IGNORED

Super Mario 3D World!

awbacon

Finished this recently and really enjoyed it. Of course its frustrating to have it rereleased presumably with a few additions (ok just looked it up and saw bowsers fury) on the next gen to original release, but this seems to be common these days. Don't have a switch yet but look forward to buying it again when its like £10 or whatever. £50 on release? phew! no thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 8:59 AM, Mikebloke said:

Finished this recently and really enjoyed it. Of course its frustrating to have it rereleased presumably with a few additions (ok just looked it up and saw bowsers fury) on the next gen to original release, but this seems to be common these days. Don't have a switch yet but look forward to buying it again when its like £10 or whatever. £50 on release? phew! no thanks.

Bowser's Fury at least looks like a solid add on for the money 

Not at full price for Wii U owners like ourselves, but this is one I'll personally be watching down the road in hope of a sale or a revival one day of their Player's Choice/Nintendo Selects line.

We're getting a resolution bump, some new content that even if short should still be entertaining, and the speeded up movement of the characters perhaps will give it a bit of a different feel that I'm hoping remixes the gameplay slightly for those of us real familiar with the original. I believe it even features online play now, which I could actually see taking advantage of with someone here at AtariAge.

So it's all very tempting for any of us that loved the Wii U original like I did, but just not $60 tempting.

Edited by Atariboy

6 hours ago, Tempest said:

Unless that Bowsers Fury add on is substantial I can't see myself double dipping on this.  Not until it drops in price anyway.

Ditto.

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

We're getting a resolution bump, some new content that even if short should still be entertaining, and the speeded up movement of the characters perhaps will give it a bit of a different feel that I'm hoping remixes the gameplay slightly for those of us real familiar with the original. I believe it even features online play now, which I could actually see taking advantage of with someone here at AtariAge.

And, I assume, the removal of the Gamepad features?

Sadly, I think the handful of levels with gamepad features still has them in a way.

Without the Wii U gamepad though, I'd personally rather see the level or two with platforms that move based on touch commands be traditionalized. And it sounds like the platforms that you blow on the mic to make them move upwards are still there in a couple of levels.

On Switch, you'll just be using the Joycon as a pointer now to activate them (And presumably, it works the same way with a Pro Controller). Since there was so little of this in the entire game and their solution sounds like too much of a compromise to me, I'd rather of seen those few levels modified so that these platforms move in a conventional manner.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:56 PM, Atariboy said:

Not at full price for Wii U owners like ourselves, but this is one I'll personally be watching down the road in hope of a sale or a revival one day of their Player's Choice/Nintendo Selects line.

So it's all very tempting for any of us that loved the Wii U original like I did, but just not $60 tempting.

I hope the new content is long. I don't want to be done with Bowser's Fury in two hours

• 2 months later...

Bowser's Fury is fun but not worth the price of an A title game...if you already own SMW 3D on the Wii U, that is. I was hoping for a bit more polishing up of the Wii U game but that didn't seem to happen. Still a fantastic game and a must for a Mario fan as teaming up with Bowser Jr is fun for a short time. It fells like an extra level of SM Odyssey more than an extension to SMW 3D.

• 1 month later...

Got this with my Wii U years ago and loved it. It's basically a 2D Mario set in a 3D environment and it works great. The only 2 things I didn't like were the unnecessary gamepad implementation and having star requirements for some of the final levels. Outside of thise minor gripes it is a fantastic game.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BawesomeBurf said:

The only 2 things I didn't like were ... having star requirements for some of the final levels.

Mario games have been like that for FOREVER, though. Since at least Mario 64, although Super Mario World had shades of it.

• 2 months later...

I started playing this for the first time last night on the Wii U. It’s a lot of fun so far. I’m not sure if I like the cat suit more than throwing fireballs, but it fits the level design nicely. I can see where a faster pace would be nice. It doesn’t feel slow to me so far, but it would add a nice challenge as I don’t think I’ve died a single time yet. I think I’m on the 5 or 6th stage, the one right before the first castle.

I really like the aesthetic and I hope they do more games like this one.

Sorry to derail a little but the other game I’m currently playing a lot is Advance wars. Nintendo did themselves a disservice by forgetting about this series. I never owned a GBA so going back and playing these wonderful games on the Wii U is amazing. I really like the look of GBA games so far on the Wii U gamepad. It’s like playing an adult sized gameboy.

I came back to edit this post. It looks like Nintendo is releasing a new advance wars game for the switch in December. I might have to pick me up a Switch lite for work to play it.