IGNORED

Metroidvania for Atari Jaguar - anyone?

phoboz

While Kings of Edom is being beta tested, I started to experiment with ideas for the next Atari Jaguar game.

Another genre that seems to be under-represented on the system is "Metroidvania"

It's actually a platformer, with with adventure game elements, the name originates from 2 games, e.g. Metroid, and Castlevania.

Metroid was a game for the NES which added adventure game elements to a platform game, and later games in the Castelvania series also adopted this approach. 

So if anyone would be interested in a game like this, perhaps this tech demo can become a real game?

However, I realize already now that it will take a very long time to design the levels for a good game in this genre:

Note that this game will in no way be related to the 2 games mentioned above, these were just used as examples to describe the genre.

The same info is on Wikipedia

• Like 38

Wow! That looks like a great start!

Some of my favorite recent games are independent Metroidvanias like Iconoclasts, Timespinner, and the original indie smash hit Cave Story, which tend to be more story focused and be slightly less sprawling. The Game Gear game Tails Adventure was a remarkable Metroidvania with lots of collectible tools and some memorable bosses. The main thing wrong with it was how little you could see at one time.

• Like 1

I'm always up for any new software on the Jag.  But Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres, so this is a great concept in my book!  I can't say how many times I've played through Super Metroid, Zero Mission, Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, etc.  Something about the interconnecting map and the traversal-based upgrades make the world so much more immersive.  Thanks for taking up the mantle, phoboz, and I'm looking forward to updates!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 3:42 PM, agradeneu said:

This could be also a "Turrican" alike. Nice engine, you could do so many cool games with it.

That would also be great. I recently played Valfaris on the Xbox one and felt a bit "Turrican" while doing so, imagining how that would look like on the Jag. :-D So... I agree with the comment above. ?

• Like 1

On 14 de enero de 2021 at 5:26 AM, phoboz said:

While Kings of Edom is being beta tested, I started to experiment with ideas for the next Atari Jaguar game.

Another genre that seems to be under-represented on the system is "Metroidvania"

It's actually a platformer, with with adventure game elements, the name originates from 2 games, e.g. Metroid, and Castlevania.

Metroid was a game for the NES which added adventure game elements to a platform game, and later games in the Castelvania series also adopted this approach. 

So if anyone would be interested in a game like this, perhaps this tech demo can become a real game?

However, I realize already now that it will take a very long time to design the levels for a good game in this genre:

Note that this game will in no way be related to the 2 games mentioned above, these were just used as examples to describe the genre.

The same info is on Wikipedia

If I'm interested on a Metroidvania game for the Atari Jaguar? Hell yeah I am! :D

I don't have a Jaguar and doubt that will change anytime soon, but it will eventually. So I just want to say: please keep making games!

However, here's my take on the genre: I grew up with the original Castlevania so while I enjoyed Symphony of the Night, I was disappointed when they started designing ALL the sequels like that. Plus as I get older my time/patience for games isn't what it once was. I often find myself looking for linear, short(ish) games I can blast through in a few hours. My gaming sessions only last about an hour each time now, I'm not laying in bed with Dreamcast controller in-hand for hours every night. I want to be making progress, seeing action rather than exploring a lot.

I'd imagine it would take a lot of creativity to design a Metroidvania with all its backtracking, so I'd be very interested to follow the development process even if I don't have a way to play it. That's why I started following the Jag scene a couple years ago, to watch its fanbase making cool shit.

It's a popular genre, obviously! and it would add something new to the Jag library. I love the look of the demo, very authentic.

Edited by Buffalo Biff Burgertime
phrasing, grammar

It should be possible to re-use the engine for any type of run-n-gun, side scrolling action game.

I looked at some videos of Gunlord, and it seems to have one layer using a tile map (which I currently have in this demo, this is the layer the action takes place), and second layer using a large bitmap image, or a series large images (for decoration).

This is just how thought about doing it, because the Jaguar's ability to handle really large images (besides from many 16x16 pixel sized tiles, as used in the first layer) is really what differs the Jaguar from the other consumer 16-bit console systems from that time (e.g. SNES, Genesis, which use 16x16 tiles for both layers. The NeoGeo would of course also be able to do how I described, but that was really not aimed at the mass consumer market)

However, it can still be a Metroidvania, but in order to make it look something like Gunlord, I really need the help from very professional pixel artist(s). My current focus is to get a very good physics engine, the decoration comes later...

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 8