IGNORED

Comadore 64C - Is there any common problems I should know about?

Finn Mac

Hi all,

I recently came in possession of a C64 C. before I switch it on I want to know is there any common problems that can go wrong with the Commodore 64 or it's power unit and such because I read that c64 power units can go bad in storage.

As far as I know it has been stored well. The printer and floppy drive both turn on which is of course a good sign for the main unit.

Many thanks,

Finn

2 hours ago, Finn Mac said:

I read that c64 power units can go bad in storage.

They have a tendency to over-volt after a while without warning.  This tends to fry chips, and I've lost a couple of boards as a result.  If yours is original, then it's best to replace it with a modern one, or at the very least get an inline power saver.  You can get either or both from Ray Carlson's site: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/

I got the North American "P64 Mini" unit from him about a year ago.  It works great!  And I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know which C-64C you have? There are two very different versions, one with what is referred to as the short board, motherboard, the other uses an older, breadbin type motherboard.

You can usually tell by where the Commodore graphics symbols are located on the keys. If they are on the front of the keys, it's the older type motherboard. (this holds true if the computer is in original condition) The newer, short board, will last longer without problems from the chips.

Get a new PSU though. Don't trust those old Commodore units under any circumstances!