IGNORED

Metroidvania for Atari Jaguar - anyone?

phoboz

On 1/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, jgkspsx said:

Wow! That looks like a great start!

Some of my favorite recent games are independent Metroidvanias like Iconoclasts, Timespinner, and the original indie smash hit Cave Story, which tend to be more story focused and be slightly less sprawling.

I just started playing Timespinner a few months ago. It is now one of my favorite games in this genre.

The funny thing is that I was playing it yesterday, and a thought entered my mind about how cool it would have been to have a game like this on the Jaguar.

From a technical perspective, the Jaguar should be able to handle a game like Timespinner (maybe the music would require Jaguar CD). This would be a good game to study, to see how the various elements (artwork, level design, storytelling) come together.

It looks like @phoboz is already off to a good start. Good luck!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterG said:

It does indeed I also like it a lot, the only thing that I don't quite like is pulling the legs to the front when jumping, it is unique somehow but the Turrican fan in me wants to see them go slightly to the back. :-D 

Nice to follow in any case. :)

I changed a little bit. Originally there were 5 states, pre-jump (1), jump with the legs pulled backwards (2), mid air with the legs a little bit like in the crouching position (3), on the way down with the legs pulled forward (4), and finally the post fall frame (5), which is the same as the pre-jump frame.

Now the legs are only pulled forward (4) if the player pulls they control stick in the advancing direction. Otherwise (e.g. in a straight upward jump, or a straight fall), the game character won't pull the legs forward, thus staying in state (3) until reaching the ground, state (5).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JagChris said:

Does this help you when you take a break from one project and work on something else? I hear a lot of people say it does

Yes, it certainly does. It helps to see things from a new angle, with fresh eyes. Sometimes you also feel like you get stuck, then it's nice to have something else to focus on for a while.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Asteroite update for February 2021.

Some new enemies, and a vertical level, enjoy.

Note that the video capturing tool does not capture blinking sprites very well (e.g. when you are hit, or when the enemies disappear)

Either you see them all the time, or they just disappear.

I does not look like this on the real Jaguar.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 12

On 2/11/2021 at 11:41 PM, SlidellMan said:

Adding a run ability was a smart decision, but do you have to use a button or double tap the pad in a given direction?

You have to build up speed by moving in the desired direction long enough. If you change direction, hit an obstacle, or get hit by an enemy, you loose speed. This is a very important part of the gameplay. You will need to build up speed to perform a long jump, thus being able to reach new areas. If there are obstacles in they way, you would need to clear them before you successfully can build up speed.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2021 at 11:41 PM, SlidellMan said:

I also agree with Cyrano that a layered background/parallax in areas would help it immensely.

I added a background layer (parallax, because the map moves and the background is static)

Thank you @CyranoJ for the tip on how to make all of this play together.

I also changed the jump. It now displays the "crazy" leg pulling frame only when the player is jumping very far...

• Like 20

That layer of parallax really adds a lot to the graphics. Music is really good and gameplay seems to be coming along nicely. I didnt expect so much progress in so little time. Congratulations!

I am kinda slow, so i gotta ask. From the specs you mentioned for this engine... the only thing holding this to its "superficial" 8-bit looks is how dificult and expensive it is to get high quality pixel art? Anyways its shaping up pretty nice... looking forward to see this progressing.

6 hours ago, sd32 said:

the only thing holding this to its "superficial" 8-bit looks is how dificult and expensive it is to get high quality pixel art?

I think that it is only the generation who grew up during the bit-wars that are so sensitive about how many bits the graphics looks like being.

Today (even for the Jaguar), the number of colors is not really a limitation, and still we see graphics on games for the Nintendo Switch that even look 4-bit.

No one seems to complain about that (e.g. they are still being sold for the console), maybe some people even like this simplicity.

So graphics (on platforms without severe technical limitations) becomes what is drawn to be, graphics does not automatically look a certain way just because it is displayed on a platform with a certain word length, e.g. 16, 32, or 64-bit.

For example, 2D Metroid never had 64-bit looking graphics, even if there were games with computer pre-rendered graphics on the same platform (e.g. on the SNES, Super Metroid vs. Donkey Kong Country) Would you have liked a dark space action adventure with colorful pre-rendered computer graphics, I know I wouldn't?

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

@sd32 interesting that those graphs look 8bits for you while I find them much closer to what a snes could deliver.

Anyway it's not really what matters as long as it looks good (there's definitely good and bad pixel art, as there is good and bad computer pre-rendered art... hmm ok maybe it's always bad for the last one :D).

Games is looking better and better with every update! Bra jobbat @phoboz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sd32 said:

That layer of parallax really adds a lot to the graphics. Music is really good and gameplay seems to be coming along nicely. I didnt expect so much progress in so little time. Congratulations!

I am kinda slow, so i gotta ask. From the specs you mentioned for this engine... the only thing holding this to its "superficial" 8-bit looks is how dificult and expensive it is to get high quality pixel art? Anyways its shaping up pretty nice... looking forward to see this progressing.

I think the tiles are high quality, they are supposed to look like "16 bit" Genesis style.