IGNORED

HSC18 Round 1: NIBBLER

IF YOU MISSED THIS ROUND LATE SCORES WELCOME - JOIN IN AT ANY TIME :waving:

After some tussling Nibbler is primed and ready for action kicking off the new season of High Score Club action here in Atari 8-bit land.

Fire Up Those Atari's (or emulators) and get playing this great game. Screenshots optional but are welcomed of course, especially if you are at the top end of the table :)

Round ends Sunday 31st Jan 10am UK time, the 2nd round poll will start in the final week of play.

Any questions or problems getting setup post or message, and importantly LOW SCORES ARE WELCOME :party:

Nibbler

plenty of lives and great fun zap around the maze and eat everything apart from yourself! Starts of nice and easy.

nibbler_4.gif.de675fd95f7a5c4eb16f7a69e04f7a7b.gif

Fandal's ATR version is fixed and doesn't have the lock-up problem, though I suspect it might still have the eat yourself lock-up one [when you catch your tail - also do not eat a dot when it is right next to your body, when travelling vertically, after the speed change on level 6], but you can avoid that usually. Long time no play. Needs a good joystick. ESC=pause but don't use it on the new fixed ATR version, I left it for a minute and it locked up with flickering purple status bar.

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2496

Info on Atarimania

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-nibbler_3694.html#

File versions play ok but occasionally lock up.

GAME ON!

IF YOU MISSED THIS ROUND LATE SCORES WELCOME - JOIN IN AT ANY TIME :waving:

Edited by therealbountybob
Late Scores Welcome and Join in on Current Round

17 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

After some tussling Nibbler is primed and ready for action kicking off the new season of High Score Club action here in Atari 8-bit land.

Fire Up Those Atari's (or emulators) and get playing this great game. Screenshots optional but are welcomed of course, especially if you are at the top end of the table :)

Round ends Sunday 31st Jan 10am UK time, the 2nd round poll will start in the final week of play.

Any questions or problems getting setup post or message, and importantly LOW SCORES ARE WELCOME :party:

Low scores are recognized as well?!?!  Finally, a gaming competition I can be somebody in!!

• Like 1

Fun game! Just about the right difficulty level to get started before it goes fast.

Nibbler - 50480 pts (wave 10 ???)

While I am at it, I would like to take the opportunity to advertise the classic gameplay tracker where you don't count your scores, but the amount of time you play each game. I have been participating in it since the summer of 2013 (longer than I've played the A8 HSC) and since the beginning of 2019, I am the maintainer who posts weekly stats. Usually I am the only person to post times for the Atari 8-bit computers, with a few exceptions. Several (but far from all) of the guys in the 2600 HSC combine counting scores and times which is one of the reasons why the Atari 2600 often is the ultimate gaming system of the week. You don't have to post every week, it is fine if you do it every now and then or even just once. You can post estimates or count every minute exactly, it is up to you. Shall we make 2021 the Year of the Atari 8-bit Computers?

nibbler-50480.thumb.jpg.e430486f877336f5260a5e4fd61e4d0e.jpg

• Like 2

First time playing Nibbler or HSC.

-- Nibbler follows most corners automatically.  This was confusing at first.

-- Wave 6 reminded me of walking into a sliding door.  It gets real fast all of a sudden.

-- If you're going to die, it's best to wait until the board is almost clear, so you can rack up more sweet timer bonus points.

-- ESCAPE pauses so you can have a think (or a drink).

55610, wave 11.

atari000.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, thank you said:

-- Wave 6 reminded me of walking into a sliding door.  It gets real fast all of a sudden.

-- If you're going to die, it's best to wait until the board is almost clear, so you can rack up more sweet timer bonus points.

55610, wave 11.

atari000.png

Welcome 'thank you' for joining us ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Low scores are recognized as well?!?!  Finally, a gaming competition I can be somebody in!!

Yes, don't try, and see how you get on :thumbsup: and you'll need to battle the roadrunner for that end of the table (reverse psychology... or is it?) ;-)

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

Fun game! Just about the right difficulty level to get started before it goes fast.

Nibbler - 50480 pts (wave 10 ???)

While I am at it, I would like to take the opportunity to advertise the classic gameplay tracker where you don't count your scores, but the amount of time you play each game

EVERYONE Feel free to promote any other interests here :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, thank you said:

55610, wave 11.

thank you for playing thank you :grin:

I can't decide if my reactions are slower or my favourite joystick is waining, probably both but I scraped through to round 21! Score 232,980 ;-)

Nibbler.thumb.jpg.ff587a818abfbae25c209764b7039488.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Marius said:

OH great, we play Nibbler. I love that game. 

I should find some time!

13 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

72880.  What a great game!!!

Yes it's one of my favourites, always looking for something that everyone can get straight into playing for the first round of the season :)

Nibbled a bit more just to keep McKong busy

355,680 it gets insanely fast but I do remeber last time sort of clocking it where it slowed down again for a while... really don't think my reactions are up to that again :-o

Nibbler.jpg.04a875351393f9ec9c7979f7bba795e2.jpg

Oh and don't use the pause on the new fixed ATR version, I left it for a minute and it locked up with flickering purple status bar.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, McKong said:

:thumbsup: that didn't take you long ;-)

NTSC players will have to accept us PAL players will probably have an easier time on reaction games, so deteacher and graywest (i think) are usually the top two NTSC players.

Will play me some more Nibbler later!

• Like 2