IGNORED

Trying to fix Colecovision PAL rev. D

hyuma

ChildOfCv said:

I tested the clock with oscilloscope and it's says around 3.58-3.6mhz. I also bought the Z80 from local shop and it doesn't seems fake because i cleaned with IPA to test if label was painted... 

Edited by hyuma

21 hours ago, hyuma said:

I tested the clock with oscilloscope and it's says around 3.58-3.6mhz. I also bought the Z80 from local shop and it doesn't seems fake because i cleaned with IPA to test if label was painted... 

Unfortunately, I can't think of a reason for the Z80 to self-reset... other than unclean power or a pulse on the reset pin.  And the pattern is way too regular to be from either external cause.  Whether it's real or fake, I still have a feeling that the processor is not working as it should.

hey @ChildOfCv as I'm really, really stubborn, I made another sampling (the 11th!!!!) and now i made some changes on logic analyzer and now i'm not using the "auto restart sampling" function. In this sampling reset line is channel 8 (pin 26) and pin 15 of U5 is channel 9.

https://ufile.io/lijg6tcw

Check now the reset only happens at 0.5746397.

Tell me what you think now ;)

Edited by hyuma

I still see the same repetition of values that indicate the processor is resetting.  Only the values are different.  The sequence is now 53, 61, 119, 71, *reset*, 53, 61, *reset for 300ms*, rinse, repeat.

This is weird though because there is no good pattern to the difference in values.

You have all the chips socketed now, right?  The sockets (and even replacement chips) may be "new old stock" which means they've sat on a shelf for decades.  Any original chips you are still using could also have a layer of oxidation.  Did you use contact cleaner before plugging in the chips?

Anyway, it's possible that there is something interfering with the bus.  Try removing the SRAM, VDP, and controller input chips and repeating this experiment.  Let's see if it gets further than the first 4 bytes.

16 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

I still see the same repetition of values that indicate the processor is resetting.  Only the values are different.  The sequence is now 53, 61, 119, 71, *reset*, 53, 61, *reset for 300ms*, rinse, repeat.

This is weird though because there is no good pattern to the difference in values.

You have all the chips socketed now, right?  The sockets (and even replacement chips) may be "new old stock" which means they've sat on a shelf for decades.  Any original chips you are still using could also have a layer of oxidation.  Did you use contact cleaner before plugging in the chips?

Anyway, it's possible that there is something interfering with the bus.  Try removing the SRAM, VDP, and controller input chips and repeating this experiment.  Let's see if it gets further than the first 4 bytes.

Socket are clean, like I cleaned also pins of ICs with IPA and deoxit...

This is sampling wihtout VDP, reset is channel 8:

https://ufile.io/kbgmeph6

Edited by hyuma

This time the reads go 49, 57, 115, 67, reset, 49, 57.  It doesn't reset again, but it just starts reading 0's and 4's.  But then I realized that without the VDP, the CPU's NMI line (U1 pin 17) needs to be jumpered to +5V to keep it from floating.  Could you do that and try again?

This time the reads go 49, 57, 115, 67, reset, 49, 57.  It doesn't reset again, but it just starts reading 0's and 4's.  But then I realized that without the VDP, the CPU's NMI line (U1 pin 17) needs to be jumpered to +5V to keep it from floating.  Could you do that and try again?
What I have to do? Sorry I didn't understood

Inviato dal mio CLT-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

HOUSTON, WE GOT SOMETHING!!

http://imgur.com/a/ldTDWMd

http://imgur.com/a/J2DzH3G

I found a little broken trace between Sram and BIOS and this is the situation now! OMG THERE IS LIFE!! I tested all DRAM and they're ok, I'm using this composite mod I made...[mention=66741]ChildOfCv[/mention] aebc75e7ad279fac401bb6ce7ad3571e.jpg

Cool!

When you were taking the readings that got the correct values, were you reading it from the BIOS chip then?  And the subsequent ones were at the CPU?  Anyway, now the results make sense:

>>> bin(49),bin(0x31)
('0b110001', '0b110001')
>>> bin(57),bin(0xb9)
('0b111001', '0b10111001')
>>> bin(115),bin(0x73)
('0b1110011', '0b1110011')
>>> bin(67),bin(0xc3)
('0b1000011', '0b11000011')

D7 is always 0.

Looks like you still have to replace a video RAM chip or two though (or fix traces), looking at the videos.

And just wondering, why did R140 need to be modified?

Edited by ChildOfCv

Cool!

When you were taking the readings that got the correct values, were you reading it from the BIOS chip then?  And the subsequent ones were at the CPU?  Anyway, now the results make sense:

>>> bin(49),bin(0x31)('0b110001', '0b110001')>>> bin(57),bin(0xb9)('0b111001', '0b10111001')>>> bin(115),bin(0x73)('0b1110011', '0b1110011')>>> bin(67),bin(0xc3)('0b1000011', '0b11000011')

D7 is always 0.

Looks like you still have to replace a video RAM chip or two though (or fix traces), looking at the videos.

And just wondering, why did R140 need to be modified?

When I was reading with logic analyzer I always put the probe on the data lines of Z80, I never used the data lines of BIOS.. Today i got new VDP but the old one is ok, there is the same issue with new one. The DRAM are 8 4164 but I tested with arduino code and they are good.. I have to check traces but they seems cleaned and ok.. Also this is where I get info for the mod

https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:cbs_coleco

That sound good.  But it doesn't mention the data returns on pin 14, or the individual connections to pin 2.  Also, pin 8 must be +5V and pin 16 must connect to ground.  Pin 9 can be connected either to +5 or to ground, but must be connected to something.

As for pins 2 and 14, you need:

DRAM     2       14
U10      7       29
U11      3       25
U12      8       30
U13      4       26
U14      9       31
U15      5       27
U16     10       32
U17      6       28

Oh, and since you found a broken trace, make sure the Z80 to VDP has good continuity too.

Edited by ChildOfCv

As for pins 2 and 14, you need:
DRAM     2       14U10      7       29U11      3       25U12      8       30U13      4       26U14      9       31U15      5       27U16     10       32U17      6       28

Oh, and since you found a broken trace, make sure the Z80 to VDP has good continuity too.

What's the scheme means? And yes z80, bios, Sram and vdp have good continuity between them, I checked all combinations possible

6 hours ago, hyuma said:

When I was reading with logic analyzer I always put the probe on the data lines of Z80, I never used the data lines of BIOS

Then it's weird that you once got all the right values... but it was still resetting according to that pattern.

BTW, I finally noticed the pattern in your second recording for the wrong values, D2 was always 1.  Maybe that probe was misplaced, or maybe it means there are intermittent connections.

2 minutes ago, hyuma said:

What's the scheme means? And yes z80, bios, Sram and vdp have good continuity between them, I checked all combinations possible

Pins 2 and 14 of each DRAM.  Go down the list of 2's to check continuity with the VDP pin.  Same with the list of 14's  For example, pin 2 of U10 to VDP pin 7

Edited by ChildOfCv

Ok so, the 2s and 14s pin have all continuity with VDP with no problem, also VDP have good continuity with Z80 too and voltages on RAM +5v pin8 is present, pin 1 have 0v and pin9 around +5v too

3 hours ago, hyuma said:

Ok so, the 2s and 14s pin have all continuity with VDP with no problem, also VDP have good continuity with Z80 too and voltages on RAM +5v pin8 is present, pin 1 have 0v and pin9 around +5v too

What is the exact part number of the 4164s?

Anyway, if it turns out to be one or more of the DRAM chips, you can find this out by removing them one at a time to see how it affects the image.

Edited by ChildOfCv

What is the exact part number of the 4164s?

Anyway, if it turns out to be one or more of the DRAM chips, you can find this out by removing them one at a time to see how it affects the image.
TMS416415NL, but I'm 100% sure that ram are good because I have tested with arduino

So, 150ns memory should be in spec.

The Arduino program, as I recall, does not check dynamic retention times.  It only checks immediate readback.  So it's not an authority on whether the memory is good or not.  At best, it can tell you if the memory definitely is NOT good.  For a true test, it would need to write data, wait for the maximum refresh time of 4ms, then try to read it back.

Anyway, the random dots you see means that some memory data is not fixed.  If the VDP is good, the connections are good, and the memory is good, this obviously cannot happen, as it can only be one of those 3 things.  So like I say, try pulling one chip and temporarily hooking pin 14 to ground, to see if the randomness stops or at least improves.  If so, then that chip is suspect.

After 2 days of tinkering I start pointing finger to the area of the board near the Lm1889n because now I replaced ram sockets and the image appears and disappear like a scrambled TV... And also image is black/white. I just noticed that oscillator Y3 doesn't show me any freq on any of his pin, and I'm not sure if Lm1889n could be ok...