IGNORED

Atari Maximite

Eric Rousseau

I have bought a Color Maximite 2 Deluxe (the Color Maximite 2 is most popular right now since the DELUXE is brand new from January 2021).

I intend to make software on this new little baby that  will be like the Atari 800XL.

For example, by programming a 6502 basic emulator I might be able to run Synassembler or other softwares.

This Maximite machine is very interesting to control hardware in basic with it's I/O connector on the back.

It runs interpreted basic at 270,000 lines per second.

Just like I was used to control hardware using the joystick port and the PIA 6520 of the 800XL, this Maximite will do the same (and more)

using it's integrated basic language running as fast as 6502 machine language on the original XL.

So, I was hoping to open a new topic specifically for this purpose of mixing Atari VS Maximite.

Check google and youtube for Color Maximite 2 infos. The DELUXE has a 2nd usb port for a mouse.

But I guess the the Maximite Color 2 with only one USB port for the keyboard could support an Amiga or Atari ST mouse by typing a simple mouse support.

These mouse use the atari standard joystick port, as seen on 8 bits GUI.

Let me know what you think...

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3

I look forward to see what you make on the CMM2. I have been playing with the original Color Maximite and have started on something similar to Jumpman Jr. and Star Raiders. I have another Model 1 and and Model 2 that will be here in a few days. I do really look forward to playing about with the new model. matherp is doing an insane amount of work on the BASIC interpreter for it. The stuff he and the other guys have done with the dodecahedron and general polygon acceleration is amazing.

Have you played around with the Color Maximite 1 or the BASIC Engine? The BASIC Engine is similar to the CMM1, but a bit more graphically superior. I will be doing some screen recordings via Picture in Picture of a side by side comparison between the CMM and BASIC Engine.

Glad to see a first Maximite user !

This is my first Maximite Computer and I've never work with any previous versions...

I received it yesterday with a mini keyboard and mini mouse from Amazon.

I feel like a was 8 years old at x-mas night !

I have just printed the Maximite Basic 5.06 Manual (134 pages) and intend to dig it quite fast.

I will add a standard RS232 DB9 port with a Centronics printer port to use an old Star NX-1000 Printer in graphics mode to print Atascii listings.

I have many ideas to use the MMC like I used the 800XL.

One of my first programs will be a full screen Atascii text editor using original Atari font (with reverse video).

I should get something like 100 columns by 60 rows at least... didn't calculate it yet.

I have a 68000 dev kit I made with a friend for the 800XL with a 68000 Assembler in 6502 machine language.

It is based on Synapse Assembler, once the code assembled, you transfer it via joystick port to the 68000 card to be executed by

a real 68000 processor. This was developped to learn 68000 before we stepped higher to an Atari ST Machine.

I intend to transfert this 68000 assembler to MMC with a revised dev card using a 68000 or cheaper 68008.

I have some projects regarding Atari VS MMC and 68000, I will create a topic soon as I upgrade some software on the 800XL.

Anyway, more to come... stay tuned !

Snap on 1-14-2021 at 0-55-55.png

Snap on 1-14-2021 at 0-56-27.png

Snap on 1-14-2021 at 0-56-40.png

Snap on 1-14-2021 at 0-57-15.png

Snap on 1-14-2021 at 0-57-25.png

Snap on 1-14-2021 at 0-57-52.png

Snap on 1-14-2021 at 0-58-24.png

ASM68K one sheet.png

1.png

2.png

• 2 years later...

Bad News !

After burning out my Maximite computer over a year ago, I find myself in need for another one, but unfortunately they're not available anymore since the lack of availability of the main chip.

I'm not sure exactly how I did this, but I think a used a 1v input port and put 12v into it by error... or something that has to do with an input port overload or too high voltage.

Yes I know I was planning to use buffers, opto-isolators and 1.3v to 5v converters and vice-versa but in my preliminary tests I guess I made a fatal mistake somehow.

Let's say I had many projects, software and hardware I hoped to do with this nice little computer.

I wanted to buy the Color Maximite 2 Gen 2 from https://geoffg.net/maximite.html but this site and store are now closed.

I was looking forward to use it's extended ram, corrected I/O port pinout, extended resolution and 24 bits colors modes, etc...

I wanted to join best of both worlds in combining  Maximite and my old Atari 800XL computer...

If anyone has a Color Maximite 2 Gen 2 for sale, please let me know.

Thanks !

Sorry about your CMM2. I suggest you ask for one on https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewForum.php?FID=16

I was able to get a used generation 1 CMM2 last year for almost nothing - it works great.

As a backup, the PicoMiteVGA is a good retro computer that’s programmed with the same Basic, but more limited hardware. It will only cost about $25 to build your own.

• 7 months later...

The CMM2 is being sold again in low volumes for $165.50 at https://www.rictech.nz/micromite-products

The PicoMite VGA was released about 3 years ago and the firmware has been continuously update, so many functions of the CMM2 are available on the much lower cost ($35). For more info, check out https://geoffg.net/picomitevga.html

The board designs are open source, so you can either order your own PCB and parts and build it yourself, or order a bare PCB from Tindie for $12 https://www.tindie.com/products/land_boards/raspberry-pi-pico-card-with-vga-sound-kbd-v3/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...