IGNORED

Fujinet TNFS Server Image

Mr Robot

39 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Did you modify the wpa supplicant config in the boot partition, as it says in the doc?

-Thom

I certainly did.

and I verified it in the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file after.

Edited by tsom

49 minutes ago, tsom said:

While I already had my own manually built TNFS server on an RPi, I thought I'd give this a try. It seemed to work just fine, but then I noticed the Wifi was not enabled - it didn't seem to even recognize there was Wifi available. I didn't notice at first, as my Pi is connected with an ethernet cable to my network. When I went to connect to it via ssh, I was getting errors about 'rfkill' not available.

rfkill: cannot open /dev/rfkill: Permission denied
rfkill: cannot read /dev/rfkill: Bad file descriptor

I traced it to the Wifi not recognized. Doing the 'iwconfig' command returns:

pi@tnfs:/etc/network $ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

pi@tnfs:/etc/network $ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

I tried to look up the problem and found command to try to manually start up the wifi, but it didn't work:

pi@tnfs:/boot $ sudo service wpa_supplicant stop
pi@tnfs:/boot $ ps -A | grep 'wpa'
pi@tnfs:/boot $ ps -A | grep wpa
pi@tnfs:/boot $ sudo wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found
Failed to initialize driver 'nl80211'

So I gave up and went back to my configured server (but am adding AFP support).

What model Raspberry pi did you use? 

10 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

What model Raspberry pi did you use? 

3B I believe. I know Wifi works, as using my original setup, I can access it

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"Salem"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 14:22:DB:AE:33:06
          Bit Rate=11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=31 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-35 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:1  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

2 hours ago, tsom said:

3B I believe. I know Wifi works, as using my original setup, I can access it

Might want to verify if it's a 3B or 3B+ if there's any question as to which one it may be.  The plus models substantially changed the wifi chipset over the 3B as well as a number of other things.

FWIW, I have both 3Bs and 3B+es here if any testing needs to be done.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

23 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I just tried it on a 3B and a 3B+, also a 2B and a 1 with USB wifi dongles in them and it worked fine in all of them. 

I'd try writing the card and setting up the wpa_supplicant.conf again, it's definitely something screwy at your end @tsom!

Ok, I'll give it a try :)

Thanks

15 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I just tried it on a 3B and a 3B+, also a 2B and a 1 with USB wifi dongles in them and it worked fine in all of them. 

I'd try writing the card and setting up the wpa_supplicant.conf again, it's definitely something screwy at your end @tsom!

Well, I just tried re-imaging and it still does not see any WIFI. I had to use an ethernet cable to even access the Pi.

Warning: the ECDSA host key for 'tnfs.local' differs from the key for the IP address '192.168.7.119'
Offending key for IP in /Users/johntsombakos/.ssh/known_hosts:21
Matching host key in /Users/johntsombakos/.ssh/known_hosts:22
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
pi@tnfs.local's password:
Linux tnfs 5.4.83-v7+ #1379 SMP Mon Dec 14 13:08:57 GMT 2020 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
rfkill: cannot open /dev/rfkill: Permission denied
rfkill: cannot read /dev/rfkill: Bad file descriptor
pi@tnfs:~ $ iwconfig

from cat /proc/cpuinfo:

Hardware	: BCM2835
Revision	: a02082
Serial		: 00000000cec343fd
Model		: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

Yeah rfkill isn't running. It's almost like disable_wifi has been set in config.txt it's very odd. I have one pi it happens on. I'm rebuilding the image using that pi, I shall try it on all the others when I'm done and upload a new image to the website if it's ok everywhere.

• Like 1

OK I've uploaded a new version of the server image to my website. I built this using the Pi3 that didn't work with the old server image and tested it with a PI1B/2B/3B/3B+/4B/Zero/ZeroW. For the non-Wi-Fi equipped Pi's I used Edimax USB Wi-Fi adapters. I don't have any model A boards or compute modules to test with.

Give that a try!

14 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

OK I've uploaded a new version of the server image to my website. I built this using the Pi3 that didn't work with the old server image and tested it with a PI1B/2B/3B/3B+/4B/Zero/ZeroW. For the non-Wi-Fi equipped Pi's I used Edimax USB Wi-Fi adapters. I don't have any model A boards or compute modules to test with.

Give that a try!

That did it! Wifi is now working! (Initially I wasn't able to see it or connect to it, so had to use the ethernet cable. Then I realized I was a dumb** and forgot to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file! Doh! Quick edit and it's all set)

Thanks!

• Like 1

Looks like there may be an issue with the Samba service. Looking into it now:

pi@tnfs:/etc/samba $ sudo systemctl restart smbd
Job for smbd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status smbd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
pi@tnfs:/etc/samba $ systemctl status smbd.service
● smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2021-01-13 06:37:35 CST; 12s ago
     Docs: man:smbd(8)
           man:samba(7)
           man:smb.conf(5)
  Process: 648 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/samba/update-apparmor-samba-profile (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 649 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group $SMBDOPTIONS (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
 Main PID: 649 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Jan 13 06:37:35 tnfs systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
Jan 13 06:37:35 tnfs systemd[649]: smbd.service: Failed to execute command: Exec format error
Jan 13 06:37:35 tnfs systemd[649]: smbd.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/sbin/smbd: Exec format error
Jan 13 06:37:35 tnfs systemd[1]: smbd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Jan 13 06:37:35 tnfs systemd[1]: smbd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 13 06:37:35 tnfs systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba SMB Daemon.

There may be bigger issues here:

pi@tnfs:/etc/samba $ testparm
testparm: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libsmbconf.so.0: invalid ELF header

pi@tnfs:/etc/samba $ sudo apt update
Get:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease [32.6 kB]
Get:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease [15.0 kB]
Get:3 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster/main armhf Packages [351 kB]
Fetched 399 kB in 2s (192 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Edited by tsom

30 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

hmm do a apt-get update and upgrade

I did, that's where I'm getting the error above

pi@tnfs:~ $ sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Hit:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
pi@tnfs:~ $

I did try some solutions I found online (replacing the status file with a backup, etc. but it didn't help)

I tried to update the time zone via raspi-config and it threw a boatload of errors also (this is just the end of the errors, most scrolled off)

line 1083.
Use of uninitialized value $value in substitution (s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <__ANONIO__> line 1084.
Use of uninitialized value $value in substitution (s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <__ANONIO__> line 1085.
Use of uninitialized value $value in substitution (s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <__ANONIO__> line 1086.
Use of uninitialized value $value in substitution (s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <__ANONIO__> line 1087.
Use of uninitialized value $value in substitution (s///) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <__ANONIO__> line 1088.
Use of uninitialized value $item in hash element at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/File.pm line 85, <__ANONIO__> chunk 1088.
dpkg-query: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 0:
 end of file during value of field '_ENSC_18_Mod_range_hashingENSC_20_Default_ranged_hashENSC_20_Prime_rehash_policyENSC_17_Hashtable_traitsILb1ELb0ELb1EEEE19_M_allocate_bucketsEj' (missing final newline)
dpkg-query: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 0:
 end of file during value of field '_ENSC_18_Mod_range_hashingENSC_20_Default_ranged_hashENSC_20_Prime_rehash_policyENSC_17_Hashtable_traitsILb1ELb0ELb1EEEE19_M_allocate_bucketsEj' (missing final newline)
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: tzdata is not installed

Edited by tsom

It looks like the pishrink.sh corrupted a few blocks in the image somehow. I'm getting the same issue here with the shrunk image but not the pre shrink image. 

I'll try rebuilding it later.

The 16gb µSD I used is throwing read errors, it looks like I wore it out. I've ordered some more, will be here tomorrow.

OK V1.3 of the image is now uploaded, this time there are no block errors and I checked the MD5's of the image after backing it up twice to make sure it was OK. 

I've added a command. If you type 'sudo tnfsupd' at a command prompt it will grab the latest code from github, compile it and replace the existing TNFSD daemon with the new version. 

• Like 1

OK. NOT trying to start a flame war. The version of Windows is irrelevant here. SelfImage works perfectly w/ XP32. But.

The problem is the Pi boots the image fine. I can log in at the console. There is no wlan0 device. I believe this a Pi3 device.

I am looking for a link to the image of TNFS server for Pi3.

Thanks.

If you downloaded the image before my last post, download it again.

The SD card I was using to build the server was nearly end of life and started giving bad blocks. I got some new cards and built a new image today which I've tested on a Pi3 and a PiZeroW

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

If you downloaded the image before my last post, download it again.

The SD card I was using to build the server was nearly end of life and started giving bad blocks. I got some new cards and built a new image today which I've tested on a Pi3 and a PiZeroW

Will give this a try this afternoon and report back. 

On 1/15/2021 at 4:16 PM, Mr Robot said:

OK V1.3 of the image is now uploaded, this time there are no block errors and I checked the MD5's of the image after backing it up twice to make sure it was OK. 

I've added a command. If you type 'sudo tnfsupd' at a command prompt it will grab the latest code from github, compile it and replace the existing TNFSD daemon with the new version. 

I installed this version and noticed that the wpa_supplicant.conf file was not at the root of the image on the SD card. I booted the Pi and had to use the ethernet card to connect to it. I edited the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file and rebooted, but that didn't seem to work, but when I used raspi-config to set the SSID and password, that got everything working. So far anyway :) apt-get update works now too.

Thanks!