IGNORED

The hamburger experiment

14 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I spent all day working on this.

Changes

- I had to get rid of the bird. I'm sorry, it was beyond my control.

That's a pity.  I liked the bird.  Oh well, it's lot all that important.

what was wrong with it anyway?

Either that or get so angry I snap and do angry things. You wouldn't believe how angry I get when something does not go right.

I do believe, I've seen some of your tantrums. :roll:

Be that as it may, I'm still interested in help, so if you want to troubleshoot whatever was wrong with the bird, let me know.

+ I did add a bonus round, though. This is what the bulk of the time today was spent on. Fixing things, and then fixing other things that were caused by fixing the first thing. Or something. Each level has a chance to get to the bonus round. To get to the bonus round at the end of each level, you must complete the level without dying

Sounds good!  I'll check it out.

+ What IS the bonus round? A round where if you shoot 10 corn cobs, you get an extra life. Failing to do so will end the round early, because there's no point in continuing to play it if you miss one.

I'm tired.

There may be a point in continuing:  Giving the player a respite from the level mechanics and scenery, and honing his skills.

That said, ending the the bonus level early is a valid design choice, just be careful to not do it too early.  I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine it would feel quite brusque if a level ends rather shortly just because I happen to fail my very first shot -- doubly so if there is some preamble I had to sit through that sets up the bonus stage, which ends up feeling longer than the level itself.

dZ.

28 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Today's changes.

+ I added a cloud to level 1.

+ I added a death song so it doesn't go silent suddenly.

+ Other little things and bug fixing attempts.

herts26.rom 18.56 kB · 1 download

Nice!  Although I prefer the bird to the cloud. :(

Some observations:

• Even though I liked the funny bird, I think the cloud blends more in the background, which is your intention.  The bird sort of makes you want to shoot at it.
  • I like the death jingle, it seems appropriate.
  • The boss now seems to "shake" when he is introduced into the screen.  I think there may be a problem with the position being offset wrongly as it moves.
  • I really suck at this game and still find the first level sort of hard.
  • I completed the first level without dying but didn't see the bonus stage.  Do I also have to kill the boss without dying to get to the bonus?

I'm enjoying this little game.  I still find your Doodlejump clone superior, but this game reminds me quite a bit of the old Government Waffle Project, which I enjoyed a lot.

I haven't been able to defeat the first boss yet, but I think I'm getting close.  Gosh, I hope the hamburgers make it to Switzerland!

-dZ.

• 1 month later...

Forgot that "calorie" is a unit of heat. So I changed it to "Cholesterol Cave". My eye was hurting real bad when I was working on this. After I worked on this, I went to sleep. Sleep seems to be the only thing that cures my eyeaches. Even barfing a ton doesn't help.

I also think I got rid of a bug that allowed the chicken nugget to shoot peas. I put in a missing "lettuceshoot=0" so hopefully that will be enough to stop it.

level6cholesterolcave.gif.1e393f619126f4e00b1ac6fb518583ed.gif

Hopefully the cave won't show up this green on a real console. I set it to "tan" (color 3), and it showed up green on jzIntv for some reason. I don't know.

The ZIP file contains a ROM and a BIN file. Press 6 at the title screen to get to the Cholesterol Cave.

herts30.zip

Here is another screenshot with more correct colors.

shot0005.gif.fb45ba8929c431fc46f2ae384e6d80b1.gif

I start up jzIntv by clicking on a ROM file and it starts up. How do I make it start up using the changed palette? I got it to work using a .bat file, but I can't figure out how I made it so it starts by clicking on a ROM file.

7 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Forgot that "calorie" is a unit of heat. So I changed it to "Cholesterol Cave".

"Calorie Cave" was good, but I think "Cholesterol Cave" is a great name!  ?

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

Here is another screenshot with more correct colors.

shot0005.gif.fb45ba8929c431fc46f2ae384e6d80b1.gif

Looks good!

-dZ.

I put the game on an LTO Flash and tested it that way. This game is a lot harder if you're not using a keyboard's arrow keys! Due to the fact that the Intellivision has, let's face it, a crappy controller. Anyway, I found a bug in the boss part where the pea didn't change its y position if you kept shooting at it. I think this has been fixed now. It was due to me living in the past where there was no boss so the enemies didn't change their y positions.

Which leads me to an idea: how about if I do change their y positions in later levels? Or perhaps that would make the game too hard?

On 5/16/2022 at 7:57 AM, atari2600land said:

I put the game on an LTO Flash and tested it that way. This game is a lot harder if you're not using a keyboard's arrow keys! Due to the fact that the Intellivision has, let's face it, a crappy controller.

Tell that to the few but real set of programmers who have made games with good and responsive controls.  Let's face it, most Intellivision programmers do not really know how the Intellivision hand-controller works and assume it is just a joystick or a d-pad, and therefore put little to no effort in implementing solutions that actually take advantage of the hardware.

There are some games out there that do successfully what you are trying to do, so perhaps the hardware is not the problem.  Of course, it's a lot easier to just read "CONT.Left," "CONT.Right," "CONT.Up," CONT.Down," etc., and assume that the player is going to touch at the precise point that such a signal represents (and for long enough for their code to discern it), with a big, human-sized thumb, on a relatively small disc sub-divided into 16 pressure points, that has absolutely no notches, ridges, or marks of any kind.

I imagine it's also very easy to shrug your shoulders and bitch about the hardware instead of trying harder to do things well.  ;)

Which leads me to an idea: how about if I do change their y positions in later levels? Or perhaps that would make the game too hard?

I haven't played your latest versions, but on the last ones I played, I recall commenting that the boss was very hard already.  I also remember them going up and down, so I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "change their y positions" ...

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

39 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Is this better? I made the controls check 16 directions instead of just 4.

I’ll try to play with it later.

39 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

The boss moves up and down like you said. I was wondering if I should make the other enemies move up and down as well as left.

Ah.  Well, that would make the game a bit more interesting, but definitely harder.

Maybe on the later levels it is warranted.  But for that, you should make the difficulty ramp not steep, so that the player can hone their skills and enjoy the earlier levels as the game gets harder and harder.

dZ.

Working on level 7: Sodium Suburbs. I don't know whether or not to keep this level in since IMO it looks similar to level 1. But I am happy with the way things have turned out with the houses.

shot0017.gif.392e4066cc23fee0b23a1689fdcf9b98.gif

So I made the action happen at night. I moved around some code. I made it so when the burger gets hit, the scrolling stops. And I fixed a code part that if the enemy gets hit while you are exploding, it will explode too and not freeze its exploding frame like it did before. I am wondering if the orange number in the level (7) should be the number of lives left and not the level #. Now all I need to do is compose music for level 7 and level 7 will be done. I need two more locations for action. Level 10 is going to be in a castle.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

To boldly go where no hamburger has been before.

A small step for a hamburger, a major leap for the hamburger race.

A hamburger race!  That's what this game needs!!  Perhaps as a bonus level.  Sort of like the Horse Racing game, but ... more meaty. :lolblue:

-dZ.

• Haha 1

I worked almost all morning and part of the afternoon (it's almost 1pm here) to get this version.

+changes+

• When you die, the background items will be in the same place.
  • Added a level 7. Press 7 on the title screen to warp to it.
  • Had to change a few levels due to me moving around the code and stuff stopped working. I had to make the mountain in level 2 be a cloud. Since there's no longer a mountain in "Mayo Mountain", I need to change the name. How about "Tomato Tundra"?
  • check starting on level 3. I might have fixed a bug about the game crashing upon start up on it.
  • I didn't solve the crashing bug after all. I don't know why. It's another case of the computer ignoring code parts again. So I'll have to leave it in. It's not very noticable.

herts35.zip