IGNORED

New Injection mold Atari 2600/7800 cases...

Sikor

Probably in next 6/7 month. I try made is niversal for A2600 and A7800. First visualisation here ;)

ATARI2600_1a.thumb.png.ab52684071e408cc571409e8958db100.pngATARI2600_1b.thumb.png.205e61bc7e765892809653a2c213cf3f.pngATARI2600_2a.thumb.png.7fff8db2f4fc8f2ce53534b10b0387ee.pngATARI2600_2b.thumb.png.ad9abe7af05581f512b92b4490c916c1.png

I will try to 3D print them within a few days to check the correct dimensions. When everything is ok - let me know and start working on the injection mold.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Can you share a picture of what the label side will look like please?

EDIT: Using pegs instead of clips and\or a screw(s) is a bad idea. I share this as someone who has bought and sold thousands of homebrews and reproduction cartridges using all different flavors of shells. Before you invest in a mold please take into consideration the needs of the user base who would be interested in buying these from you. Another guy recently made a mold and he did so making changes to the original design that many of those who would have bought hundreds of new shells did not like and refuse to buy because of it. That is of course only if you intend on selling shells. If this is just for your own needs, have at it as you please :)  

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

EDIT: Using pegs instead of clips and\or a screw(s) is a bad idea. I share this as someone who has bought and sold thousands of homebrews and reproduction cartridges using all different flavors of shells. Before you invest in a mold please take into consideration the needs of the user base who would be interested in buying these from you. Another guy recently made a mold and he did so making changes to the original design that many of those who would have bought hundreds of new shells did not like and refuse to buy because of it.

I made it in shells for Atari 8-bit and - you belive or not - it works perfectly. Of coursw this is early version of this project. Link to Atari 8-bit shells:

More info from post #226

Label will be identical as in original Atari 2600 shells.

4 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

Dust cover openers would be VERY helpful. 

1 hour ago, batari said:

They are more than helpful, they are necessary on a 2600!

Now I know about that. It will be added - I have 6 A2600 jr (all PAL, one from Taiwan, 5 from Ireland), one CA160 PAL and no one has dust cover at cartridge port, so, I miss it. But it will be done - i look on internet for dust covered A2600 cartridge port.  Thanks for info.

Btw: maybe someone can attach detailed photo with A2600 cartridge port with dust cover? Thanks.

1) Those pins will be hard to fill.

2) Remember, you need a draft angle on all vertical walls (including the pins) to ensure that the part is easily released.

3) Counter sunk screws in the center are a good idea.

I have modeled the upper half of an Imagic case in Onshape.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1f5de36771310af3539fde57/w/55ca7edba594262a043b2581/e/960538071e27c1bfd713b311

21 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Another peg?  I hope you don't plan on selling these and are just making them for yourself.

Yes, I plan to sell them and they are for pegs. There is no compulsion to buy, in the XE version they fulfill their task perfectly. And yes,some of them for me ;)

19 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

Who wants those big holes on the front? I sure wouldn't have them. The labels fall or get pushed through.

They are necessary for the correct removal of the dust cover opener.  Can be done without them, but the cost of preparing the injection mold increases too. You can also make an opening mechanism like in Atari Warner cartridges, but as above - there is an additional element. And the holes are identical to the original housings for the A7800 (I was based on the housing from Food Fight).

And original shells have the six tabs, three on each side.

Yes, and they can break out fairly easily. Additionally, housings with them require screws. The idea here is a screwless closure and a universal housing for the A2600 and A7800. What will come of it? Time will tell.

What is a round about cost for a mold for shells anyways?

Between $ 10,000 and $ 12,000. And that's on the condition that there aren't too many corrections. The lack of holes under the label is about 20-25% more (it all depends on how much we want to spoil the rest of the housing to properly bring the ABS).

7 hours ago, RamrodHare said:

The pegs just don't seem like a good idea. Seems like most people agree on that. With the cost of injection molding, I'd try to make a design people were interested in buying. That's the only way to recoup the investment. That's just my opinion, maybe I'm wrong..

You are not wrong.

Sikor,

I think the pins can be made to work.  The major issue from my viewpoint is the large through holes that the label covers.  These allow label damage.  Perhaps a 3 piece design where the tabs are molded onto a separate part that fits inside the housing.  The part and some ribs to hold it in place would not be complicated for the tool designer and may save him the trouble of creating a shut off plane for the metal pins that form the holes. 

I am agnostic on the side pins but the center pin really should be replaced with a screw hole. I know you did this on an 8-bit shell but keep in mind those shells are small and thick, and the 2600/7800 shells are large with thin walls and really need that screw to help keep the board in place. I will also reiterate the concern about the holes under the label. If it only increases the cost by 20-25% to eliminate them, that is a bargain!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shawn said:

Why people who have decided to make molds with the intent to sell them to others keep going against what the masses actually want to buy is beyond me. Trying to reinvent the wheel is a futile and fruitless effort.

Maybe because I already know from practice that 8 out of 10 votes will be contradictory, because everyone sees it differently. Therefore, I make assumptions and I do not change some things, although I do not claim that I do not make mistakes. But only the one who does nothing is not mistaken. Sorry for the google translation, but my english is too weak for me to translate it well myself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Having gone through many iterations designing a cartridge myself, I feel that I have a good handle on the issues you face when making a good design. It does not seem to me that you are really prepared to listen/adjust your thinking about the design. I, too, think you are making some mistakes. But, so be it.  Good luck.

• Like 5

When I was thinking about developing them, I considered putting in screws in the lower corners under a removable cover, and not under the label. Why? As a hobby part, they didn't have to be uber cheap to assemble like mass produced parts, and this would facilitate taking them apart to change things if so desired. The removable cover would also allow for access to dip switches or whatever a homebrewer saw fit to put under it. I also would make the label end not split up the middle, but be complete and part of one half, or a third part like these Serpac project cases in the attached pic. This would preserve the end label upon disassembly and also facilitate connectors, and such to be easily added.

m series categoryend-panels-m-series-big.pngend-panels-a-series-cutout.png222 two piece electric enclosure

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 2