IGNORED

Rogue - Mastertronic

Simon Carter

I had this game as a kid, enjoyed it quite a lot, but never really managed to work out how to play it properly. The instructions weren't great, and nothing seems to do anything keyboard-wise. Upon watching a video on YouTube, I noticed one player managed to get menus to pop up when trying to use items.

Anyone got any ideas how to achieve the same results?

Regards

Si

Roguepic.jpg

30 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Here you can find the manual:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-rogue_4431.html

Have fun

True, but still no joy. Trust me, I pored over those instructions a lot when I was younger trying to get the thing to work. I did wonder whether it had been released buggy, a la Universal Hero, until I watched that video this morning.

Si

Simon, Use the joystick to place the cursor where you want to go then press fire button and you will go there, depending on the version you can place cursor on what you want to do and press fire, try placing cursor on first letter of a thing or graphic of a thing. menus pop up, if you can't select with cursor then type the first letter of whatever it is. You need your player in position to certain things else they won't appear or work. All the usual stuff, s for save etc etc.

34 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Simon, Use the joystick to place the cursor where you want to go then press fire button and you will go there, depending on the version you can place cursor on what you want to do and press fire, try placing cursor on first letter of a thing or graphic of a thing. menus pop up, if you can't select with cursor then type the first letter of whatever it is. You need your player in position to certain things else they won't appear or work. All the usual stuff, s for save etc etc.

Movement isn't the issue, or the menu items, it's activating anything in the inventory pack. Thanks for your time and help though.

I've just tried it in Altirra and it's like The Doctor says: you place the cursor over an item, press Fire, and the menu appears.

Then, bizarrely, you need to press the highlighted letter on keyboard, instead of choosing it with joystick/cursor.  This flaw is symptomatic of this port of Rogue to 8-bit micros. This game is really not suited for cursor-based control (especially when using joysticks to move it), it really should be played with keyboard.

Perhaps your version is somehow bugged? Try the one from Atarimania, it works.

• 6 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, Simon Carter said:

I'll have to concede defeat on this one, I'm using Altirra and the file from AtariMania, maybe its just me, the same thing happened with my physical copy. At least there's plenty of other stuff out there.

I did some experiments and on my setup with atari800, the popups would come up if I was in PAL + Compyshop mode, but not if I was in NTSC + Rambo mode.

Edited by invisible kid