IGNORED

I want to buy an Atari 800XL

zuko1

I'v been a member on here for years on and off & i'v always had a soft spot for the atari 800 but now i would like to buy one. I'v been on ebay and the prices are ridiculous for untested machines so, has anyone or does anyone know where i could buy a working 800XL for a reasonable price? i'm based in the midlands united kingdom. 

Had a look on eBay and there's quite a few in the £90 to £155 range, obviously there's also the stupid priced ones too.

I know this is not quite what your looking for, but someone on this forum might be interested in these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-Home-Computer-800XL-Factory-Box-2-Units-Brand-New-Sealed/184569567963?hash=item2af9341adb:g:5NsAAOSwy8VfzaQB

Edited by TGB1718
Update
  • Like 2

Hi zuko1,

try these links to eBay, they also comes with a 1050 disk drive.

Collectors item - Atari 800XL & Atari 1050 Drive - Manufactured In Hong Kong | eBay

Collectors piece - Atari 800XL Computer With Atari 1050 Disc Drive | eBay

Regards

Edited by blacka013
  • Like 1

It all depends on your personal definition of "ridiculous" and "reasonable". :)

The time to get them dirt cheap was the 90's and up to the mid 2000's. Now, they are getting back to their retail prices (minus inflation, of course).

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 2

If you take your time you can get them for as little as £50 untested, they're fairly sturdy machines so if it looks in good condition there's a good chance it will work fine.

If you don't want to risk it I saw one recently sell for £90 incl postage and a 1010 deck, u just need to keep an eye on auction.

Don't buy one with an ingot supply, you'll have to pay extra for a new psu and it may have damaged the machine when they tried to test it.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:34 PM, zuko1 said:

I'v been a member on here for years on and off & i'v always had a soft spot for the atari 800 but now i would like to buy one. I'v been on ebay and the prices are ridiculous for untested machines so, has anyone or does anyone know where i could buy a working 800XL for a reasonable price? i'm based in the midlands united kingdom. 

I do not know about the UK situation, but  here in the states  sometimes dealers have a better price than e-bay.  I recently purchased my 130XE for $199, boxed, near perfect condition, and the dealer warranties it.  At the time, it was hit or miss if e-bay even had a 130xe, and they'd be offered for $250 in yellowed condition.

But this guy seems to move a lot of units, anyway, he has an 800XL for $199 and the most interesting unit is a brand new in box 600xl for $169.  For U.S. folks, its "Bonus Life"...came up on google search, is how I found them, but they are good.

Personally with dealer prices being competitive these days, I wouldn't touch e-bay.

Edited by Dmitry

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

I do not know about the UK situation, but  here in the states  sometimes dealers have a better price than e-bay.  I recently purchased my 130XE for $199, boxed, near perfect condition, and the dealer warranties it.  At the time, it was hit or miss if e-bay even had a 130xe, and they'd be offered for $250 in yellowed condition.

But this guy seems to move a lot of units, anyway, he has an 800XL for $199 and the most interesting unit is a brand new in box 600xl for $169.  For U.S. folks, its "Bonus Life"...came up on google search, is how I found them, but they are good.

Personally with dealer prices being competitive these days, I wouldn't touch e-bay.

That Bonus Life site is impressive, the problem is considering exchange rates and shipping, shopping in the US is just too expensive. Damn I wish they had something like that in AU.

I'm thinking of getting up early on weekends and checking out garage sales...

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Preppie said:

That's a Taiwan made one from April 1984, if I understand the stamp correctly. Probably fully socketed except for the delay line, and the power supply is OK. Does not look too yellowed to me. So, do we agree not to bid against the topic starter? :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ivop said:

That's a Taiwan made one from April 1984, if I understand the stamp correctly. Probably fully socketed except for the delay line, and the power supply is OK. Does not look too yellowed to me. So, do we agree not to bid against the topic starter? :)

I spotted it first, i just like a bit of competition ?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Preppie said:

Seller also has a 1050 drive, same starting bid. 

If interested in both should contact seller to see if combined shipping is available.

• Like 1

I'v brought an 800XL from Ebay with cassette deck, power supply, Manuals, 2 Joysticks for £130.00 plus 12.95 delivery. it's untested but the light comes on!! wish me luck ? but either way, i'm happy i'm now the proud owner of an Atari 800XL ☺️

Edited by zuko1
  • Like 5

Congrats zuko1, of course we hope its a good 'un and you have many a happy hour on it..

If ever you want to expand it then Candles new cart in the can't solder thread sounds ace and either a Side3 or AVG cart would be excellent additions (me, I'd go for the AVG with SIO cable but both are great carts)

Only problem is the UK has become toxic to send to because of the dodgy old brexxit VAT thing...Hopefully it will get sorted out some time soon... 

• Like 1

It's been delivered & i'm pleased to say it works!! I have totally stripped it down, removed keys and Aluminium cartridge slot covers, blew it all out & washed the case. It looks like new now & i'm so looking forward to building this system up. I'll post some pictures of before & after clean up soon. Thanks for all your help everyone ?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Don't want to worry but that seems to be an ingot PSU in the last picture..Can't be 100% but it deffo looks like one..

Yeah. The sticker on top seems missing, but the overall shape looks like an ingot!

IMG_20210126_153330984.jpg

Edited by ivop

31 minutes ago, ivop said:

Yeah. The sticker on top seems missing, but the overall shape looks like an ingot!

You need to be extra careful in cases like this, Suntron made a power supply with the same case as the INGOT but C64 pinout.

I believe Suntron is the original manufacturer, and that their PS#100(MODEL NO:DV-512CM) was supplied to both Commodore and Atari with different case/pinout.

suntron dv-512cm.jpg