IGNORED

C64 C video to VGA?

Finn Mac

I don't think that can be done with a simple cable.  The C64 only puts out RF, composite, or chroma-luma.  You can build an S-Video cable, and I think that there might have been a SCART cable as well, but it won't do RGB on its own.  And even if it did, it wouldn't be a signal that VGA understands.  For VGA, you'll need an adapter like a retroTINK or similar device.  It might be easier to get a DVI or HDMI adapter, as those are the current standards. Personally, I've been using an old TV with a composite input.  Most modern TV's will support RF in some fashion, and composite isn't completely dead yet.

15 minutes ago, DistantStar001 said:

I don't think that can be done with a simple cable.  The C64 only puts out RF, composite, or chroma-luma.  You can build an S-Video cable, and I think that there might have been a SCART cable as well, but it won't do RGB on its own.  And even if it did, it wouldn't be a signal that VGA understands.  For VGA, you'll need an adapter like a retroTINK or similar device.  It might be easier to get a DVI or HDMI adapter, as those are the current standards. Personally, I've been using an old TV with a composite input.  Most modern TV's will support RF in some fashion, and composite isn't completely dead yet.

Ahhh ok

cheers

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

I think there is a mod in development that will replace the VIC-II chip and be able to output VGA, though the question is how many percent compatibility it yields - 90%, 95%, 99%?

FPGA, I presume? Is there a link to the project?

Ok, it was not VGA but component video.

That designer and developer

c0pperdragon has finished work on the component video enhancement mod for the Commodore 64 computer.  This is an Altera FPGA solution utilizing c0pperdragon’s A-VideoBoard. Which they have designed to support and use with other project like the ZX (Zed Ex) Spectrum.  This mod project allows C64 users to run their computers with full YPbPr after modification.  Supporting both PAL and NTSC formats, this mod outputs its signal by listening to the digital video data straight from the VIC II (Video Interface Chip 2) and producing it via the FPGA.  The VIC II is one of the chips responsible for producing video out for the C64.

The modification requires users to lift the VIC II chip to insert an adapter that will listen to the VIC II and connect that ribbon to the A-VideoBoard FPGA.  While the FPGA board sits atop and replaces the RF modulator which was located near the rear plug interfaces. This is a no cut solution as well as the 4pin TRRS 3.5mm jack fits where the RF connector was.  The 4pin TRRS adapter can be utilized by a break out to RCA plugs for component cable fitting.  c0pperdragon does recommend that people take caution if you are to try a 4pin TRRS to 4pin TRRS setup with some monitor/displays that support it.  Make sure that the signal/ground patterns are followed.  An additional benefit of the A-VideoBoard is that it can amplify and assist the composite and s-video functionality if you still need the standard video output options.

https://www.retrorgb.com/component-video-enhancement-for-commodore-64.html

To be honest, I didn't know that the VIC-II output any digital video data, only the generated chroma + luma signals which then external circuitry amplifies and produces the final signals. But perhaps the output from the chip is enough for the FPGA to listen to in order to generate component video.

The absolute best way currently to get video out of a C64 or C128 to a modern display is to use a RetroTink and run an s-video cable (chroma/luma sent over s-video with a custom 8-pin din cable) to a RetroTink2X and then out HDMI to a modern display. When I did this the picture on the C64 looked just as crisp as it did using chroma/luma on a real C64 monitor...but to a modern flat panel 1080p display.

It will be line doubled to 480p using the RetroTink.

As for VGA, forget it. I have never found a really good way of doing that. And forget all of those cheap boxes online. The picture was always utter shit.

Either Retrotink to a modern display or use an old CRT Sony Trinitron....or of course a real Commodore monitor.

Also, please keep in mind you cannot use chroma/luma if you have a rare early five-pin DIN video out model of the C64.

The old ViewSonic N4 video scaler output a great VGA display - if you find one. They haven't been made for a while, but do show up on ebay or other sellers. Most owners will not part with their units however.

https://www.ebay.com/i/303813212366?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=303813212366&targetid=4580153133025503&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=403206328&mkgroupid=1224856168411808&rlsatarget=pla-4580153133025503&abcId=9300372&merchantid=51291&msclkid=b1aa3b2497761d162bb15b28ebc24bb7

11 hours ago, retrofez said:

Aw man thats crap! Well let me know if you get stuck but want one. I'm in UK. You could ship to me and I'll forward it on if you don't find a better option. 

Oh man thank you for the kind offer. Ended up getting one from America. About the same price I think. Thank you that was so nice though

On 1/25/2021 at 4:18 PM, Finn Mac said:

Oh man thank you for the kind offer. Ended up getting one from America. About the same price I think. Thank you that was so nice though

Did you find a ViewTronic N4? They are great, but, do NOT loose the remote! It will drive nuts without the remote.