IGNORED

You guys can thank UniWarS for this one... (Galaxian?)

PacManPlus

On 4/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, PacManPlus said:

Two different screen modes.

Now, if Galaga was turned into 320 mode... :ponder:

I despised the 7800 Galaga conversion.

320 mode would definitely solve the washed-out Tomy Tutor looking graphics.

If only there was somebody who had a knack for disassembling arcade z80 code and converting it to 6502.

That would replace the horrible gameplay -- floaty controls and choppy/inaccurate alien patterns. Imagine actual arcade formations. Wow!

:)

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Talent? Bob has already done exactly that with Galaxian!  ;)

Exactly. I meant that as a compliment to Bob, while still keeping with the "what if" theme. :)

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

I think that was the point … ? 

Yes.

I will add, I only felt comfortable making that statement, because it seemed Bob brought it up. There's no disappointment if he really doesn't feel like doing that.

• Like 2

I dunno, I thought Galaga was pretty good for the time. Sure the NES version was closer to arcade, but I never saw it until the mid 2000's when I actually got a NES. I got my 7800 in the late 90's and I thought it was great and played the hell out of it. Nothing beats Bob's Galaxian port though. Amazing. Simply amazing. It is the sound effects that do it for me on this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

What an amazing version again.  The colours, explosions etc.  Just brilliant.  Thank you so much Bob for all your hard work.

As soon as I started to play it, I was imagining what a brilliant version of Galaga could be done for the 7800.  Please make it happen!  :)

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Made one final change to Galaxian last night while I was thinking about it.  (The game is quite difficult)

The "B" difficulty switch setting has "fast player shots" enabled, whereas the "A" difficulty setting has the normal speed shots.  These are separate settings for each player for the corresponding difficulty switch.

Hope this helps with some scores ;)

Galaxian.A78 Galaxian.BIN

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Made one final change to Galaxian last night while I was thinking about it.  (The game is quite difficult)

The "B" difficulty switch setting has "fast player shots" enabled, whereas the "A" difficulty setting has the normal speed shots.  These are separate settings for each player for the corresponding difficulty switch.

Hope this helps with some scores ;)

Galaxian.A78 32.13 kB · 6 downloads Galaxian.BIN 32 kB · 4 downloads

Thank you.  Looking forward to that UniWarS/Galaxian Double-Ender cart.?

• Like 1

So you're sticking with that harsh buzzsaw sound for the player shot? All the other sound effects are so spot-on, the current shot sound comes across as really out of place. Surely TIA can manage a softer white noise distortion that, even if not very close to the arcade, would at least be more pleasant to listen to.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ZylonBane said:

So you're sticking with that harsh buzzsaw sound for the player shot? All the other sound effects are so spot-on, the current shot sound comes across as really out of place. Surely TIA can manage a softer white noise distortion that, even if not very close to the arcade, would at least be more pleasant to listen to.

You're right.  Let me see what else I can come up with.  I remember you helping me with the Space Invaders kill enemy sound... :D

Edited by PacManPlus

@ZylonBane Ok, how's this for the shot sound?  A little less grating on the ears, but the TIA doesn't seem to have that higher-pitched white noise sound like Galaxian has.

I wonder why I always seem to have issues with shot sounds. :ponder:

@Albert If people like this sound, *this* is the final version (not the one I sent you earlier) :(

Galaxian.A78 Galaxian.BIN

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

@ZylonBane Ok, how's this for the shot sound?  A little less grating on the ears, but the TIA doesn't seem to have that higher-pitched white noise sound like Galaxian has.

I wonder why I always seem to have issues with shot sounds. :ponder:

@Albert If people like this sound, *this* is the final version (not the one I sent you earlier) :(

This shot sound is definitely a lot better, great job Bob! Thumbs up from me. ?

- James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1