IGNORED

Hyperkin Trooper II works great with Stella

Mockduck

I took a look at the Hyperkin Trooper II joystick to see how it would work on PC and the new VCS (it doesn't). There is one reason to get it, and several reasons not to. While I couldn't get it working with almost everything, it worked immediately and flawlessly with Stella, so might be just the thing some are looking for for a specific use case:

https://youtu.be/RqxHDEYbNps

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Swami said:

Weird. I wonder why it would only work with Stella. Thanks for the update. Have you checked the behavior in the gamepad setup in Windows?

I did. I also used InputMapper. In both cases I was able to see the axis movement, it just never actually worked for anything other than Stella. 

If this joystick is programmed to x/y axes and the vcs emulator is programmed for pov hat input, then the vcs emulator has to be remapped for x/y axes.  This joystick should work with anything programmed for x/y axes input.

Edited by mr_me

I wanted to add some things from the weekend:

1. I went into Steam's controller mapping again to try to get it working. You can currently map the buttons fine, but the directional joystick only allowed me to map two of the four directions, dunno why it wouldn't take more than two. So, the button worked but no movement, and no UI Steam interface support. 

2. I was able to get the Trooper II working fine with my three-year-old version of MAME. Might be a good option for some of those games. 

3. Still no luck getting the AtariOS to recognize the controller. BUT: 

4. I noticed when doing my Unsung Warriors - Prologue review that the game had detected the Trooper II and I was able to use it to play. So, somewhere in there is a proper connection, it just isn't working on the AtariOS nor the Vault. I haven't done a pass through the catalog to see what it works for and what it doesn't. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, coachbrj said:

I am running Windows 10 on my new VCS and this controller works flawlessly for all the games I've tried in STELLA. I really like it.

Yes, this is proving to be great for Stella on PC. Still no luck getting much compatibility elsewhere other than spotty recognition and input function.