IGNORED

Metroidvania for Atari Jaguar - anyone?

phoboz

15 hours ago, phoboz said:

You could also compare this to an "Indie game" as opposed to an AAA game.

I am not sure why the term "homebrew" is being used for the Jaguar, as this term seems to refer to games that are developed for a system without a license from the console IP owner. Often using "hacked" tools.

However, please note that the Atari Jaguar was declared an open platform by their final IP owner "Hasbro Interactive" in May 1999.

All development can be done using official tools, and the original developer documentation.

So there is nothing that prevents a complete legit game release for the Atari Jaguar, as opposed to many other retro game consoles.

Also note that what made the well established game company "Electronic Arts" what they are today, is that they reverse engineered the SEGA Genesis to avoid costly license fees from SEGA. So you could call their very successful games for the Genesis homebrews? (eventually they made a deal, but they used their own "hacked" technology for developing games rather than using the official one)

Nevertheless, I think that we have seen some very competent Indie Developed action/adventure games over the years. So if we are to up the competition a little bit, here are a few great examples: Axion Verge, and The Mummy Demastered.

Let's where we end up on this one?...

You missed the point that I was trying to make. I was responding to Peters question why Atari bothered with "ugly" 3D when the yould have done "nice" pixels. I gave a possible  answer. The Lynx was very good with pixel graphics but Atari had no chance to be competitive with these games, for lack of popular IPs and lack of financial and development resources.  So 3D offered a nice window of opportunity to make the Jaguar a success.

In the end, the most memorable games were 3D games - AvP, Tempest, Doom, W3D, Super Burn, Out Iron Soldier - with Rayman a notable exception.

I remember fondly how everyone was so disappointed with ports of middle of the road 16 bit games. 

Edited by agradeneu

I remember in magazines like GamePro, etc back in the day when Castlevania: Symphony of the Night came out, the outlook on 2D over 3D was that 2D was old and done and 3D was modern gaming.  Symphony of the Night had rekindled people's interest (on consoles anyhow) and started that debate whether 2D could still be successful in modern gaming.  Obviously we know now that both can exist fine, but in that Jaguar / 3DO / PS1 era, 2D wasn't giving people that same 'wow' factor that new 3D gaming was, even if early 3D gaming didn't age well at all.

Having said that, I love seeing stuff like this show up for Jaguar, and will definitely support it as long as I have my black n' red kitty machine.  I think it looks awesome!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Stage_1_Boss said:

I remember in magazines like GamePro, etc back in the day when Castlevania: Symphony of the Night came out, the outlook on 2D over 3D was that 2D was old and done and 3D was modern gaming.  Symphony of the Night had rekindled people's interest (on consoles anyhow) and started that debate whether 2D could still be successful in modern gaming.  Obviously we know now that both can exist fine, but in that Jaguar / 3DO / PS1 era, 2D wasn't giving people that same 'wow' factor that new 3D gaming was, even if early 3D gaming didn't age well at all.

Having said that, I love seeing stuff like this show up for Jaguar, and will definitely support it as long as I have my black n' red kitty machine.  I think it looks awesome!

Well said. 

5 hours ago, agradeneu said:

You missed the point

No I got the point, and agree to it. Early 3D was probably heavier on the coding side, but probably less time consuming for the artist(s)

I just wanted to react to the assumption that a game should only be compared to other games that fall under a specific label. As @PeterG mentioned, it's just a label.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 2

Hmm...the latest boss could be made more distinct from the Ice boss, and I hope its current set of sprites are just placeholders. One thing I would add would be sprite rotation effects. Another thing would be having said boss go back a few steps every ten shots.

I like the boss gfx! 

For boss level design, I think you should give the player some more options for the battle. I noticed that the player gets cornered by the boss and has no room to evade. Maybe add some plaforms, so that the player can evade the boss and get behind him?

• Like 2

Version 2 of the Slime BOSS for the sewers area.

Updates due to some comments on the video, and on this forum:

1. Added a structure to take cover behind when the BOSS tries to corner the player

2. 2 possible paths of attacking the BOSS in this mode, above the structure, or below the structure.

3. Hit indication for all bullets (green flash)

4. Player bullets turned around

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 13

@phoboz I am loving the music in this.  The graphics are great and the game play seems good as well.  I noticed that the protagonist disappears for a couple seconds when hit by an enemy.  Will this be in the final version?  I might suggest something more of a flashing or a bump back when contact is made.  Just my 2p.

5 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

I noticed that the protagonist disappears for a couple seconds when hit by an enemy. 

Try playing this video in full screen mode, when I do that the flashing effect is displayed correctly. I started to capture the video using 60 FPS (starting now), but it appears to work only when using full screen mode.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CD-i said:

It's great! Thanks for picking up suggestions in the game!

Yeah, taking the suggestions as help instead of criticism speaks great of you phoboz. That quality of yours seems only matched by your coding skills. Its only gonna make the project better.

Its amazing how far it’s come along!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Chris Brockman said:

Every time I watch a new video the game is improved.  Good job!  I hope you do alot more on the Jaguar!  The NUON could use one of your games as well :)

I find the NUON quite interesting, however, it seems to be very hard to find a controller.

The ideas for 2D, and 2.5D games that have had, the power of the Jaguar seems to be sufficient, maybe if I get into 3D (someday) the NUON would be interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phoboz said:

I haven't thought about it, I tried to make to walking sound low enough to not be disturbing. The sound is higher when running.

To me the current sound is distracting.  Sounds like the hero has wet shoes or something, hence the request for an option to turn off.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:44 AM, phoboz said:

I find the NUON quite interesting, however, it seems to be very hard to find a controller.

The ideas for 2D, and 2.5D games that have had, the power of the Jaguar seems to be sufficient, maybe if I get into 3D (someday) the NUON would be interesting.

You commit to doing something on NUON my friend and I will give you a NUON controller.

• Like 3