IGNORED

80-column Applications?

Larry

Some of these software 80-column displays look pretty acceptable on my system. So not to side-track another thread here, I thought I'd start a new one about APPLICATIONS.

80-column BASIC is one, but I'm thinking of text editors or others that can work with these 80-column software displays.  There were a couple of word processors that were made or patched for the Omniview OS (OmniWriter, patched Letter Perfect, and maybe a patched version of AtariWriter).  Note this is not AtariWriter 80 which was designed for the XEP80. There was also Silent Butler 80, but again for the XEP80.

But were there any general purpose text editors? Any that don't require SDX or SpartaDos?  Did Drac030 ever do an 80-column text editor?  How about Jon -- any precursor to The Last Word?  Any other possibilities?

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

How about Text Pro (Compute!)?

TextPro was great and I used it for years (it's a derivative of 'SpeedScript'), but it writes directly to the display RAM so will not work with drivers. Mike Collins got in touch a few years ago talking about how he and Ronnie wanted to add stuff like 80 column support, but the architecture of the display code would have required a tremendous amount of redesign.

TLW is basically a superset of TextPro (which was my favourite word processor for years on end), so unless TLW's use of the shadow RAM under the OS is a deal-breaker, it makes sense. It's much faster than TextPro and has the macros, disk management menu, etc.

Edited by flashjazzcat
Flummoxed by edits there...

I used some 80-column software stuff back in the 80's and hated it, because even though I was an Amdek 300 amber screen monitor, over the composite port, they looked so bad, I couldn't tolerate it.

However, having recently gotten a 130xe with sophia installed, I tried FlickerTerm and ICET XE.   So I used for about an hour IceT xe with Dark Realms BBS in 80-column mode.

I also have, for comparison, a VBXE in a 1200XL, and use it with Last Word, mostly.  I also added 80-column vbxe text overlay to my in development game.

My conclusion is that really they are both retro looking, and none is modern.  Obviously the VBXE is better, but sophia is not bad.  Not as convenient to program, of course, that text overlay mode turns out to be a convenience.

Anyway, so - applications that include any sort of 80-column mode, I would include FlickerTerm and IceT xe.

Edit: also BobTerm was reportedly patched for XEP80.

Edit edit:

Btw, Bit-3 Full View manual lists the following software packages as compatible:

Atari Basic Cartridge
Basic A+ (OSS)
OS/A+ (OSS)
EASMD (OSS)
Microsoft Basic
Atari Pascal
Atari Assembler Editor Cartridge
Atari Macro Assembler (except MEDIT)
LJK Letter Perfect (yes, with 80 col version)
LJK Data Perfect (yes, with 80 col version)
LJK Edit 6502 (yes, with 80 col version).

As others have stated, the general rule was if software used the CIO screen editor, then it worked with the card.

Edited by Dmitry

7 hours ago, Mark2008 said:

trubterm, cp/m

page shows wordstar running via vbxe 80 column.  

http://trub.atari8.info/index.php?ref=indus_cpm_en

Awesome! I had no idea that existed. The only other 80-column VBXE terminal program that I know of is @Joey Z’s ANSIVBXE. It works, but has zero configurability and whatever Wordstar does with its menu page, ANSIVBXE can’t parse it. I’ve tried VT-100, Minimum ANSI, VT-52, many of the other listed terminals and even “Minimum,” all without fixing the issue. Hopefully TrubTerm will work better. :) 

• Like 1

While I am awaiting a non-functioning Sophia 2 to return to Simius to diagnose and a new one sent out, I have been checking out terminal programs with my Fujinet, and here is what Flickerterm looks like through my S-video to VGA converter (sorry about the glare):

20210122_075052.thumb.jpg.8fffb8a2c623147b28d93f4752174279.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 12:10 AM, Mark2008 said:

trubterm, cp/m

page shows wordstar running via vbxe 80 column.  

http://trub.atari8.info/index.php?ref=indus_cpm_en

On 1/22/2021 at 7:18 AM, DrVenkman said:

Awesome! I had no idea that existed. The only other 80-column VBXE terminal program that I know of is @Joey Z’s ANSIVBXE. It works, but has zero configurability and whatever Wordstar does with its menu page, ANSIVBXE can’t parse it. I’ve tried VT-100, Minimum ANSI, VT-52, many of the other listed terminals and even “Minimum,” all without fixing the issue. Hopefully TrubTerm will work better. :) 

Well, I got TrubTerm 0.5 working and I can see text on my screen, but I can't figure out why FujiNet doesn't respond to the ATCPM command. That terminal appears to be hard-coded to emulate the ADM-3A terminal; all my attempts to enter CP/M via the "ATCPM" command just move the cursor around without actually sending the string to FujiNet. 

I wonder if @trub or @tschak909 might have any insight.

4 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hallo guys

Where can I find the latest version of Avery's XEP80 driver?  I've found 0.6, but 0.7 seems to be the latest.

Sincerely

Mathy

I think you could pull it from Altirra... at least that's what we used to do.

5 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Am guessing TrubTerm uses the INDUS method of shifting into CP/M, which I haven't implemented.

I can see text on the screen and type though - I just can't seem to SEND anything. When un-ARC'd, there's a TT.DOC page with simple commands to turn on Local Echo, quit the program, etc. That file said CTRL+M sends a line feed, carriage return, but I don't know what FujiNet is looking for at the end of the "ATCPM" string - a linefeed? Carriage return? Both? Etc. 

FlickerTerm, ICE-T and ANSVBXE all have no trouble at least getting the FujiNet into the CP/M environment. And of the three, only ANSIVBXE seems to choke on whatever Wordstar does to produce its on-screen menus. 

Argh. VBXE really needs more love from people who know how to code (e.g., not me :( ). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

CTRL-J CTRL-M or vice versa at the end do anything?

They just move the cursor around on the screen, apparently. At least when used with FujiNet. I might try connecting my Lantronix box to see if it responds differently.