IGNORED

Question for my fellow Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 users

Pardon me as this isn't Jaguar-related, I've just seen multiple devs here mention using Jasc PSP7 and have no where else to ask. It's also a bitch to Google (just pulls up Corel PSP results).

Sometimes I will layer a raster image atop another with similar colors, requiring a shadow effect around the topmost layer. For years I used a plugin called Eye Candy 4000 for its Corona effect, it did a good enough job of that. Here's the effect of applying Corona in black to an image:

QXlo5L1.png

To see Corona in-use including its options, [CLICK].

Here's a couple examples of how I've used this effect in the past: [ONE], [TWO].

So, my question:

Unfortunately I lost my copy of the Eye Candy 4000 installer at some point so I can't use it on my current laptop. I can remote into my old one when it's absolutely needed, but it's a pain.

How else can I achieve this type of effect in PSP? Do it have any similar effects natively? Are there any PSP7 plug-ins you'd recommend (if any still exist)?

If not possible with PSP7, I also have GIMP installed and am open to using some other lightweight image editor to achieve this.

Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Edited by Buffalo Biff Burgertime
wording

Something I've done which I think is a similar effect is to use the drop Shadow. Create a selection around the area to be "raised" and then apply a drop shadow for different angles.  You have to provide it an X and y offset so I usually do it four times, up-left, up-tight, bottom-left, bottom-right. 

Play with the blur and opacity too.

• Like 2

The drop shadow method works as mentioned by @Sporadic .  Below is a manual and possibly more precise method in Gimp in case you need it. These steps below essentially break down the process that an automatic drop shadow plugin might perform to the basic tools/filters that most raster programs have these days.  These specific instructions are for Gimp, but are applicable for any program that has these basic tools.  Layers (with per-layer opacity adjustment), alpha selection/color selection/lasso tool, fill tool, and gaussian blur.

1. Make sure that the subject you want to add the dark halo to is on a layer that is has transparency.
  2. Create a white layer beneath it so we can see the halo effect.
  3. Create a new layer between our subject layer and the white background layer that is empty/transparent.
  4. Right-click on the layer with you subject and select "alpha to selection".  If your program doesn't have a quick alpha selection option, you can use a select by color, or manually select the outline of your subject with a selection lasso tool.
  5. Make sure our empty transparent layer is selected, then use the bucket fill tool to fill the selection with black, or whatever color you wish.
  6. Then deselect everything. top menu>select>none.
  7. Apply a gaussian blur.  top menu>filters>blur>gaussian blur.  
  8. Adjust the blur value accordingly, matching X and Y values (amount of blur will be different depending on your image resolution). And then click OK.  This probably won't be dark enough for what you need, keep reading.
  9. Duplicate the now blurred black layer two or three times using the duplicate button in your layers panel.  I usually duplicate until the halo is a bit darker than I want so I can tune it more precisely later.
  10. Then merge back down to one blurred black layer, by selecting the top blurred black layer (under your subject layer), and then selecting top menu>layer>merge down. Repeat this step until you are left with just one blurred black layer between your top subject layer, and your bottom background layer.
  11. Now adjust the intensity by using the blurred black layer's opacity slider in the layer panel.
  • Like 4