IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit/5200 Homebrew Games Completed/WIP in 2021

Added to Completed:

• Phoenix 2021 (8-bit & 5200) by Eric Anschuetz @eea, Robert Anschuetz @rra, John Weisgerber @jjw | Final Binary (20211225) | NOTE: Assembly rewrite of a previously completed BASIC game from 1981  | Listing Updated Dec 27, 2021

Moved to Completed:

Updated WIP:

19 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Added to Completed:

• Orson 2 by CC/Anreas Koch | Video Only (20211226) | NOTE: New levels for Orson, made with the Orson editor, released in ABBUC Magazine 147 | Listing Updated Dec 28, 2021

quoting myself from youtube:

"Haha, this "Orson 2" was only a diskfiller for Abbuc magazine 147. I created the new levels many years ago with the Orson Editor and did send them to Homesoft. He was so nice to put the Orson main game + original levels + my new levels into one single (stand-alone) file. If you download the Homesoft file of Orson, it already contains my levels."

A few weeks ago I asked him if I could have a fileversion that contains only my new / self-created levels and he did send me a copy - I used that file for Abbuc magazine as diskfiller...

Orson2.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoadError said:

Does this qualify?

You bet! Added to the list. :-)

4 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

A few weeks ago I asked him if I could have a fileversion that contains only my new / self-created levels and he did send me a copy - I used that file for Abbuc magazine as diskfiller...

Excellent, thanks for the binary update! I'll add it to the listing. ?

- James

Added to Completed:

Updated Completed:

Slight correction:

Last Squadron by Janusz Chabowski @ shanti77 (code / gfx) / Michal Szpilowski @miker (music / sfx) (ABBUC 2020 Entry) | Physical Release: Jun 23, 2021 | NOTE: Completed in 2020 | Listing Updated Dec 8, 2021

The game released in 2021 is "The Last Squadron", it is not just a physical edition of the game from 2020 and it is also not ABBUC 2020 Entry. It is heavily expanded with changes in gameplay mechanics: 

- additional 4 levels with new art (8 levels in total)
- title art, between levels, game over and game completion (artwork by Carrion and Koyot1222)
- 2 new gameplay modes, Arcade mode = more enemies, HARDCORE mode without a shield
- many new enemies
- 8 bosses with different attacks
- 4 samples
- the basic shot has 3 levels of power, we collect buffs during the game
- added shadow of our plane
- highscore for each game mode
- pause mode during the game with additional music
- extra points for shooting down a squad of enemies

(the game is also available in a digital version from @Sikor,20PLN/5EU/US $6,50)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Moved to Physical Release:

Updated Physical Release:

Added to Completed:

9 hours ago, shanti77 said:

Slight correction:

The game released in 2021 is "The Last Squadron", it is not just a physical edition of the game from 2020 and it is also not ABBUC 2020 Entry. It is heavily expanded with changes in gameplay mechanics:

Thanks for the information, I've altered the listing to reflect the Extended Cart release version.

- James

9 hours ago, Thelen said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew

Thanks for keeping track of all the game/wip releases for 2021! It's really fantastic to oversee the whole list!

You're so welcome @Thelen! It really helps me keep up to date on what's been coming out in the year and to prepare the master list for the 4th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards coming up in Feb 2022!

- James

LAST CALL for 2021!

I believe that all the games that were physically released, completed or had an updated WIP in 2021 have been accounted for! The cut off for being on this list was 11:59:59PM PT Dec 31, 2021. Please let me know if there are missing or inaccurate listings or if there is additional credit needed for a game that isn't there. Thank you all for your help in making this list as accurate and up to date as possible and catching errors when they appeared! ?

All the games from 2021 will now be processed for eligibility for the 4th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards and any new games this year will be added to the 2022 list! Happy New Year!

- James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

Not a game per-se but a homebrew none the less is my Atari Pokédex. Also it was released as part of the New Year Disc 2022 although as I finished coding it in 2021 I think it should still count.

Congratulations and thanks for the info @Wrathchild, Happy New Year!

I checked through the New Year Disc 2022 and didn't notice any games included. This list I maintain is limited to only games and doesn't include things like graphics, demos, text information, databases, hardware, hacks, utilities, music, etc.  I would say the Atari Pokedex would fall under a utility rather than a game itself, sorry about that.

I know there are some other listings that include more than games such as https://a8.fandal.cz/

- James

Moved to WIP:

NOTE: @8bit-Dude let me know that although the game is anticipated for a Q1 2022 physical release the game was not 100% completed at the end of 2021 and I've moved it to WIP accordingly. I will add it to the 2022 8-Bit/5200 list once its status has changed.

@ZeroPage Homebrew

James, "Adventure II XE" seems to be forgotten by you and others in 2021 ;) Physical release took place in 2021 and there was no earlier possibility to get this game, so in my opinion it should be counted as a 2021 game.
Also in 2020 you wrote: "Adventure II XE by @Cafeman (Note: previously released for 5200) (Pre-Order Physical Release)" - "previously released for 5200" may suggest that it was a straightforward conversion - but it's not exactly the case here, there were many changes, some of them listed here. That's why it took several years to create Atari 8-bit version.

Joel Goodwin is the creator of the original Orson game, and should be mentioned in "Orson 2" credits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, +Adam+ said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew

James, "Adventure II XE" seems to be forgotten by you and others in 2021 ;) Physical release took place in 2021 and there was no earlier possibility to get this game, so in my opinion it should be counted as a 2021 game.
Also in 2020 you wrote: "Adventure II XE by @Cafeman (Note: previously released for 5200) (Pre-Order Physical Release)" - "previously released for 5200" may suggest that it was a straightforward conversion - but it's not exactly the case here, there were many changes, some of them listed here. That's why it took several years to create Atari 8-bit version.

Joel Goodwin is the creator of the original Orson game, and should be mentioned in "Orson 2" credits.

Thank you for the additional information @+Adam+, I've expanded the entry for Adventure II XE  and added the information about Joel Goodwin!

- James

Updated Physical Release:

Updated Completed:

• Orson 2 by CC/Anreas Koch / Joel Goodwin (Orson Programmer) | Final Binary (20211229) | NOTE: New levels for Orson, made with the Orson editor, released in ABBUC Magazine 147 | Listing Updated Jan 14, 2022

On 1/14/2022 at 11:54 AM, Yautja said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew

This title was released in ABBUC Magazine 147 too:

I was a little confused about that release as I couldn't find any additional information on Expedition other than the video. The copyright date said 1985 so I assumed the game is either from 1985 or was a small update to an already released 1985 game. Do you have a link with more information or know more about it?

- James

27 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I was a little confused about that release as I couldn't find any additional information on Expedition other than the video. The copyright date said 1985 so I assumed the game is either from 1985 or was a small update to an already released 1985 game. Do you have a link with more information or know more about it?

- James

Here is what the ABBUC magazine says:

The original BASIC+ML version had a length of over 20 KBytes and could only be loaded under Atari DOS 3! (Unbelievable but true.) Homesoft created a standalone DOS 2 ML-file of it. Packed with Exomizer the filelength is now approx. 4.5 KBytes.

The update allows many more people to run it but whether you consider it new homebrew software is up to you.

Bob C

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darwinmac said:

Here is what the ABBUC magazine says:

The original BASIC+ML version had a length of over 20 KBytes and could only be loaded under Atari DOS 3! (Unbelievable but true.) Homesoft created a standalone DOS 2 ML-file of it. Packed with Exomizer the filelength is now approx. 4.5 KBytes.

The update allows many more people to run it but whether you consider it new homebrew software is up to you.

Bob C

Thanks for the additional information Bob. It doesn't sound like the actual gameplay, graphics, sound, etc was updated, just the ease of ability to load the game. I'll probably skip this entry as the game itself hasn't changed.

- James

• Like 1

there is expedition,  is there a mix up of some kind between the different expeditions?

1985 abbuc expedition looks almost like

Expedition Computronic 1986

but not

Expeditions MECC 1982

Expeditions Atari (USA) 1983

Rescue Expedition (The) Agenda

some others

Edited by _The Doctor__

Maybe I should not do these kind of things, as they only confuse people at AtariAge ?  ;-)

The game itself is NOT new, it is a type-in listing from the german Computronic magazine, released in 1986. If I remember correctly this game was originally a hybrid of BAS+ML and did only run under DOS 3, so I did send it to Homesoft many years ago, who did a single/stand-alone ML-file of it that also runs under DOS 2.x. Think the unpacked file had a length of approx. 200 sectors, so I packed it with Superpacker (Exomizer) and now it only has a length of 36 sectors. And yes, I also wrote the short note in german and english, that you quoted above...  (You know, I am creating the disk magazine and filling it with programs, both Orson 2 and Expedition were only small disk fillers.) This game has nothing to do with the other Expedition games that were also mentioned above.

original Expedition listing

The game on that DOS 3 ATR image uses the filenames Loader.BAS (3 blocks) and Program.OBJ (22 blocks).

And here is the Homesoft version on disk 335.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thanks for the additional information Bob. It doesn't sound like the actual gameplay, graphics, sound, etc was updated, just the ease of ability to load the game. I'll probably skip this entry as the game itself hasn't changed.

- James

Correct and therefore a good decision.

• Like 1