IGNORED

You guys can thank UniWarS for this one... (Galaxian?)

PacManPlus

Yes, that was a mistake on my part.  I've fixed a lot of things since that build.

I've shifted gears, though.  I'm currently reading through the arcade commented disassembly (and somewhat learning Z80 in the process) and translating it to the 7800 version.  So (hopefully) if things work we should have a VERY arcade accurate port.

I'll revisit the audio once I have the enemy stuff done.

@-^CrossBow^- - BTW, you were exactly correct on the reason for the 'black bars' that periodically show up on the attacking aliens.  Sprite overlap.  It's only when they are on the same zone as the 'flock', and usually when there is  more than one dive bombing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ok, doing a 180° turn here...

I've decided to go back to my source code before I started rewriting it from the arcade z80 code.  I was finding more and more subroutines that I have to convert (I just wanted the enemy movement).  I figured the chance of it running after re-vamping almost the entire program from what I *believe* the conversion from z80 would be slim to none...  and me being able to figure out what's wrong if it just crashes would also be slim to none.

I think I've read enough to know the jist of what they were doing, so I may still be ahead of the game.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, MattelAquarius said:

Just now, I thanked UniWarS for this.

Ditto!  I've always, always loved Galaxian, even more than Galaga for some reason.  And now I get to have such a terrific version on the 7800...plus the discovery (to me) of the ridiculously fun UniWarS.  Win win win win win!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MrZarniwoop said:

#wisdom

The top issue in development is that people undervalue developed, working, code because they can imagine the clean green-field answer to specific issues.

I think it's an equally common mistake for developers to cling to old code when a clean rewrite may be the best solution. It all depends on the situation. 

• Like 2

Don't let it frustrate you (too much), Bob. 

Remember, there are no deadlines and no expectations. 

If you need to take a break from this port, absolutely please do so.

Galaxians can wait -  fighter pilots needed in sector wars are always in demand to tide us over.  ;)

In between that, we can always tackle the other space invaders, while you take a mental break from the programming. :)

• Like 5

Just a couple of quick questions and comments about the last release.

I'm currently trying this in retroarch which means emu7800 only ATM.  It says pokey not detected.  Is it worth trying to enable pokey for emu7800?  From what I've been reading the techniques used for pokey sound don't sound right in emulation?

In regards to TIA sounds.  I assume the current sounds are placeholders?

As far as the games go the left/right movement of diving alians seems a little slow?

For a first round so far it looks good!

Later

Edit:  Just tried the arcade version in MAME.  The speed actually seems ok.  I think what is happening here is the arcade is taller vertically so the player has more time to move his ship into position to hit the aliens and get out of the way of the aliens shot.   With the vertical reduced this advantage is lost.

Edited by Shannon

• 2 weeks later...

Converting the Z80 to 6502 for enemy timing and attack arcs:

It slowly coming along.  Although I am having issues with slowdown now.

@Shannon - I'm not done working on the Pokey sounds. Regarding TIA, if that actually is the active sound driver you are hearing, are not place holders.  Those are the TIA sounds; I think I got pretty close with those.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Converting the Z80 to 6502 for enemy timing and attack arcs:

It slowly coming along.  Although I am having issues with slowdown now.

@Shannon - I'm not done working on the Pokey sounds. Regarding TIA, if that actually is the active sound driver you are hearing, are not place holders.  Those are the TIA sounds; I think I got pretty close with those.

Hi Bob

If this is TIS,it is damn good..  sounds like the

Arcade..  i see no need to do Pokey.

Greetings Walter

• Like 3

On 3/15/2021 at 12:11 PM, PacManPlus said:

Oh  ok thanks.  I just assumed those were the sounds from the uniwars this game came from and had not been worked on yet.

• Like 1

Hi guys:

Ok, bad news: The '2 player simultaneous' selection has to go.  I am at the max cycles, and even using a 7800heat utility (made by @RevEng) I can't seem to reduce the number of cycles needed per frame.  Something has to go, so the extra code that handles 2 player simultaneous selection is on the chopping block.

I understand that there may be some bloat due to this being my first time converting Z80 to 6502, but I cant help that.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Hi guys:

Ok, bad news: The '2 player simultaneous' selection has to go.  I am at the max cycles, and even using a 7800heat utility (made by @RevEng) I can't seem to reduce the number of cycles needed per frame.  Something has to go, so the extra code that handles 2 player simultaneous selection is on the chopping block.

I understand that there may be some bloat due to this being my first time converting Z80 to 6502, but I cant help that.

No need for apologies, Bob.  If the biggest lost here is a 2 player simultaneous mode, for what is shaping up to be a most outstanding port of Galaxian, the sacrifice is well worth the reward.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Trebor said:

No need for apologies, Bob.  If the biggest lost here is a 2 player simultaneous mode, for what is shaping up to be a most outstanding port of Galaxian, the sacrifice is well worth the reward.

This might even be the port of Galaxian.  It really is that good.

Simultaneous play would be neat, but it's not a must-have by any means.  The end result is still going to be exceptionally good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1