IGNORED

You guys can thank UniWarS for this one... (Galaxian?)

PacManPlus

8 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Thanks Guys!

@Synthpopalooza - I'd really like to keep this "one or the other", as my attempts to write an audio driver that uses both Pokey and TIA have not resulted in success (too many cycles).

So two things:

- I'm guessing nobody minds the change from 24 rotational positions to 16?

- Nobody is getting the 'no new level' bug any more?

It would be nice if this had TIA sound as that would make cartridges much more plentiful and cost effective. You add a POKEY and (as you know) the price goes way up and ease of distribution to the masses to play on actual 7800 machines goes way down. Perhaps a TIA version and then a POKEY version so folks could pick their pleasure? Just a thought.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 4

A ROM sale could also be an option, locked to a SD cart feature, that can be detected and utitilized.  If the resource is not available to use, the ROM is useless, unless someone spends a bunch of time, trying to refactor critical elements of the code and replace them.

It would also be pretty easy to make a tool, that runs code injection on a final ROM and makes them all unique, with unique signatures.

I think some of the Jaguar dudes are doing something similar.

• Like 5

We could always have both sets of sounds.  Which one gets used depends on if POKEY is detected by hardware.

OK, I have a question ... it's in regards to that background hum.  The arcade version does it on two channels, in a loop.

For our purposes, we have two options:

1.  Only use second channel for the loop (with a -1 in the frequency data) and 4th channel for player shots and player's ship exploding.  first and third channels @1.79 mhz are for alien swoops and alien deaths

2.  Use second and fourth channels for the loop, and player explosions in the 4th channel will take precedence in that channel.  Have the program restart the loop when finished rather than use -1 frequency, so that it will reset itself when there's no sounds in that channel.

I'd like to use option 2.  Would that be a possibility?  If not, I will work up the first scenario.

Alien death #1

This one uses $Cx non mod 3 on the third channel @1.79 mhz.  It fits perfectly into that range and sounds just  like the arcade!

As before:  Prosystem, or real hardware.  A7800 won't play it right.

The Boss galaxian alien death is going to have to be transposed up about three semitones to fit in.  The low note is at G4 but frequency 255 at $Cx 1.79 is A#4

galaxian-aliendeath1.A78 galaxian-aliendeath1.asm galaxian-aliendeath1.bin

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

As before:  Prosystem...

ProSystem should really be retired from usage.   Outside of its POKEY chip support for some obscure and undocumented sound usage, its actual console emulation is very outdated with many inaccuracies and hacks.  Besides, those still clamoring for ProSystem's interface, BupSystem plays the file fine.  ;)

JS7800 inherited all the same POKEY support from the ProSystem emulator and can be heard clicking here; it is actively supported and contains much better console emulation than the latter.   Additionally, it is OS independent.  MAC and Linux user can easily utilize it as well. :)

25 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

...or real hardware.

I was going to provide real hardware sample.  POKEY $4000 only; I've got silence with the MCP DevCart. :( :P

• Like 3

Hi guys!

Whoa - Synthpopalooza, you've been busy!

12 hours ago, Shawn said:

It would be nice if this had TIA sound as that would make cartridges much more plentiful and cost effective. You add a POKEY and (as you know) the price goes way up and ease of distribution to the masses to play on actual 7800 machines goes way down. Perhaps a TIA version and then a POKEY version so folks could pick their pleasure? Just a thought.

My plan is to utilize TIA if no pokey, or Pokey if it is there at $4000 (the standard).  I have enough room for it, I just *hate* doing sounds.  

10 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

A ROM sale could also be an option, locked to a SD cart feature, that can be detected and utilized.  If the resource is not available to use, the ROM is useless, unless someone spends a bunch of time, trying to refactor critical elements of the code and replace them.

It would also be pretty easy to make a tool, that runs code injection on a final ROM and makes them all unique, with unique signatures.

That's sounds really cool ... I actually started to do something similar (but a lot less involved) on the Pac-Man 40th Anniversary - if you look in the binary toward the end, I have a message there and a space for a Serial #... :ponder:  EDIT - it's actually at $1BF80

2 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

We could always have both sets of sounds.  Which one gets used depends on if POKEY is detected by hardware.

OK, I have a question ... it's in regards to that background hum.  The arcade version does it on two channels, in a loop.

For our purposes, we have two options:

1.  Only use second channel for the loop (with a -1 in the frequency data) and 4th channel for player shots and player's ship exploding.  first and third channels @1.79 mhz are for alien swoops and alien deaths

2.  Use second and fourth channels for the loop, and player explosions in the 4th channel will take precedence in that channel.  Have the program restart the loop when finished rather than use -1 frequency, so that it will reset itself when there's no sounds in that channel.

I'd like to use option 2.  Would that be a possibility?  If not, I will work up the first scenario.

#2 sounds fine :)  - Thank you!!!!!!

*EDIT - BTW, I actually like the *first* boss alien death better than the second.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

A ROM sale could also be an option, locked to a SD cart feature, that can be detected and utitilized.  If the resource is not available to use, the ROM is useless, unless someone spends a bunch of time, trying to refactor critical elements of the code and replace them.

Yes.....a rom sale would be ok too.....lots of programmers

use this option ?

• Like 3

Background hum.

Discovery:  I can use the standard 64khz clock for this.  So from here on out, all game sounds except start jingle and coin insert, use AUDCTL=$60 (not $61)

Background hum plays on the second and 4th channels.  4th channel will have ship firing and explosions, and will cut out the last channel.

This uses a standard $Ax wave at normal settings.

Question:  How many times does this hum speed up?  I will code up one for each speed.

Edit:  I counted about 6 different speeds for this ...

galaxian-hum1a.asm galaxian-hum1a.bin galaxian-hum1a-450.A78 galaxian-hum1a-450.asm galaxian-hum1a-450.bin galaxian-hum1a.A78

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 3

Player shot.

Plays on third and fourth channels.  This will override part of the hum sound.  Also plays on the same channel as alien deaths

Emulation issues:  Neither A7800 or Prosystem will play this properly.  Real HW test is needed. :)

galaxian-shot.A78 galaxian-shot.asm galaxian-shot.bin galaxian-shot-450.A78 galaxian-shot-450.asm galaxian-shot-450.bin

• Like 3

Ship explosion.  Play this on last channel.

Again:  Neither ProSystem or A7800 will play this properly.  It uses $0x distortion.  Real HW please

galaxian-explosion.A78 galaxian-explosion.asm galaxian-explosion.bin galaxian-explosion-450.A78 galaxian-explosion-450.asm galaxian-explosion-450.bin

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 3

On 1/16/2021 at 3:40 PM, PacManPlus said:

Hi Guys.

So, after UniWarS was done, I found that if I ripped out waves 1, 2, and 3 (and left 0), and did some graphics manipulation (and some code modifications), we basically have...

GALAXIAN

Galaxian_01.png.29e1434c7a8e723d4b547dd78732c4de.png

I just saw this. Great work!

Where was this starfield when they were plotting huge periods all over the 7800 Galaga field? LOL!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1