IGNORED

Compatible Peripherals and controllers for VCS

justclaws

There have been a lot of peripherals, controllers, already listed as working with the VCS.
To update...

From the FAQ, the intention is universal compatibility with:

• Bluetooth and USB game controllers
  • Mouse and Keyboard
  • External Storage
  • Webcams
  • Microphones
  • External Speakers
  • Headphones

For these, USB is generally universal, and Bluetooth will be less universal.

I wanted to see if I could bring a list together, which can be added to the FAQ later.
I only meant to add USB or Bluetooth peripherals and controllers.

Official Peripherals
Atari Modern controller - also compatible with Xbox (dual mode, switch with back and menu)
Atari Classic joystick - also compatible with PC (dual mode, switch with back and menu)

Internal Expansions (not really a peripheral, but for reference)
M.2 SATA - (uninstalled, unlimited capacity)
Up to 32GB DDR4 260pin RAM (2 slots, 8GB installed by default)
PCIe WIFI card (installed - Realtek 8822CE PCI-E NIC)

3rd-Party (Modern) Controllers
Microsoft Xbox One controllers - compatible (bluetooth and wired)
Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers - compatible (bluetooth and wired)
Microsoft Xbox (classic) controllers - compatible, via adapter (bluetooth and wired)
Sony Dual Shock 3 - compatible, via USB
Sony Dual Shock 4 - compatible, via USB (and supports audio pass-through to headphones)
Sony Dual Shock 5 - for PS5 
Nintendo Wii-U Pro-controller - compatible (bluetooth - A/B, X/Y, swapped, layout different, gameplay unchanged)

3rd-Party (Retro) Controllers
SNES style - compatible, via USB with VCS menus, and (some) games (details to follow)
USB arcade style joystick (6 button, Saturn style) - compatible in most games (directions, A, B, C, at least)
9-pin Atari controller to USB adapters - compatible in most games (directions, A, at least)

To confirm... please?
Whatever you have, not listed...

Incompatible
Hyperkin Tropper II - not compatible (so far, according to Mockduck review)
X3 PS2 style wireless controller - not compatible (PC-mode as cursors/mouse, IOS mode, Android mode)
Nintendo Wiimote - bluetooth - syncs, but motions map to up/down/left/right, so too difficult to use

Normal PC compatible devices
Logitech wireless keyboards, mice, via wireless dongle - e.g. Logitech K400
Rapoo wireless keyboards, mice, via wireless dongle - e.g. 
Most 3rd-party wireless keyboards, mice, via wireless dongle
USB mice (if PC compatible, also VCS compatible)
USB trackballs (if PC compatible, as VCS compatible, act as normal USB mice)
USB keyboards (if PC compatible, also VCS compatible - only USA layout so far)
Bluetooth keyboards (not at present, to confirm)

Audio Devices
USB headphones/speakers - yes
Bluetooth headphones/speakers - not at present (to confirm)

Atari Speaker Hat (bluetooth)

USB Storage Devices
- USB thumb drives/memory sticks (or what you call them) - yes
- USB disk drives (up to USB 3.1, supported) 
- FAT, FAT32 and Ext4 file systems automatically mounted (NTFS not mounted)
- DVD drive (one listed in this thread, and any should work)
- 3.5" floppy disk drive! (Physical media, anybody, ha ha)

PC-Specific Accessories 
USB to VGA adapter for 2nd screen - some compatible in Windows 10
USB network devices, for 2nd Ethernet - in Ubuntu or Windows, as on any PC

Edited by justclaws
Added more items, validated.
  • Like 3

I can confirm that both the Dualshock 3 and 4 work well with the VCS when connected over USB. The new Dualsense (for PS5) does not currently function with the VCS. I did run into a couple of individual game compatibility issues with the Dualshock 4, but I also found the DS4 to have a few nice bits, including pass-through for audio with the 3.5mm connection and the ability to use the touch pad for a mouse. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Although the VCS has a joystick test application to download, it does not show
how controllers react in Chrome, and for Stadia and others that also matters.
I found this nice page (for Chrome) which shows the controller performance.
It's useful for testing, and also interesting to see how Chrome reads it also.
https://gamepad-tester.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Is there anyway I can connect a paddle controller from the original Atari 2600 using an adapter? The VCS classic controller is awful as a panel controller. If not that is a solution can I hook up a USB track ball and the USB spinner controller that will work with the VCS so I can properly play paddle games, tempest, missile command?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I use a Sony Dual Shock 4 with my VCS, all sound is routed through to the 3.5m on the DS4 even though no headphones are plugged in.

This happens with multiple DS4s, but does not happen with the Xbox One controller.

Is there a way to stop this so I can still hear sound through the TV

On 7/17/2021 at 7:30 PM, DocPaul said:

When I use a Sony Dual Shock 4 with my VCS, all sound is routed through to the 3.5m on the DS4 even though no headphones are plugged in.

This happens with multiple DS4s, but does not happen with the Xbox One controller.

I have heard this concern before but I don't recall ever reading about a solution to it.  

Just got my VCS, opted for the one without the controllers since I have so many.

But how do you actually use a third party controller with it?   I tried a DS4 and a generic PC/Xbox one.   While the VCS detected both when plugged into USB, how do you push the "Atari button" to get past the first screen?   I thought maybe the Playstation button would have the same function, but no luck.   None of the other buttons did either.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:30 PM, DocPaul said:

I have not been able to find a way to do it, and yes, this is a universal issue with the Dualshock 4. You could theoretically do a bluetooth dongle to stereo thing, but ultimately there needs to be a setting to "send audio through HDMI" or "send audio through USB" toggle in the AtariOS settings. 

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Just got my VCS, opted for the one without the controllers since I have so many.

But how do you actually use a third party controller with it?   I tried a DS4 and a generic PC/Xbox one.   While the VCS detected both when plugged into USB, how do you push the "Atari button" to get past the first screen?   I thought maybe the Playstation button would have the same function, but no luck.   None of the other buttons did either.

Hmm, you - should - just be able to press X to start entering your pin, then use the Options button as the hamburger menu button. 

Just now, Mockduck said:

Hmm, you - should - just be able to press X to start entering your pin, then use the Options button as the hamburger menu button. 

The X on the DS4 you mean?    X tends to be a different button on different controllers :)

4 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Yes, "cross" I guess is the technically correct term for the button. :)

Some progress but it's not ideal.   I found I can use a keyboard to get in and update the system.

Also if I press escape on the keyboard to simulate the Atari button, then press X on the DS4, the DS4 will work, but still can't press the equivalent of the Atari button.   It's something, I guess.  

No luck with the other controller yet.   The VCS will detect it in both USB and BT, but it doesn't do anything once connected.

• 3 weeks later...

I know you listed them as compatible, but I just bought this keyboard and mouse setup:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1507973-REG/logitech_920_009437_mk470_slim_wireless_keyboard.html

It has a dongle, so the VCS treats it like a wired keyboard and mouse combo. I sometimes have issues connecting to Bluetooth with my other keyboard/mouse, so this totally fixes it.

I am about to copy my Windows 10 install to the internal m.2 drive, so I need the escape key to work to choose my boot drive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Do you guys think this is would be a good, fast external drive for Windows? 

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/sandisk-extreme-usb-3-2-ssd#SDSSDE61-1T00-G25

I've read that USB 3.2 is backwards compatible with USB 3.1, so there shouldn't be any issues there, right? After installing Windows 10 on my internal m.2, I'm in agreement with Justclaws that the plugging up an external drive with the OS the way Atari intended is the way to go.

If not, hopefully you guys can recommend something.

7 hours ago, Allpaul said:

Do you guys think this is would be a good, fast external drive for Windows? 

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/sandisk-extreme-usb-3-2-ssd#SDSSDE61-1T00-G25

I do think it's a good technical match, and I like it's even got a red highlight which matches the colour scheme!

• Like 1

Is anyone currently using a good, reliable USB hub with their VCS? It would be nice to free up some USB ports for other stuff than charging the controllers and whatnot. I've had mixed results  on other computers using them, both bus powered and ones with a power supply.

For what it is worth, I am using the following drive for Windows with PC Mode on my VCS:

Pioneer 3D NAND External SSD (480 GB)-Portable Solid State Drive USB 3.1 Gen 1 (APS-XS03-480) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PZK47BG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QK4HAG5YPAAY4GQZEVDJ

I have not had any issues.

And I have been using a cheap Anker 4-port hub with no problems at all on the VCS for the drive and keyboard.

• Like 3