IGNORED

Return to Cloudy Mountain Contest

Itchy Scratchy

I think that post contains TMI. Way TMI.

And I'm confused as well... Boycott? Not sure, but it does seem to totally smack of elitism, though, that seems sure. And creating planned, artificial scarcity, as well. These confusing things could wind up fracuring and fragmenting this small community. That's a Bad Thing. We need to stick together and not become some Secret Society.

10 hours ago, Swami said:

Part of some elitist "no-release" telling-others-what-they-can-do-with-their-property conglomerate. Something really weird about it. Lots of ifs and buts I wouldn't trust. I say we boycott him and all "From Scratch" games for this nonsense.

I'm trying to understand.

Is this some conspiracy thing?

I paid close to $5,000 while all you have to do is purchase a game for probably less than $100 and enter your certificate to win the rom which then you are free to do as you want.

Or are you just being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

I paid close to $5,000 while all you have to do is purchase a game for probably less than $100 and enter your certificate to win the rom which then you are free to do as you want.

Well in other threads you were berating Collectorvision for not releasing the prototype roms they have acquired and now you are seemingly doing the very thing you berated them for. 

And unless you recently changed your post you are not “free” to do what you want with the rom as in your post there was a condition that if won the rom was not be distributed.

51 minutes ago, zaphro72 said:

Well in other threads you were berating Collectorvision for not releasing the prototype roms they have acquired and now you are seemingly doing the very thing you berated them for. 

And unless you recently changed your post you are not “free” to do what you want with the rom as in your post there was a condition that if won the rom was not be distributed.

If I put a legal disclaimer to protect myself and business then that is what I will do.

Whomever wins the rom I have no control over what you do with it.

But if this contest is going to be received negatively then I just won't do it.

No one berated anyone over the energy quiz other than something to the effect that we are still waiting on that.  If I remember myself correctly.

Now, they are a different situation.

I paid close to $5g for the rom and none of you did.  I suspect that some of you pulled your resources just so what happened with the Energy Quiz was going to happen with this one while one of you got to keep the one of a kind rom in their private collection.

So in a technical sense one of you would receive the real deal and not a copy all for the buy in price of a really cool game.

As far as the Energy quiz I can faithfully assume they are trying to recover all the costs before they release a copy of the rom.

So you are debating Apples and Oranges.

But I am always happy to get opinions so issues can be resolved.

24 minutes ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

As far as the Energy quiz I can faithfully assume they are trying to recover all the costs before they release a copy of the rom

Are you aware that CollectorVision did release Energy Quiz as a complete in box game?  So, the game is out there in the community and the rom can be easily dumped by buyers from the cart they purchased (for their own use of course).

31 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Are you aware that CollectorVision did release Energy Quiz as a complete in box game?  So, the game is out there in the community and the rom can be easily dumped by buyers from the cart they purchased (for their own use of course).

We're releasing ALL prototypes we're saving
Energy Quiz rom has not been made available yet, but we're soon going to make it available publicly 

Same goes for our Power Lord prototype (different from the one that has been dumped)

Learning with Wuzzywomp will get a complete in box release this year
Math Quest should get released (Complete in box with overlay) in the upcoming months

We're also on the way to dump 2x more prototype (never been dumped)

We'll NEVER hold a prototype and we'll make them ALL available publicly
It's only a matter of time really

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

"All we have to do is give you $100" for who knows what kind of game.

This does not guarantee I will own the rom if I give you $100, just a chance, if you decide you've sold enough to cover the proto.

Wu Tang Clan released an album as a single unit with the stipulation that whoever won the auction could not duplicate it (sold for $2,000,000), so, don't tell me it's not enforceable. You said in your blog you wanted to be sure it was legally binding.

Trying to use it to get thousands of dollars from the community for some other game we know nothing about and may never come to be and not the actual three MOTU game roms while possibly restricting the new owner to hording them (or it, if you plan on hoarding the other two -- you never said)

I find a kind of smoke and mirrors presentation along with arrogance and entitlement from the beginning with you which leads me to wonder if there will ever be an advantage to dealing with you.

Maybe try coming in a little less hot with your schemes in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swami said:

"All we have to do is give you $100" for who knows what kind of game.

This does not guarantee I will own the rom if I give you $100, just a chance, if you decide you've sold enough to cover the proto.

Wu Tang Clan released an album as a single unit with the stipulation that whoever won the auction could not duplicate it (sold for $2,000,000), so, don't tell me it's not enforceable. You said in your blog you wanted to be sure it was legally binding.

Trying to use it to get thousands of dollars from the community for some other game we know nothing about and may never come to be and not the actual three MOTU game roms while possibly restricting the new owner to hording them (or it, if you plan on hoarding the other two -- you never said)

I find a kind of smoke and mirrors presentation along with arrogance and entitlement from the beginning with you which leads me to wonder if there will ever be an advantage to dealing with you.

Maybe try coming in a little less hot with your schemes in the future.

No, you make a great point.

The actual plan while talking to wife coming back from Sams was to go all in with give out secondary prizes like a VDD or a never opened Expansion module #1

But you made it clear that you do not want any of that so I will just drop it.

Thank you Swami, I really do appreciate the input.

BTW, those who actually defeated the Sword Quest Challenge, not everyone who entered received the Golden items.

Yet they still bought the game and had fun.

So instead of making this an issue I would rather make peace

So I just updated my status and ended the contest.

BTW, Entitlement....I am the one who bought it for close to $5k which you did not.

I think I am entitled to so whatever I want with it which includes give it away as a grand prize or bury it in an E.T. Landfill if I so choose.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

2 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

No, you make a great point.

The actual plan while talking to wife coming back from Sams was to go all in with give out secondary prizes like a VDD or a never opened Expansion module #1

But you made it clear that you do not want any of that so I will just drop it.

Thank you Swami, I really do appreciate the input.

BTW, those who actually defeated the Sword Quest Challenge, not everyone who entered received the Golden items.

Yet they still bought the game and had fun.

So instead of making this an issue I would rather make peace

So I just updated my status and ended the contest.

BTW, Entitlement....I am the one who bought it for close to $5k which you did not.

I think I am entitled to so whatever I want with it which includes give it away as a grand prize or bury it in an E.T. Landfill if I so choose.

Just saying what was on my mind once or twice. I'm done.

1 hour ago, Zinister said:

Perhaps if someone buys your new 100.00 game you could just give the He-Man rom with its a bonus.  Then you can recoup your costs.

I finally kinda except the fact I won't get to play it at this point.  Maybe you could record a play though one day for everyone to see.

Right now I am focusing on finishing several games to get them out the door.

He-Man will be put on the burner until the Return to Cloudy Mountain is completed.

The theory was it is a tie in to the original D&D which was also on the intellivision.

Being as I do not own the rights to D&D I do doubt they own the rights to a Cloudy Mountain.

This an expanded world based off similar concepts of the original game but much larger with new quest lines and probably a save state built in.

I became tired of the same game over and over on the Colecovision and if we are to get out of this mold and create REAL new games and not the same old deal or MSX ports then what is the point.

My second system after the ADAM was an Amiga and one of my favorite games was Faery tale Adventure.

It is high time we do something like this.

Now, I may run the contest again in the future but putting critics in their zone...Don't buy or participate.

If you have objections then there you go but others might want this.

Any other games that I do sell I plan to hold contests for some fancy collectables.

But if none of this is well received then what's the point.

I really liked playing the intellivison Treasures of Tarmin quite a lot. Completed it a few times.

I played the hell out of Sword quest earthworld. I remember the contest well. That game was painful though and the contest was the only reason to keep playing it.

I never tried the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Cloudy mountain. Do you have any screen shots yet?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Right now I am focusing on finishing several games to get them out the door.

He-Man will be put on the burner until the Return to Cloudy Mountain is completed.

The theory was it is a tie in to the original D&D which was also on the intellivision.

Being as I do not own the rights to D&D I do doubt they own the rights to a Cloudy Mountain.

This an expanded world based off similar concepts of the original game but much larger with new quest lines and probably a save state built in.

I became tired of the same game over and over on the Colecovision and if we are to get out of this mold and create REAL new games and not the same old deal or MSX ports then what is the point.

My second system after the ADAM was an Amiga and one of my favorite games was Faery tale Adventure.

It is high time we do something like this.

Now, I may run the contest again in the future but putting critics in their zone...Don't buy or participate.

If you have objections then there you go but others might want this.

Any other games that I do sell I plan to hold contests for some fancy collectables.

But if none of this is well received then what's the point.

Fair enough. And I totally agree with you about "getting out of the mold" and creating some novel and unique NEW games on the Coleco, not just ports. I'll totally support you on that idea and wish you the height of success.

Contests are sometimes neat, sometimes not, and I respect that you're trying to do something a little fun and interesting. Some may be better received than others. He-Man seems to be a current point of contention with many, so like you said, perhaps it's best to defer that "contest" and focus on another one.

Your idea of RPGs and / or quests sounds fantastic; I certainly would buy and support such games, as there is a dearth of them on the platform. I think a killer D&D and / or RPG on Coleco would be fantastic!

• Like 2

Screw your games dude!!!  Sorry, this all smells very fishy!! I personally won't play any of your garbage games and certainly wouldn't pay $100 for some game you package.  Too bad you did this but not surprised, watching you in the forum guess it was obvious what you were all about!!  

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, lawdawg710 said:

Screw your games dude!!!  Sorry, this all smells very fishy!! I personally won't play any of your garbage games and certainly wouldn't pay $100 for some game you package.  Too bad you did this but not surprised, watching you in the forum guess it was obvious what you were all about!!  

Hostility out of nowhere.

I usually recieve that response from my 2 year old grandson when he didn't get to have a soda for dinner.

When my software is ready to distribute free or for sale it is not mandatory that you participate but thank you for your input.

12 minutes ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Hostility out of nowhere.

I usually recieve that response from my 2 year old grandson when he didn't get to have a soda for dinner.

When my software is ready to distribute free or for sale it is not mandatory that you participate but thank you for your input.

Not hostility at all, simple response!!!  I hope you get a handful of supporters.  But I also hope the majority see through your BS and blacklist you!!  Maybe I seem hostile but I support the homerewers in this community (OPCODE, Pixelboy and Collectorvision etc) becuse they have a genuine desire to help the community.  You sir, do not represent those qualities in my honest opinion!!  Enjoy your game!!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, lawdawg710 said:

Not hostility at all, simple response!!!  I hope you get a handful of supporters.  But I also hope the majority see through your BS and blacklist you!!  Maybe I seem hostile but I support the homerewers in this community (OPCODE, Pixelboy and Collectorvision etc) becuse they have a genuine desire to help the community.  You sir, do not represent those qualities in my honest opinion!!  Enjoy your game!!

Well, you are free to reimburse me the money I spent + interest and then you can do what you want with the He-Man Rom.  Otherwise I do not know what you want from me.

Do you go to Walmart and scream up and down the isles that you are not going to buy something because they won't give you free stuff?

No clue where your generation came from but you really should work on your social skills.

I also do not know which qualities you are referring to.

If I were to guess, you want me to pay 5 grand for a prototype board and illegally give you a copy of the rom just so you can play it for a few days then turn it into cartridge to sell on ebay?

Are those the qualities that support the homebrewers you are looking for?

And Black List me or my business for what.  Because I won't give you a bite of my sandwich.  I paid for it.

If you wanted the He-Man Rom then why didn't you buy it and pass it around.

Or better yet, maybe if you asked real nicely BSR Steve would have given it too you for free.

I guess you berate him for selling it instead of giving you "YOUR SHARE" that somehow you earned just by being born.

I apologize once again because I am too busy working on exclusive games never made for the Colecovision from the ground up and I do have a lot of work to do.

So good luck on your journey of hating your fellow man that refuses to give you free stuff.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

16 hours ago, digress said:

I really liked playing the intellivison Treasures of Tarmin quite a lot. Completed it a few times.

I played the hell out of Sword quest earthworld. I remember the contest well. That game was painful though and the contest was the only reason to keep playing it.

I never tried the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Cloudy mountain. Do you have any screen shots yet?

I was able to BS my why through one of them, Fire World or Earth World.

My favorite though was Riddle of the Sphinx and Raiders.  And you know what, I liked E.T.  No idea what the fuss was about.

Treasures of Tarmin is a good one.  I would play that for hours while listing to the Doors.

Then it was the Night Owl BBS at 300 baud on my ADAM.

With RTCM we are looking at multiple level maps so it is not just go through a mountain then stairs out.

Basically a combination of Tarmin and the original Cloudy Mountain.  Adding Spells and Scrolls.

My biggest challenge at the moment is the limited memory so I am fleshing out two types of mapping systems to see which one works the best.

Also, If we are going to pound out a massive underground exploration game it will really need a save state function.

47 minutes ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Well, you are free to reimburse me the money I spent + interest and then you can do what you want with the He-Man Rom.  Otherwise I do not know what you want from me.

Do you go to Walmart and scream up and down the isles that you are not going to buy something because they won't give you free stuff?

No clue where your generation came from but you really should work on your social skills.

I also do not know which qualities you are referring to.

If I were to guess, you want me to pay 5 grand for a prototype board and illegally give you a copy of the rom just so you can play it for a few days then turn it into cartridge to sell on ebay?

Are those the qualities that support the homebrewers you are looking for?

And Black List me or my business for what.  Because I won't give you a bite of my sandwich.  I paid for it.

If you wanted the He-Man Rom then why didn't you buy it and pass it around.

Or better yet, maybe if you asked real nicely BSR Steve would have given it too you for free.

I guess you berate him for selling it instead of giving you "YOUR SHARE" that somehow you earned just by being born.

I apologize once again because I am too busy working on exclusive games never made for the Colecovision from the ground up and I do have a lot of work to do.

So good luck on your journey of hating your fellow man that refuses to give you free stuff.

What is the interest. I didn't bid because we all wanted Collectorvision to get it -- and it would be prototype + the 3 different roms.

16 hours ago, zyzzle said:

Fair enough. And I totally agree with you about "getting out of the mold" and creating some novel and unique NEW games on the Coleco, not just ports. I'll totally support you on that idea and wish you the height of success.

Contests are sometimes neat, sometimes not, and I respect that you're trying to do something a little fun and interesting. Some may be better received than others. He-Man seems to be a current point of contention with many, so like you said, perhaps it's best to defer that "contest" and focus on another one.

Your idea of RPGs and / or quests sounds fantastic; I certainly would buy and support such games, as there is a dearth of them on the platform. I think a killer D&D and / or RPG on Coleco would be fantastic!

It will all work out in the end, don't let anything get you down.

My original thought was to truly make it a sword quest challenge but if I can decrypt a rom and get some arbitrary magic phrase I think you guys can too which would have made the whole thing unfair.

This is not 1980's Atari.  You can disassemble any game these days and find hidden code.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

12 minutes ago, Swami said:

What is the interest. I didn't bid because we all wanted Collectorvision to get it.

No one told me....

I do not know anyone at Collectorvision, I have no reason to belittle anyone and are probably great guys.

Hope to merge up some business or just be buds.

That said, the highest bidder won so they must not wanted  it bad enough.

Like I mentioned earlier nothing is set in stone.

I am on a path right now but that can change at any moment which is life.

Collectorvision could ultimately end up with it or someone else.

Life does not begin or end with the He-Man rom.

Have some patience.

You waited 35 years, a couple of months more won't hurt you.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

1 minute ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

No one told me....

I do not know anyone at Collectorvision, I have no reason to belittle anyone and are probably great guys.

Hope to merge up some business or just be buds.

That said, the highest bidder won so they must not wanted  it bad enough.

Like I mentioned earlier nothing is set in stone.

I am on a path right now but that can change at any moment which is life.

Collectorvision could ultimately end up with it or someone else.

Life does not begin or end with the He-Man rom.

So you were kidding when you said you would sell it for what you paid for it with interest? Also, are you planning on any time in the next two years to release the roms in a physical cart/box format?

4 minutes ago, Swami said:

So you were kidding when you said you would sell it for what you paid for it with interest? Also, are you planning on any time in the next two years to release the roms in a physical cart/box format?

I have no plans to put this in a box or sell it in cartridge form.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy