IGNORED

Metroidvania for Atari Jaguar - anyone?

phoboz

On 5/19/2021 at 3:44 AM, phoboz said:

I find the NUON quite interesting, however, it seems to be very hard to find a controller.

The ideas for 2D, and 2.5D games that have had, the power of the Jaguar seems to be sufficient, maybe if I get into 3D (someday) the NUON would be interesting.

Chris' offer for a controller would be well placed.

The Nuon might be able to handle 3D pretty well as it seems to basically have the power of Playstation 1 or 2.

Honestly, I think until that is mastered, having a game like the one above in 2D or 2.5 D I  think Nuon gamers would be hungry for. 

Good luck to anyone developing for Nuon though.  I gave up 20 years ago because of having to burn CD-Rs for every code change.  Sadly, in the last 20 years, the situation has not changed one bit.  I tried for years to get a development kit.  I was close to having one secured, but nothing ever came from it.  A BJL like device would be awesome.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have to investigate more before I can commit to do anything for the Nuon. Still there is plenty of work to be done on Asteroite for the Jaguar.

It always takes time to learn a new platform, and it's crucial to have good support libraries. Also there must be a way to test frequently, but I understand there is an emulator for the Nuon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoboz said:

I have to investigate more before I can commit to do anything for the Nuon. Still there is plenty of work to be done on Asteroite for the Jaguar.

It always takes time to learn a new platform, and it's crucial to have good support libraries. Also there must be a way to test frequently, but I understand there is an emulator for the Nuon.

There is an emulator but don't expect much from it.  It's very slow and it has trouble even running my simple Breakout game written in C.  The updated version that someone names toxie I believe unfortunately is worse than the previous version regarding that.   He seemed to disappear soon after releasing it.

Not trying to dissuade you from doing work on the Nuon, but just letting you know what to expect.

• 1 month later...

It really is looking good. Regarding walking and running a notch or two down in volume would probably do it, though an on / off for certain sound effects would be brilliant.

Grandia 2 for its HD remaster made a volume control for menu sound in a post release patch and its the best thing they ever did to it, so there is some benefit to making sound adjustable, everyone is sensitive to sounds in different ways. 

Personally I'd turn off the shooting noise or lower the volume if it was an option, but I'd want a noise to be in the game I wouldn't want it taken out! 

That's all fussy business though, that's just "how can I get most enjoyment from. What is looking like a very impressive game" while yes it is clearly a "metroid" clone I feel it mixes a bit of Turrican feel to it too (which might be why I'm thinking of turning of shooting noises ? don't think any I played had any). 

• 2 months later...

A short update (no spoiler compared to previous videos) just to show some details that has been added to the game.

Please play the video in full screen mode, so it does not drop frames. The flashing effect will not look right in window mode.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

On 9/25/2021 at 11:29 PM, SlidellMan said:

though it was slightly disappointing not hearing my energy recovered

There are 2 other sound effects for health refill, and missile refill now. The cartridges space was almost completely used, so we had to make some sounds that fit in the remaining space.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, phoboz said:

There are 2 other sound effects for health refill, and missile refill now. The cartridges space was almost completely used, so we had to make some sounds that fit in the remaining space.

Sounds totally understandable, but do you guys have no private messaging group where your team can discuss and resolve issues internally? ;-) 

I love following along these game dev threads, seeing games progress as more time/work goes into them. Thanks for sharing your journey @phoboz!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm curious... how was this made? As in, did you use rB+/JagStudio or any of its individual modules? Or perhaps your own ASM/C from the ground up?

Knowing which tools each creator is using helps me better understand and appreciate the work put into these things.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm curious... how was this made?

Just as mentioned above, the games are developed using the Removers' library.

This means that I can focus on the gameplay program, which is mainly developed using the C programming language.

However, there are graphical features in my games that were not originally part of the Removers' library (like the tile-map, and parallax scrolling engines that you see in Kings of Edom, and Asteroite).

These were custom developed in assembly, because they are running on the GPU of the Atari Jaguar. Perhaps I will submit these engines to the Removers' library on GitHub one day. There is also a custom tool that I made for converting tile-maps created with an open source level editor called Tiled. So this would need to be provided as well.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, phoboz said:

Just as mentioned above, the games are developed using the Removers' library.

This means that I can focus on the gameplay program, which is mainly developed using the C programming language.

However, there are graphical features in my games that were not originally part of the Removers' library (like the tile-map, and parallax scrolling engines that you see in Kings of Edom, and Asteroite).

These were custom developed in assembly, because they are running on the GPU of the Atari Jaguar. Perhaps I will submit these engines to the Removers' library on GitHub one day. There is also a custom tool that I made for converting tile-maps created with an open source level editor called Tiled. So this would need to be provided as well.

Tiled is a great tool. Very good work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 1:29 AM, phoboz said:

Perhaps I will submit these engines to the Removers' library on GitHub one day.

If you used The Removers library under the standard LGPL license it has on github, you're legally required to provide the source modifications, as well as sufficient source material to recreate your game ROM (E.g., object files) based on any changes to the removers library end users might make. I also don't know that a ROM image would meet the dynamic linking requirement. Is it used under some alternate license? This licensing is the one of the reasons I haven't looked into The Removers library that much myself.

• Like 1

Changes that were made directly to the library were already pubished by the author of the library.

The separate modules (like tile map) in this game are linked as individual object files alongside with the library, so it's not really a change to the library itself. Nevertheless they can be published some day, but should be made more user friendly first.

I am quite sure that the LGPL license would only make sense if it is considered be (dynamically) linked. Otherwise it would be no point to go for a LGPL license in this case, as the Jaguar does not support Linux type of shared object files, nor does many of the other embedded systems that use LGPL licensed libraries. Like any system using VxWorks, which has a lot of LGPL libraries, and complier in the toolchain.

In the end, the author or the Removers' library was along supporting me in all my games. I have also made him quite aware of my intentions to sell these games, so it should not come as a surprise...

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are now working on the box art, and game manual. The game box will have an unique 3D rendered image with a scene from the game. I am awaiting permission from the artist to show a sample here...

The game itself is more, or less complete as it feels today, but we might notice additional things to improve before release... It took me almost 2 hours to speed-run the game. I am quite good at this now, as I know exactly were everything is located, and the optimal tactics to beat each BOSS. I did a brief check on speed-runs for some other of my favourite metroidvanias, and these could be speedrun in about half the time.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1