Jump to content
Mr Robot

Fujinet TNFS Server Image

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Is there a version of this that runs on XP32?

 

I hope not!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool! Wish this was around before I did it manually, the hard way!  Does it have SMB enabled to be able to copy files to the data directory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

You are evil.

 

So is Windows XP in this day and age.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Is there a version of this that runs on XP32?

 

Will not happen. Toolchains are now too new to build for it. _PLEASE_ _STOP_ _ASKING_.

 

-Thom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

 

So is Windows XP in this day and age.

You'll find out who does and does not get spied upon. Soon.

I am safe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Will not happen. Toolchains are now too new to build for it. _PLEASE_ _STOP_ _ASKING_.

 

-Thom

Thom, what format is it? if it's a DD Image, that's perfect.

Selfimage handles that.

 

Edited by Kyle22
spell error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

You'll find out who does and does not get spied upon. Soon.

I am safe.

 

OK, I'll bite.  Care to expand on that train of thought?  It's not clear to me what you're basing those premises on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kyle22 take a copy of Visual Studio 2003, and build the source code. It's the only way you'll get a viable binary that will run under XP.

I'm getting _VERY_ tired of you repeating this ignorant bullshit.

 

-Thom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

OK, I'll bite.  Care to expand on that train of thought?  It's not clear to me what you're basing those premises on.

Any technology newer than 1998 is spying on us, didn't you know?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

OK, I'll bite.  Care to expand on that train of thought?  It's not clear to me what you're basing those premises on.

OT: Look at what you agree to when you sign up w/ Win 10 / M$. They are EVIL. They spy on you. During installation of Win 10 it asks full or limited amount of data collection from you. They DON'T offer an option to turn it off completely.

Our lives are NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!

Bill Gates STOLE CP/M etc. He is a criminal.

Now he's into things EVEN WORSE than M$.

Avoid!

M$ can FORCE updates in Win10. M$ can DELETE your files that THEY don't like.

M$ = EVIL.

 

Win XP has been around for a long time and had been fully patched against threats.

 

Win 10 is still new and likely has deliberate holes and backdoors.

NEVER TRUST M$!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There haven't been any new patches to Windows XP since 2013. Do you seriously think there haven't been any new threats against the XP kernel since then?

 

You're seriously out of your depth, and you should listen to people who actually have expertise in this area.

 

And I don't trust them, really. All of my secure computing happens in Tails. Which, if you were genuinely interested in security, you'd use something like Tails, or Qubes, or even a very spartan OpenBSD installation (all of which have been and are continually audited).

 

-Thom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I post in certain forums on a different site and I have been VERY outspoken and I have never had my IP address hacked past my WRT1900AC. They have never gotten into any of my Windows machines.

I see some hack attempts at the Atari sometimes, but it can easily handle it.

 

Edited by Kyle22
glitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before going into my reply, I would like to make clear that the majority of my career from about 1998 or so has been spent in Information Security.  There are other aspects of tech that I have worked in, but infosec has been the central one for over 20 years at this point.

 

57 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

OT: Look at what you agree to when you sign up w/ Win 10 / M$. They are EVIL. They spy on you. During installation of Win 10 it asks full or limited amount of data collection from you. They DON'T offer an option to turn it off completely.

 

Our lives are NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!

Bill Gates STOLE CP/M etc. He is a criminal.

Now he's into things EVEN WORSE than M$.

Avoid!

M$ can FORCE updates in Win10. M$ can DELETE your files that THEY don't like.

M$ = EVIL.

 

Anyone has a choice of operating systems to use, and may agree or not to the terms of usage of those operating systems as they see fit.  However, my question was specifically regarding Windows XP, not subsequent Windows versions, so I'll move on.

 

Quote

Win XP has been around for a long time and had been fully patched against threats.

 

Who has provided documented assurance that this is the case?  Microsoft?  Third-party auditors?  Jim-Bob down the street?

 

It's an operating system that hasn't seen a single publically-available security patch in nearly seven years.  Seven.  That's a long time to find new vulnerabilities, exploit them, and know that there's a large conglomeration of unpatched devices out there just waiting to be owned.

 

Even enterprise entities that had been paying for post-EOL patch support (which, incidentally, only applied to certain versions of XP) were scrambling to get out from under that by 2017.  It's a dead OS, and one that's a liability in the wider scheme of things as a result.

 

Quote

Win 10 is still new and likely has deliberate holes and backdoors.

NEVER TRUST M$!

 

Don't trust anything you haven't inspected, built, and inspected again yourself.  If you're not in a position to do that (and, realistically, very few of us are), determine your trust level in what you're planning to use and evaluate and accept/reject accordingly.

 

49 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

 I post in certain forums on a different site and I have been VERY outspoken and I have never had my IP address hacked past my WRT1900AC. They have never gotten into any of my Windows machines.

I see some hack attempts at the Atari sometimes, but it can easily handle it.

 

How do you know any of this to be correct?  Again, how were these conclusions reached?

 

If the Atari is on the same network as your home LAN (which I'm guessing it is, given the consumer-grade router in use), I'd be extremely concerned for the security of the other machines.  The things you can see aren't the ones that necessarily matter; it's usually the ones that you can't or aren't seeing that do.

 

Incidentally, unless you're running that XP box inside a soundproofed Faraday-caged room set on vibration isolation mounts and are supplying it with power from a source with no ties to any external (i.e., grid) sources, spying is still an option.  Oh, and for network communication, do everything optically.  In terms of risk reduction, those are going to be your best bets.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

X=USR(58487)

 

Which is great from the standpoint of rebooting, but doesn't actually fix the problem that will still be there after the box comes back up.  It also doesn't account for vulnerabilities that may exist elsewhere in the chain - such as devices used to provide that A8 with network connectivity - which are the vulnerabilities I'd be more concerned about being exploited rather than ones that might exist in the A8 itself.

 

Still, giving a bad actor a potential pivot point to other devices on the network is a Bad Idea.  As an example, printers remain a significant problem in that regard.  Just because the A8's an A8 doesn't mean that security through obscurity is a good approach, either.

 

Believe me, I get where you're coming from: my test VoIP BBS was running on Synchronet under Windows XP until about 2019.  But I was also clear as to the risks of doing so, which meant that the OS was running in a VM with no network connectivity; the nearest it came to that was passthrough of a USB modem from the host.  Unless someone managed to leverage a seriously low-level VMWare exploit from it (in which case I would have had much bigger problems on my hands), it was fairly safe - but even then, the potential for problems still remained.  This was the main reason for it being ditched entirely and rebuilt from scratch on hardware with an OS that still had a good chunk of its support lifecycle left.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking to a counting parking meter has probably more effect... 

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I've created a Raspberry Pi image with everything already configured. Just write the image to a micro SD card, change the WIFI settings and put it in your Raspberry Pi.

 

https://atari8bit.net/projects/raspberry-pi-fujinet-tnfs-server-image/

 

While I already had my own manually built TNFS server on an RPi, I thought I'd give this a try. It seemed to work just fine, but then I noticed the Wifi was not enabled - it didn't seem to even recognize there was Wifi available. I didn't notice at first, as my Pi is connected with an ethernet cable to my network. When I went to connect to it via ssh, I was getting errors about 'rfkill' not available.

rfkill: cannot open /dev/rfkill: Permission denied
rfkill: cannot read /dev/rfkill: Bad file descriptor

 

I traced it to the Wifi not recognized. Doing the 'iwconfig' command returns:

[email protected]:/etc/network $ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

[email protected]:/etc/network $ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

I tried to look up the problem and found command to try to manually start up the wifi, but it didn't work:

 

[email protected]:/boot $ sudo service wpa_supplicant stop
[email protected]:/boot $ ps -A | grep 'wpa'
[email protected]:/boot $ ps -A | grep wpa
[email protected]:/boot $ sudo wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found
Failed to initialize driver 'nl80211'

So I gave up and went back to my configured server (but am adding AFP support).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tsom said:

While I already had my own manually built TNFS server on an RPi, I thought I'd give this a try. It seemed to work just fine, but then I noticed the Wifi was not enabled - it didn't seem to even recognize there was Wifi available. I didn't notice at first, as my Pi is connected with an ethernet cable to my network. When I went to connect to it via ssh, I was getting errors about 'rfkill' not available.

rfkill: cannot open /dev/rfkill: Permission denied
rfkill: cannot read /dev/rfkill: Bad file descriptor

 

I traced it to the Wifi not recognized. Doing the 'iwconfig' command returns:

[email protected]:/etc/network $ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

[email protected]:/etc/network $ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

I tried to look up the problem and found command to try to manually start up the wifi, but it didn't work:

 

[email protected]:/boot $ sudo service wpa_supplicant stop
[email protected]:/boot $ ps -A | grep 'wpa'
[email protected]:/boot $ ps -A | grep wpa
[email protected]:/boot $ sudo wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found
Failed to initialize driver 'nl80211'

So I gave up and went back to my configured server (but am adding AFP support).

 

 

Did you modify the wpa supplicant config in the boot partition, as it says in the doc?

-Thom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...