IGNORED

Metroidvania for Atari Jaguar - anyone?

phoboz

I would not call Hyper Force amazing, but it's decent in the same category as Zool 2.

Bubsy looks quite nice, but unfortunately totally unplayable (I am very sorry for this, as it looks better than the SNES version of Bubsy, but the SNES game is much more playable)

I feel a little bit sorry that many Jaguar games were more like technology demos intended to display to true 64-bit power of the system, rather than being great games.

So an exclusive, playable platformer is definitely a goal. Graphics will be what we, as home-brewers are able to come up with. The limitation is mainly the people who are willing to contribute, and not the system's capabilities. What I truly long for are playable platform games, and not more (very nice looking) Bubsy games...

• Like 7

On 2/21/2021 at 3:33 AM, jgkspsx said:

Have you played Hyperforce? It’s run and gun more than platformer but it’s quite good.

I consider it being more platformer than run and gun. From what I seen of the game it features a lot of backtracking and searching for hidden areas, the action is somewhat dull.

Contra is pure run and gun, linear levels  and lots of shmup action.

Hyperforce looks far from amazing or exciting, actually I think it looks quite boring.

Yeah Hyperforce is far from a great game. I tried to like it, couldn't. You want it to be good, it just isn't. Interestingly enough that makes it even more dull than a total trainwreck like Trevor MCfur or something where at least you can marvel at the fact that they bothered to release such a desaster. :-D 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, PeterG said:

Yeah Hyperforce is far from a great game. I tried to like it, couldn't. You want it to be good, it just isn't. Interestingly enough that makes it even more dull than a total trainwreck like Trevor MCfur or something where at least you can marvel at the fact that they bothered to release such a desaster. :-D 

I liked Trevor McFur, it wasn't such a disaster.  It was at least pretty. 

18 hours ago, leech said:

I played way more complex shmups on 8 bit machines. The gfx look pretty in screenshots but in motion it's really dull: the backdrop is 100% static wallpaper, very limited animation and parallax, no music and cheesy sound. Considering the specs of the Jag it's a joke.

Then look what 2 guys coul do on the Genesis: 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, leech said:

Let´s be honest ... it was a disaster. Enemy design, attack patterns, sound, and even a big part of the graphic ... simply terrible.

A few extra weapons are ok, one or two bosses are cool (skeleton e.g.) ... but not enough for a next gen console.

Just have a look what great shooters the 8-bit PC Engine had, or the 16-bit Genesis ...

• Like 2

Yeah, Trevor McFur did look amazing back in its time, in screenshots...but in every other way it was complete trash.  It doesn't take advantage of the Jaguar's 2D power at all.  There are NES shmups with better effects and faster gameplay, even with a comparable number of sprites, like Recca.  And there was zero thought put into the enemy placement.  They just toss gobs of enemies at you...that's it.  No fun bullet patterns to weave through, no interesting animations or enemy wave patterns.  There's no music.  The powerups are boring.  It's not even that it doesn't have anything to make it stand out...it's that it isn't even mediocre.  It's just like they took too long to learn the hardware and didn't have enough time to make the game fun.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, evisu said:

Let´s be honest ... it was a disaster. Enemy design, attack patterns, sound, and even a big part of the graphic ... simply terrible.

A few extra weapons are ok, one or two bosses are cool (skeleton e.g.) ... but not enough for a next gen console.

Just have a look what great shooters the 8-bit PC Engine had, or the 16-bit Genesis ...

Please lose the habit of saying ' let's be honest '. Honesty speaks for itself. Not saying I disagree with you but that opening phrase is usually followed by less than honesty and was favorite opening being used by the likes of stormworks interactive.

Edited by JagChris

On 2/27/2021 at 10:31 AM, JagChris said:

Please lose the habit of saying ' let's be honest '. Honesty speaks for itself. Not saying I disagree with you but that opening phrase is usually followed by less than honesty and was favorite opening being used by the likes of stormworks interactive.

I´m not native English speaker ... my excuse for everything :D

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated.

Looking pretty good, of that Metroidvania ilk but different looking enough to stand on it's own. :) I'd pretty much given up on owning a Jag, was going to buy a controller from AA and go the emulation route(warts and all heh) but I won an auction recently. ? Anyway that's some cool homebrew. ;)

I see some chatter about 2D graphics performance levels. Yeah it's true the Jag could use more screen melting 2D like other platforms had, always figured it had the potential to do some of what the SS was capable of in 2D. ?

Music sounds good, pretty early but any thoughts about a CD soundtrack? The Sega/Mega CD homebrew scene has done interesting cart/CD releases. That GameDrive should help stimulate things a bit, no CD games but still cool.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:08 AM, BladeJunker said:

Looking pretty good, of that Metroidvania ilk but different looking enough to stand on it's own. :) I'd pretty much given up on owning a Jag, was going to buy a controller from AA and go the emulation route(warts and all heh) but I won an auction recently. ? Anyway that's some cool homebrew. ;)

I see some chatter about 2D graphics performance levels. Yeah it's true the Jag could use more screen melting 2D like other platforms had, always figured it had the potential to do some of what the SS was capable of in 2D. ?

Music sounds good, pretty early but any thoughts about a CD soundtrack? The Sega/Mega CD homebrew scene has done interesting cart/CD releases. That GameDrive should help stimulate things a bit, no CD games but still cool.

I am quite happy with the way music sounds now, I will post a new update soon a very cool tune for the ice levels.

A person called Sergio Enrique Nuñez Stolles is helping me with music, sound fx and graphics, also @SlidellMan has supported with some graphics.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 11:22 PM, phoboz said:

I am quite happy with the way music sounds now, I will post a new update soon a very cool tune for the ice levels.

A person called Sergio Enrique Nuñez Stolles is helping me with music, sound fx and graphics, also @SlidellMan has supported with some graphics.

I like the sound too, just asking to see if anyone was using a CD music option. Oh don't know him but things seem to be going well with the content contributions, SlidellMan seems enthusiastic from what I've seen. :)

Got my Jaguar in today and it works, was listed as untested. ? Just FYI on cleaning one, Goo Gone will strip ink off the bottom sticker and the logo ink will come off with IPA. ?  Despite that it looks great now from the top and would love try your cool game in the near future. ;) 

On 2/26/2021 at 5:32 AM, agradeneu said:

Then look what 2 guys coul do on the Genesis:

The graphic artist for the game is a prodigy. It's the same guy who did the graphics for Neo XYX (and some of the graphics for Gunlord) on the neogeo, and there are several more 2d games for PC that he's worked on over the years as a hobby, primarily shooting style games like this. I was previously on a forum that he would periodically post on, the guy is (was?) extremely prolific, and as you can see, has that early 90s Japanese sprite style down.

I'd encourage anyone interested in this graphical style to try out Super XYX (its like $5 on Steam). It's the same artist.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1