IGNORED

Stone age (caveman) games: where did they come from, where did they go, and what are your favorites?

jgkspsx

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

How about the "Tak" franchise that had both GBA games and console titles too.

I forgot all about that! That is a licensed game based on a Nickelodeon CGI cartoon, so I suspect it's not all that great, but I'll have to give it a try!

EDIT: It sounds like the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox games were actually quite good, at least according to a few reviewers. Neat!

From my understanding it's one of the few things they make you could call reliable and worth the bother.  I mean I guess reliable fits, they probably should still work in another 10 or 20 years. :)  The thing is, you get a new board, new chips, new everything, just the old game code but presented in a little new way with it being a legit multicart.  Given what not the first, but Joe & Mac 2 costs, it's a solid price.  Same can be said for their other packages as I think they did the R-Type 3 one and that games price is awful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2021 at 1:54 PM, Mr SQL said:

Dino Wars on the TRS-80 Color Computer was caveman era with early captivating 3D. Altered Beast featured a caveman character evolving into a Beast.   

Not to be that guy...but dinosaurs and cave people were about 65 million years apart. ?

My favorite Caveman theme is probably the Tandy tabletop:

CAVEMAN-Vintage-1983-Electronic-Tabletop

If Toki qualifies, that's one I liked on the NES, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a funny idea for a Tony Hawk mod. Since Big Nose the Caveman had a skateboard in Big Nose Freaks Out, someone should make a 3D model of Big Nose for one of the PC Tony Hawk games, then add the Millencolin song "Caveman's Land" from their 2019 album to the soundtrack and then post a video playing as Big Nose with that song playing. Especially since Millencolin already had a song that was used in THPS2.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well,

I have a homebrew for Atari called Prehistoric Times,...But TBH,  I remember very little about it and I should have been in bed hours ago ;)...

I mainly wanted to give full props for being comprehensive,  and for mentioning Tail of the Sun!  I played it for a bit back in the PS1 days,  really enjoyed it!...I remember clearly being in E.B.,  someone asked about Tail of the Sun and I chimed in with "Awesome Game!",  and the 2 kids behind the counter looked at me like I was from Mars.  I guess they didn't want to be rude..."Maybe we just don't get it!" they replied almost in unison.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Prehistoric Isle (arcade)

The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino and Hoppy (NES)

I like Prehistoric Isle a lot more than I probably should because of the theme. One of the Neo Geo shooters I’ve played the most!

That Flintstones game looks amazing graphically and not bad gameplay wise. I’ve never heard of it. Very cool.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, jgkspsx said:

I mean, several of the games in the thread are from the early 80s! But Joe & Mac is pretty great.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:10 PM, jgkspsx said:

I stumbled across this awesome, officially licensed collection:

image.thumb.png.810766135e325f32c9a317184c66f99a.png

It's selling for less than $25 shipped brand new, so I figured I had to pick up a copy. I know RetroBit's emulation systems have not been very popular but hopefully their multicarts are okay.

Joe & Mac is my favorite caveman game. Used to play it all the time on the SNES, but this is the first I'm hearing of this multicart - pretty cool! Still play Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja on the Amiga once in a while.  ?

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 3:19 AM, electricmastro said:

Definitely Trog! A quirky take on the maze game genre:

You beat me to it!  Trog on NES is definitely a solid port, but I'd strongly recommend firing up MAME for the arcade version.  You can play 4 players at once, which is a real hoot and those claymation graphics and animation look awesome.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

There is apparently another Flintstones game for the NES. "The Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak".

It is so rare that it costs about $1000 for an original cartridge.

I had that for Famicom!

Well,  in a bright blue shell,  I'm pretty sure it was a bootleg cart (heh)...

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2021 at 10:48 PM, BassGuitari said:

Not to be that guy...but dinosaurs and cave people were about 65 million years apart.

Seems there used to be more caveman themed media in general; as more people accepted that the genre kinda died out.

Edited by pacman000
  • Like 1