IGNORED

MegaSTE - options for higher rez TOS?

Xebec

Hi folks!

I'm looking to get back into the ST a bit again (after a lot of time on the 8-bit and some time on the Amiga 1200)..    I have a 520STm (favorite for size) w/2.5MB RAM, 1040 STfm 1MB, and a Mega STE w/4MB.  I also have an UltraSatan and a Gotek Pro internal to the Mega STE.  I also have the Netusbee adapter.

I'd like to mess around in TOS a but, play with BBS Software - hosting and dialing (Wifi232), write and compile a C program or two, and of course play games (HDD adapted and floppy based).

I remember ST TOS and BBS stuff was *great* at ST high rez (though mono), and was decent at ST medium but not great at Low (more colors but 40 columns).  I also believe you can easily switch between medium and low, but high always requires a reboot.    

Are there any ways to switch between high and medium/low without rebooting?    What is the monitor solution in this case?   Are there any aftermarket upgrades that are buyable for the MegaSTE that allow other resolution options? (i.e. on the Amiga there is an awesome Indivision adapter that clamps on top of Denise or Lisa and gives you higher resolution modes that make Workbench quite usable on a modern monitor).  

P.S.  I have the SC1224 and a SM124 mono, and I also have some kind of scan doubler that will allow me to use a LCD, as well as a RetroTink pro if that helps..  Lastly, I think I have a Best Electronics Multisync cable for the ST, and I *know* I have a 19" multisync PC monitor I'd be happy to adapt for ST usage.  

Another possibility is an inline VGA adapter, like this:

https://centuriontech.eu/product/st2vga-r4/

You will still need a monitor that can handle the signal or a scan-doubler.  Also, you will still need to reboot when switching between color and monochrome.  What IS nice, however, is that if you use ST Medium on a wide-screen monitor, it stretches the image back out, so you get 80 columns wide in a color mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snarkdluG said:

There is the Nova VME card that uses a ET4000AX ISA gfx card (and ATI Mach32 I think) for the Mega STe.

Is there any source for buying these today?

And how does it work -- do you use one monitor for TOS, but if you run a program that runs at ST Low/Medium resolutions it outputs to a separate monitor?  or does this re-route everything through the Nova card?

(and are there any other VME to ISA adapters out there that I could then stick a Tseng 4000 card in , since Nova cards may be hard to get?) 

Thanks! 

You can buy both the adapter and a Mach chipset video card.  I just did it.  As far as how it works, you need to run NVDI with the Mach driver.  The system will first output via the onboard display and then switch to the video card when the driver loads.  It's a bitch to get set up, but pretty reliable after that.  I use a VGA auto-switcher to get both the bootup and the card video in pretty seamless fashion.

3 minutes ago, pixelmischief said:

You can buy both the adapter and a Mach chipset video card.  I just did it.  As far as how it works, you need to run NVDI with the Mach driver.  The system will first output via the onboard display and then switch to the video card when the driver loads.  It's a bitch to get set up, but pretty reliable after that.  I use a VGA auto-switcher to get both the bootup and the card video in pretty seamless fashion.

Thanks sir!   Now to figure out where to buy a VME to ISA adapter since Google isn't being helpful..  :)