IGNORED

Alternative controller?

rcajun90

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the Colecovision.  I almost got one in the 80’s but my sister ruined it.  Anyways I love the system.  Is there a good alternative controller?  It doesn’t really feel comfortable in my hands?  Also any good home brews and where to get them?  I’m surprised Atari Age has a very limited selection.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, rcajun90 said:

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the Colecovision.  I almost got one in the 80’s but my sister ruined it.  Anyways I love the system.  Is there a good alternative controller?  It doesn’t really feel comfortable in my hands?  Also any good home brews and where to get them?  I’m surprised Atari Age has a very limited selection.

Thank you!

For alternative controllers, I really like the ones made by Retroboyz on Ebay. If you like more arcade style controllers Eladdin and @doubledown make some nice controllers.

For homebrew check out Opcode, CollectorVision and you can search the forum of Team Pixelboy's Dec 25th posts for many free homebrews.

If you are looking for something a bit more joystick-like, you could try a 'Super Action Controller'?

I have a few of them and though I actually use them more on my 2600 then with the Colecovision, they are an official Colecovision accessory.

There is also a Wico Colecovision joystick, but I believe they are rare to find and quite a bit more expensive.

If I were just getting into colecovision, i'd first pick up an Atarimax Ultimate SD:

https://www.atarimax.com/colecosd/documentation/

The head over to cvaddict for publicly available stuff:

https://cvaddict.com/list.php

And then get in on Collectorvision's super game club, which will give you a CIB game (this year, it's TWO games) and access to their rom vault:

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-experience-club-membership-2021/

(I believe you have until this sunday, 1/17 to get in on the 2021 club)

I think everyone has steered you in the right direction for controllers.  

• Like 1

Your biggest considerations, with regards to an alternate controller, would be your budget, and do you want it to be a full featured ColecoVision controller, or just the basics...meaning it's missing most of the keypad functionality.  Original 1st and 3rd party controllers that were full-featured from BITD, include:

Coleco Hand Controller

Coleco Super Action Controller

Gemini Keypad Gemstick - generally considered terrible

WICO Command Control - generally considered terrible

Spectravideo SV-103 QuickShot III - my preferred controller, of the original 3rd party options

Suncom Joy Sensor - generally considered terrible

Amiga The Power Stick - generally considered terrible

Championship Electronics Mini-Champ w/ Champ Adapter (keypad) - not great

Any Atari 2600 controller will work for joystick duty, and 1 button on the ColecoVision, but obviously won't work for games that require the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th buttons...and you would still need a keypad in some way.  

A few people sell NES or Genesis style controllers for use on the ColecoVision (found on ebay I presume), that will offer directional control, 2 buttons, and a few keypad buttons, but not all 12.  So these will work for some games, but not for others.  

A few of us over the years made/offered/sold Atari JagPad and Jaguar ProPad to ColecoVision conversion controllers, as well as FC and SFC NTT Data Control Pad to ColecoVision conversion controllers, but I don't know if anybody is offering these at the moment.  These were all full-featured controllers, as the donor controllers had a full 12 button keypad.  

Then of course there are a few of us who make full-featured arcade controllers for the ColecoVision, but if you're looking for a full-featured, hand-held type of controller (modern control pad-esque), there currently isn't anything available that I can think of.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://edladdin.com/Super-CV-ec-1-005.htm

I have a Super CV joystick controller that is also available at the AtariAge store. It has an arcade quality Sanwa joystick with Suzo-Happ buttons. It has great aesthetics and works great. Beware of the Wico Command Control. I bought one new in the early 1980s. I still have it but due to it's terribly hard uncomfortable side buttons, I never use it now.

Super-CV-00007b-750.jpg