IGNORED

1040STe Floppy issue

JGRAHAM2

I just got a 1040STe in great condition, but it will not access the floppy or boot from an Ultrasatan (or my MegaFile30 for that matter.) It sounds like it is reading the disk when it boots up, but comes up with the error in the attached picture when it is accessed. (“Your output device is not receiving data.”) I’ve heard a bad DMA can cause this and there are other remedies for general issues in some of the forums I’ve read. I brought this up on Facebook as well. Has anyone seen this exact behavior or have any ideas? I have a couple DMA chips from old 520ST boards that are socketed, so I could just try that, but as you know, removing one from an STe can be risky.

C574205B-5808-47A8-96D3-C40E3760A4F4.jpeg

Edited by JGRAHAM2

It may be DMA chip, but may be floppy drive too. So, for start disconnect floppy drive and try so.

Removing DMA is not big deal - but you need desoldering vacuum pump and good soldering iron. Of course, not putting there other DMA chip, but solder socket for first.

And there are smaller chances that it is something other, not DMA chip.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

It may be DMA chip, but may be floppy drive too. So, for start disconnect floppy drive and try so.

Removing DMA is not big deal - but you need desoldering vacuum pump and good soldering iron. Of course, not putting there other DMA chip, but solder socket for first.

And there are smaller chances that it is something other, not DMA chip.

Thanks, I do have a desoldering station and am practicing on an old board. I’ll probably do this soon. I’ve tried a couple working drives with no luck.