IGNORED

CC65 development in Visual Studio Code

LX.NET

1 minute ago, LordKraken said:

WUT? really?

Oh yes! The last item of my bucket list was a wish to hear The Beatles "When I'm 64". My kids (and grandkid) performed it flawessly as a birthday present when I turned 64 last year. It was one of the thoughts I had since I was 15. We used to sail and play Beatles songs on the guitar at camp fires. And I was thinking about the lyrics and wondered where I will be when I turn 64. Now I know ;) 

Perhaps it would be a good idea to create a new bucket list.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, karri said:

Yes. Sorry for my bad English.

No, not bad English. I simply did not expect it. I thought I am old with 50year ;-) I have at least 17 years more to work (unless some global player's going to pay a fortune for our company).

• Haha 1

Back to the topic (or the subtopic), the processor has 6 cores so that's good.

Also 32 GB of RAM is great but very rare on a laptop (and super exepensive). You will be good with 16.

Why are you considering Blender Game Engine. It is discontinued and has never been used in any relevant game afaik. But ok if the purpose is to just play around, then it's probably good enough.

If the purpose is to make game for modern platforms while playing with a modern rendering pipeline, Unreal or Unity have made their proof.

Edited by LordKraken

11 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Back to the topic (or the subtopic), the processor has 6 cores so that's good.

Also 32 GB of RAM is great but very rare on a laptop (and super exepensive). You will be good with 16.

Why are you considering Blender Game Engine. It is discontinued and has never been used in any relevant game afaik. But ok if the purpose is to just play around, then it's probably good enough.

If the purpose is to make game for modern platforms while playing with a modern rendering pipeline, Unreal or Unity have made their proof.

The laptop has space for 32 GB. I know that Blender Game Engine was discontinued. But it has started a life of its own as "Uchronia Project Blender Game Engine". I already ported it to Pi 400.

2020-11-27-001027_1920x1080_scrot.thumb.png.324f8fccee238c4f4b30cd20ca89298a.png

The reason why I am interested in Blender is that when the original company who developed Blender in the Netherlands went bankrupt in th 80's I was one of the guys who forked out money to buy the source code from the lawyers and created the free Blender.

Since then I have been using Blender. And it is better for my use than Unreal because I can edit the graphics and create the animations and actions in the same tool.

And in order to use it for development I need lots of power. That is why I want Nvidia RTX 2060 and an i7 CPU. Plus that 32 GB of memory.

8 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

I agree 32GB is luxury, but having sometimes two or three VMs running I need it. Plus a large RAM disk for temporary files to not to wear out the SSD to quick.

That said, I won't use a FHD screen on  a laptop anymore. 4K is soooo crisp.

27 minutes ago, karri said:

Setting up a Windows computer is so frustrating. I just noticed that installing WSL2 required for Docker breaks VirtualBox running linux. So now I am trying VMware...

Oh, good I did not try to setup WSL2 then as I rely heavily on VMs.

• 1 month later...

Yes. I finally released the first 3D + green screen clip for the summers play and have now the time to dig into this Docker on Windows thing.

Alex setup worked without hassles. So I now have Oliver's cc65 version in one container.

I assume that debugging needs to be done with gdb as it was compiled on Alpine linux - right?

Or is there a way to debug sp65 directly from Visual Studio Code?

I seem to have been away so long from the Lynx stuff that GIMP produce pcx files that crash sp65. Sigh...

2 hours ago, karri said:

Yes. I finally released the first 3D + green screen clip for the summers play and have now the time to dig into this Docker on Windows thing.

Alex setup worked without hassles. So I now have Oliver's cc65 version in one container.

I assume that debugging needs to be done with gdb as it was compiled on Alpine linux - right?

Or is there a way to debug sp65 directly from Visual Studio Code?

I seem to have been away so long from the Lynx stuff that GIMP produce pcx files that crash sp65. Sigh...

If you're using the dev release, it's normal, some formats are broken.

If you're using the stable one, when you save the image check "compatibility options->Don't save color informations" (or something like this).

This works for me with BMP files, should be the same for PCX.

3 hours ago, Nop90 said:

If you're using the dev release, it's normal, some formats are broken.

If you're using the stable one, when you save the image check "compatibility options->Don't save color informations" (or something like this).

This works for me with BMP files, should be the same for PCX.

I would prefer to get these pcx parsed ok in any setups. It is so annoying when GIMP is updated and the formats change.

I just got my 2nd Docker  setup working with my cc65 version. Having both versions available could be handy if I want to port things over.

There seems to be a command line gdb debugger available. It is enough for me.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, LX.NET said:

I will create a repository at github to hold Docker files for environments. Probably something like https://www.github.com/AtariLynx/devcontainers.

Alex 

This github for docker files does not seem to exists yet.

On a related topic...
I can use git to clone a project into the Docker workspace and work with it there.

Is this the intended workflow?

My problem is that I don't want my Lynx game to be inside the cc65 sources.

For my own cc65 version the terminal looks like:

vscode->/workspaces/lynx/tools (master X)

It allows me to create stuff in the ~/lynx/tools directory. But I am not able to compile stuff in ~/games/naughty directory.

@karri You should be able to setup it whichever way you want. That might mean tweaking your dockerfile to suit your needs. I assume you have already done that. The sources to build the tooling is included at the moment. It can be optimized to be removed in a final docker image. That would leave just the tooling and your game code.

If you want we can arrange a Teams or Zoom session to dive in with screen sharing. It will probably help getting details across. Let me know who is interested so we can try and set up a meeting. 

1 minute ago, LX.NET said:

@karri You should be able to setup it whichever way you want. That might mean tweaking your dockerfile to suit your needs. I assume you have already done that. The sources to build the tooling is included at the moment. It can be optimized to be removed in a final docker image. That would leave just the tooling and your game code.

If you want we can arrange a Teams or Zoom session to dive in with screen sharing. It will probably help getting details across. Let me know who is interested so we can try and set up a meeting. 

Sounds great! I am in. Except on Tuesday evening when I have rehearsals on Google meet and on Sunday evening when I will be on a Doctor Who session at GalaxyCon. So life seems to be going on despite COVID.

PS. I just got a note that my age group is up for vaccines starting tomorrow at 10. So there is some hope to make the pandemic go away...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, karri said:

For some strange reason Docker stopped working as well as the entire WSL2 subsystem on my Windows 10 computer. No clue of how to fix it :(

Perhaps I have to go with dual-boots to get things to work reliably.

Dual boot for Windows/Linux? I recommend VirtualBox. I use it for my daily work w/o problems. Mouting a windows folder in a Linux-VM, running Linux tools in the VM and a Debugger on Windows. Sharing USB devices. All works like a charm.

Last time I did dual-boot is so long ago, I even can't remember.

My wife uses it on her Mac for some tools that only exist on WinXP. Same, no problems.

• Like 2

Another advantage of a VM is that if you have to change your pc/laptop (like I did last month) can simply backup the VM files on a USB disk then copy them on the new PC.

A backup of a Linux OS installed on a physical disk is not so easy.

21 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

have you ever tried to restore such a linux disk image on another PC with different HW?

Yes. Sometimes I need to restore the grub boot after restore by booting from a rescue disk. But if the CPU and GPU is modern enough to support the image it should work.

I just turned on my Windows machine again. And now everything works. I have not done anything at all. Except restarted it three times.

This gives me a feeling that someone else is in charge of my laptop. Is Windows really like this?