IGNORED

What is this 1050 mod?

gollumer

Years ago I picked up a second 1050 drive, in my original drive bit the dust. I haven't used either in years, but spent time this weekend setting up my 800XL and 1050 drive. I found the second drive, and had completely forgot it was modded: there are two switches mounted on the front.

I opened it up to see if I could tell what it was, but I have no clue. I didn't take the drive mechanism out to see what might be on the main board. The switches are connected to a small board, which has wires going to the back of the unit (see pics...middle pic, the connector on the left) and another set of wires going underneath the drive mechanism. I don't know what those are connected to.

Anyone know what those switches are used for? The drive works...I was able to boot off a dos disk, as well as a program disk. I haven't touched the switches, though.

Pics aattached.

Thanks.

PXL_20210112_191016940.jpg

PXL_20210112_190747035.jpg

PXL_20210112_190736564.jpg

Here's a thread of mine where I posted pictures of a Happy drive I acquired with a controller that needed repair. The happy PCB in that case had a single 8KB SRAM chip, vs earlier version that had 3 2K chips (6KB RAM total)

You can use the 7.1 ATR's attached to this post for diagnostics and other stuff:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/283666-archive-of-happy-backup-software/?do=findComment&comment=4127979

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

do you know if the atarimax happy clone can have a controller retrofitted?

The headers are not present on the AtariMax board... But there is some discussions that describe the specific conditions the switches present to the CPU/RIOT:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/256683-altirra-280-released/page/17/?tab=comments#comment-3684109

Without the controller, write protect can still be overridden easily with a toggle switch on J11 on any 1050...