IGNORED

Planning to post these in the Buy & Sell Section

Omega-TI

I'm in the process of "downsizing" and need to get rid of some stuff.  Since I have an Atarimax, I really don't need these cartridges.  The thing is, I want to sell them all at once so I don't have to screw around making multiple trips giving most of the money to the post office.  I know I'll never get out of them what I paid for them, but I need to know, what's a fair price?  I'm thinking $8.00 a cartridge sounds fair, so, $136.00+$20.00 for shipping and round down to an even number say, $150.00.  Is that out of line?

2107515055_VIEW2.thumb.jpg.ac37e6da04c1feee9d34dbb9c4a9adb3.jpg804442372_VIEW1.thumb.jpg.ba442765d38fd3fc91c62d5310590682.jpg

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE VIEW

So many views and not a single reply.  I guess that would be understandable if I was some anonymous joker off the street who had never posted a message on AtariAge before, but I've been here for years. I thought at least one expert here would let me know if the price was fair or out of line.  TI-99/4A stuff is my ballpark, I'm not to with it on Atari 5200 stuff.

I don't play on, or collect for the 5200.  But if I did, I would pass on $8.00 each for a set of carts that are essentially the most common.  You might get more traction by selling them as separates for people who want to get something they already have, but with a better label.  Yours appear to be in really nice condition.

Also...forum denizens tend to punish posters who put their stuff in the wrong forum by ignoring the post.  I get that you DO ask for some feedback on the price, but many readers may not get that far after deciding that this is simply a "for sale" post in the wrong place.

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pixelmischief said:

I don't play on, or collect for the 5200.  But if I did, I would pass on $8.00 each for a set of carts that are essentially the most common.  You might get more traction by selling them as separates for people who want to get something they already have, but with a better label.  Yours appear to be in really nice condition.

Thanks, but if I sold them separately, I would take forever and I'd be giving them away as a flat rate mailer is $8.30 + $3.55 extra for certified, or $11.85.  Plus all the extra trips to the post offices, so individually is not worth it to me.  I lowered what I originally thought to $135.00.  I'm still taking a loss, but it's at least worth the time this way to send them to a good home.

I hear where you're coming from on all of this, but it seems like you've hit on the crux of the matter: people have moved towards the devices like the Atarimax for many of the same reasons you have.  Finding space for More Stuff requires dedication that a lot of us either just don't have, or have but are constrained by available physical space.

My suggestion would be to see if you can get them to go as a lot on eBay.  Obviously, that entails dealing with eBay, but you'll reach a wider audience that may not be dealing with a lot of thee same restrictions those of us here are.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Thanks 1

Just now, x=usr(1536) said:

I hear where you're coming from on all of this, but it seems like you've hit on the crux of the matter: people have moved towards the Atarimax for many of the same reasons you have.  Finding space for More Stuff requires dedication that a lot of us either just don't have, or have but are constricted by physical space.

My suggestion would be to see if you can get them to go as a lot on eBay.  Obviously, that entails dealing with eBay, but you'll reach a wider audience that may not be dealing with a lot of thee same restrictions those of us here are.

Very good point.  Different people do different things with the hobby, some collect like packrats, others stick it all in one cartridge.  Before the Atarimax came to my attention, I was doing the individual cartridge route.   I'm very leery of selling on Ebay as I've read horror stories of sellers get screwed.  I may try selling a few things there in the coming weeks if the items get no action here.

• Like 1

yeah, you're basically facing a problem here of offering the most common carts as a lot.  I recently tried to give away (!) a set of about 10 commons on here, and ended up trading them for 1 homebrew cart (i.e. nobody wanted them for the cost of shipping). 5200 isnt the most collectable system, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

For someone who already owns a 5200 you have alot of carts they most likely already have.  Trying to sell as a lot those "dups" for others are pretty much $0 to them.  As a lot Id almost think you'd be lucky to get $90 shipped.  Just my $0.02

Maybe create 2 lots - super commons and the rest

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, rayik said:

Without the boxes and manuals you are not going to get $8 each.  TBH I would not want want them if they were free plus cost of shipping

Sad, but true right here. Not to say that they are not fun games (Popeye is one of my favorites!) but there is not much value in loose common 5200 games. Most people who are into the 5200 either have all of these already or have an Atarimax cart and don't care (like you). I'd try for what Shawn said and try to get $50. Maybe $65 shipped and then ship them all in a $15 medium flat rate priority mail box....and walk away with $50 ;)

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 9:50 AM, eightbit said:

Sad, but true right here. Not to say that they are not fun games (Popeye is one of my favorites!) but there is not much value in loose common 5200 games. Most people who are into the 5200 either have all of these already or have an Atarimax cart and don't care (like you). I'd try for what Shawn said and try to get $50. Maybe $65 shipped and then ship them all in a $15 medium flat rate priority mail box....and walk away with $50 ;)

I might do this, it seems like a shame after all the effort I put into obtaining and restoring a couple of them, but I gotta get rid of stuff.  (sigh)

4 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

I might do this, it seems like a shame after all the effort I put into obtaining and restoring a couple of them, but I gotta get rid of stuff.  (sigh)

I don't understand why you have to get rid of them. You showed your set up and they are tucked away nicely in that desk with your 5200. Are you also getting rid of the set up you have it all on perhaps?

This is how much lot like yours sells for on Ebay:

15 games for $29

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-15-Atari-5200-Games-by-Atari-Tested-and-Working/143911337730?hash=item2181c8bf02:g:UWoAAOSws~Rf92mI

16 games for $52

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-Lot-Of-16-Games-No-Boxes-or-Manuals-See-Pic-For-Titles/333848946071?hash=item4dbaf2a597:g:kokAAOSwWKBf9en6

For some reason I had much more luck selling on Ebay than on forums, I don't know why. I had some Amiga 2000 keyboards for sale on various forums and Ebay, I had more luck on Ebay. I lowered the price on forums, because no selling fees, and you pay no tax, but I had no takers. Same for Nintendo DS games.

Ebay is not so bad, do some price research on currently available game lots, then price it below average price. Ebay takes about 12% from sale.

So far I had good customers, no complaints. Make sure you describe it properly, show defects, test them, say it's not collector quality etc.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:19 PM, Shawn said:

Hense why commons have so little value but $50 is $50 and it gets them out of your way.

I have to agree. Now if you bundled them with a console and working controllers, you may get more value out of them and a buyer looking to get into the 5200 might buy them for a bit more. Just gotta figure out what the market will pay for that.

On 1/17/2021 at 9:03 AM, Omega-TI said:

It's not just with Atari 5200 games IMO. I'm sadly in the same situation with a much larger classic game collection. I need to create some room in my place so I should get rid of my entire collection but while I spent a lot of money and time getting it all, it will most likely end up in the dumpster.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:39 AM, rxd said:

It's not just with Atari 5200 games IMO. I'm sadly in the same situation with a much larger classic game collection. I need to create some room in my place so I should get rid of my entire collection but while I spent a lot of money and time getting it all, it will most likely end up in the dumpster.

Why not donate them?

On 1/17/2021 at 10:46 AM, Shawn said:

I don't understand why you have to get rid of them. You showed your set up and they are tucked away nicely in that desk with your 5200. Are you also getting rid of the set up you have it all on perhaps?

No, I'm in the process of downsizing and simply cannot justify a bunch of redundant stuff hanging around.  I was originally going to keep my Tempest cart, but maybe that could be used as a sweetener?

TEMPEST.thumb.PNG.aa67749e961ff0831dab55b01546526a.PNG

• Like 1