IGNORED

80-column Applications?

Larry

50 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Joey Z's ANSVBXE is here. The ZIP contains the source code.

Wow, I didn't know he had released the source,  neat.  Now, if I could only remember why I was looking for it.  

p.s. one the last comments in the thread states "Some Day (TM) I'll get around to working on it again and/or posting the source so others can work on it on their own."

But, as you note he had released source code, both at the top of the thread, which I assume is the earliest version, and a 2015 variant, which is later in the thread.

Edited by Mark2008

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

This is just a guess - but I know in order to make it work with my Indus, I first have to turn off the keyboard buffer in SDX.  Maybe give that a shot?

Already tried it. ? Yeah, basically I just can't get TrubTerm to actually say anything to the FujiNet - all I can get it to do is echo back to the screen. And Joey's ANSIVBXE works but garbles/drops certain formatting and cursor movement stuff used by WordStar, evidently. 

Hello Doctor, guys

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I think you could pull it from Altirra... at least that's what we used to do.

The version of Alterra that I have on my iMac contains version 0.5 of the XEP80 driver.  I've checker versions 3.9 and 4.0 of Alterra but can not find the XEP80 driver (I didn't install them, only checked the unzipped files.)

Sincerely

Mathy

Yup the additions disk has a more than one XEP80 utility... and the driver is there.

also in the Altirra threads you will find XEP drivers and helpers for download at various stages while it was being added and worked on. Maybe around ver 2.6 and on...

Edited by _The Doctor__

I'm just adding software as I find it - today just coincidentally running into it.

The book Atari Graphics & Arcade Game Design references a program called F-S Macro Assembler 40/80, as the name implies supported 80-columns (in software).

I don't know of any place to actually get that assembler, although apparently it would've been helpful to use in combination with the source code that was offered with the book.

• Like 1

What about being able to "boot-strap" older, 40-cols based apps into 6502-driven 80-cols. environment, running at @1.79 Mhz?

Look at Atari Accountant, with especially-wrapped XEP80 ultra-speed driver, booted from Incognito BIOS, and loading in 52K high-ram area (in Collen mode) and then re-vectoring the OS to, on the fly, boot the SIO-attached media ! ;-)

A6CDFB4B-1C38-4B96-9398-BA5E39DC4656.thumb.jpeg.4baf2ea4028a189d810c027fa0d15f50.jpeg

Runs much faster (and better) than original 40-col environment (even if still displaying 40-cols only!)

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 5

Did you refer to an Atari 800 as a 6502-driven environment running at 1.79mhz?  For that matter, is Atari Accountant expecting me to remember the # of employees as a percentage of 30?

I know it's 11, but c'mon!!!

silliness...anyway, yeah, that is a legit use for 80 columns - to run 40 column software. looks good.

12 minutes ago, Mark2008 said:

Did you refer to an Atari 800 as a 6502-driven environment running at 1.79mhz?  For that matter, is Atari Accountant expecting me to remember the # of employees as a percentage of 30?

I know it's 11, but c'mon!!!

silliness...anyway, yeah, that is a legit use for 80 columns - to run 40 column software. looks good.

What happens is that those fast XEP drivers are keeping ANTIC-DMA operations shut off, thus letting the 6502 service the E: / S: OS drivers at full tilt, INCLUDING the SW package itself... That's how everything (the true OS extensible architecture, the Basic cart, the SW package and E/S drivers) all come into play, at once.

I wonder if you can boot-strap these older apps. with similar 80-cols. solutions like VBXE, etc. I have not taken the time to test this approach with the BIT3, but I believe it is perfectly doable (the object-code routine would be exactly the same as my XEP80 wrappers, without the XEP80 driver itself, and just addressing the BIT3 enabling registers, and then re-vectoring the OS to soft-boot the session, again).  

Edited by Faicuai

1 minute ago, Faicuai said:

What happens is that those fast XEO drivers are keeping ANTIC-DMA operations shut off, thuse letting the 6502 service the E: / S: OS drivers at full tilt, INCLUDING the SW package itself... That's how everything (the true OS extensible architecture, the Basic cart, the SW package and E/S drivers) all come into play.

I wonder if you can boot-strap these older apps. with similar 80-cols. solutions like VBXE, etc. I have not taken the time to test this approach with the BIT3, but I believe it is perfectly doable (the object-code routine would be exactly the same as my XEP80 wrappers, without the XEP80 driver itself, and just addressing the BIT3 enabling registers, and then re-vectoring the OS to soft-boot the session, again).  

ah gotcha, yes, that is interesting.

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 8:29 PM, DrVenkman said:

Well, I got TrubTerm 0.5 working and I can see text on my screen, but I can't figure out why FujiNet doesn't respond to the ATCPM command. That terminal appears to be hard-coded to emulate the ADM-3A terminal; all my attempts to enter CP/M via the "ATCPM" command just move the cursor around without actually sending the string to FujiNet. 

I wonder if @trub or @tschak909 might have any insight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, trub said:

It would be nice to see this on the XEP80, because, at 9600 bauds, you will be probably netting 900+ chars/sec, and that is more than attainable with today's Ultra drivers from Avery (day in, day out, especially running the system at 1.6Mhz, effective)...

But in any case, it is GREAT to see a common framework now extended from SDX, for FujiNET (!)

I will be jumping in on HW revision 1.6

Edited by Faicuai