IGNORED

Atari ST - VGA - Dell u2412m

retrofez

Guys,

I really hope you learned clever clogs can help. I bought the vga cable from coolnovelties and I'm running a Dell u2412m. Arguably amongst the best monitors that still support 15Khz. 

Problem is when playing games I get these horrible lines in the image.

Any thoughts as to why?

I've tried another monitor and have the same issue. (identical monitor)

I'm wondering if the cable is just sub-par?

IMG_0279.jpg

Where did you buy that? (realised yours is the ubeswitch)

I've found a couple with wildly different prices:

https://www.ataristsales.co.uk/shop/parts-and-spares/atari-st-parts-and-spares/atari-st-custom-upgrades/ubeswitch-mk6-v1-3-video-sound-adaptor-atari-st-computer-din-vga-colour-and-high-res-mono/

https://centuriontech.eu/product/st2vga-r4/

I've ordered the centurion tech one. I'l get back to you guys with the results when it arrives.

Apparently it's on back order. 

£60 for the ubeswitch seemed a bit steep by comparison.

Edited by retrofez
Updated with new info

I used a BEST Electronics VGA cable for a while with an NEC MultiSync LCD1970VX. Low resolution looked well enough, but medium resolution was mediocre at best. high resolution looked decent with enough adjustments. Now, though, I use an OSSC and I can use any HDMI compatible display that I want. I use a Cool Novelties RGB to SCART cable with the OSSC and low and medium resolution are picture perfect for me. Honestly, I rarely use high resolution.

The OSSC does a great job, but it's not cheap. Also, for anyone that might be considering that route, I'd definitely hold out a little longer for the OSSC Pro now.

Edited by bfollowell

45 minutes ago, retrofez said:

Where did you buy that? (realised yours is the ubeswitch)

£60 for the ubeswitch seemed a bit steep by comparison.

I notice even yours Robson, has faint lines. Why is it we can't get that absolutely flawless picture? I've got an RGB scarf cable and I think the picture on a crt looks better! Maybe pair that with an OSSC.

I agree about pricing. I didn't buy it, since the sources are available I made a batch for myself and friends.

Yes, even on mine have those lines, this is why I took this many photos. I only showed my montior setup because it's the same model as yours but I don't use any STs with this at all. I have a smaller LCD TV (Syncmaster 940MW) with scart (or CM8833MK2)  if I want decent quality.

The thing is that something can display the signal, doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job. As you said proper signal conversion needed. But still might not give you the same crystal clean/sharp result you expect. I used scart - HDMI converter (then HDMI-DVI adapter to the monitor) before. I can try to dig out an image if you're interested in seeing that.

Edited by Robson
  • Like 1

You've clearly done lot's of research into this. I'm interested in anything you have time to show to be honest.

I'm happy to return the favour when this adapters arrive. Although it has to be said, my instincts are telling me the best result will be from my trusty RGB smart cable and an OSSC.

Just mentioned it as an alternative I used before, since it wasn't your original question. But worked for me keeping the VGA input for the falcon and the dvi for the ST, while the PC was on the display port. 

This was a scart to hdmi scaler and then I used an hdmi to dvi to the u2412m.  

DSC08749.JPG

20151014_212010.jpg

Edited by Robson

On 1/14/2021 at 6:11 AM, bfollowell said:

The OSSC does a great job, but it's not cheap. Also, for anyone that might be considering that route, I'd definitely hold out a little longer for the OSSC Pro now.

I recently purchased a OSSC because I’m done buying old monitors to run my retro gear. I spent the morning setting it up.  I’m using a ubeswitch so I can display all three resolutions. The results are outstanding.

0CAE68CE-5671-4FEE-917C-A5D26E50EA8F.thumb.jpeg.cbf64b9406b9b70e8eb16fb030be4019.jpeg

BF2C6BEB-2D32-4B8A-8950-1DD25353CF0F.thumb.jpeg.f0f7b12f14499cdedad5b440c426c0b3.jpeg

1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

I recently purchased a OSSC because I’m done buying old monitors to run my retro gear. I spent the morning setting it up.  I’m using a ubeswitch so I can display all three resolutions. The results are outstanding.

Nice images.

I don't have an ubswitch, though I may get one. I have one of BEST Electronics' Best V2 VGA cables with the built-in switch. It works OK, but medium resolution was never more than so-so and high was just OK, but not great either. I have a Cool Novelties RGB-SCART cable that I connect to my OSSC and low and medium resolutions are unbelievably clear and beautiful. I seriously doubt that I'll ever have a need or desire to use high resolution all that much, but I'd like to get an ubeswitch, just in case I ever want to. I think a decent ubeswitch and VGA cable will probably give a better high resolution image than the Best cable I'm using now.

Once I get my VBXE installed and running in my 1088XEL I have a Cool Novelties RGB-SCART cable for, so I'll be able to use my OSSC for my 8-bit as well.

Hi Folks,

Updates as promised. While I'm waiting for my centuriontech.eu via adapter to arrive, I thought I'd try a different approach with a popular adapter I've seen doing the rounds on youtube. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W9DJMNC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's "branded" Flylink and is just called HD video converter. Takes RGB or composite (or hdmi) as an input and hdmi/co-axial and separate audio outputs. The results are IMPRESSIVE!

*** update: there is a slight bit of lag on the connection ***

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WVSLSP3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously my monitor didn't have hdmi inputs so I bought these digital dvi converters.

IMG_0308.thumb.jpg.b348aefc94cf3caeff38de4354f38773.jpg

Some audio interference lines but I think that might just be my messy setup and a really long budget cdmi lead that I'm using.

IMG_0306.thumb.jpg.5da35cd19ad99c2e4a007b5e2a3b3d0d.jpg

The device itself with a Retro Computer Shack RGB Smart lead. I only use these guys for cables.

IMG_0305.thumb.jpg.d5f03b210ee27175b3de7ebf609ac26c.jpgIMG_0304.thumb.jpg.bf8a2f0a6afc83e776241959df45f98d.jpg

This picture really doesn't do the output justice. Those diagonal lines aren't visible to the eye.

Honestly guys. I will send updates when the centurion tech ube adapter turns up because obviously it's switchable to hi-res and I want to compare results. But this setup now, I'm very pleased with! I might buy a couple more to be honest! It's a great solution for connecting anything composite/RGB to a modern display!

Tell me your thoughts.

Edited by retrofez

On 1/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, mdivancic said:

0CAE68CE-5671-4FEE-917C-A5D26E50EA8F.thumb.jpeg.cbf64b9406b9b70e8eb16fb030be4019.jpeg

BF2C6BEB-2D32-4B8A-8950-1DD25353CF0F.thumb.jpeg.f0f7b12f14499cdedad5b440c426c0b3.jpeg

They are the ultimate. And I'm overdue to pick one up, but boy oh boy they're dear!

Yet another update!

My NEC MultiSync LCD1970NXp arrived not much more than an hour later. Thought it would be rude not to include the differences!

IMG_0313.jpg

1: Connected with CoolNovelties VGA cable directly

IMG_0314.jpg

2: As you can see those lines similar to on the Dell u2412m are still present but nowhere near as noticeable. In fact the camera is making them look worse than they look in real life.

IMG_0316.jpg

3: Retro Computer Shack RGB scart Cable connected to Flylink HD Converter and a hdmi to dvi-d adapter. This looks REALLY crispy!

IMG_0317.jpg

4: I'm 90% satisfied with this. This monitor is pretty much bang on. The picture looked at it's sharpest upscaled to 1280x1024 at 60hz. This is a native resolution for the monitor and it's receiving it as a digital signal so you can't adjust the position.

Got the RGB set to sRGB here. Very bright, very colourful. If not for that damn lag. It's only small but it's there!

Edited by retrofez
typos