IGNORED

MacOS on the Atari VCS

Charles Darwin

Just a proof of concept...a bit slow...and without audio (needs a seperate fix...havent done it yet). Source: https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox

Virtualization has to be activated in the BIOS of the VCS.

The Atari team should really activate AMD SVM (BIOS setting) in the next update!!! ?

EDIT: I just have 8Gbyte in my VCS. MacOS needs at least 4Gb, video takes another 2Gb...and Linux Mint needs RAM too. So I might buy some RAM ;-)

MacOS Catalina on the Atari VCS.mkv

Edited by Charles Darwin
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Charles Darwin said:

Virtualization has to be activated in the BIOS of the VCS.

The Atari team should really activate AMD SVM (BIOS setting) in the next update!!! ?

I also wish they allow UEFI Safe Boot to be disabled (like on PC's) so other distros besides Ubuntu can run on the VCS.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Charles Darwin said:

EDIT: I just have 8Gbyte in my VCS. MacOS needs at least 4Gb, video takes another 2Gb...and Linux Mint needs RAM too. So I might buy some RAM ;-)

Yes, you should definitely do that ???.

I bought my Memory Modules here: ->  Crucial RAM CT16G4SFRA266 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL19

Two of them (to buy two single modules) was the cheapest way, to get finally 32GB (I´ve paid 51,90€ each module, now it´s a bit more expensive)

Cheers,

andY

• Like 2

The installation needs some manual fixes. When you run the script (spaghetti), the VM starts but never boots to the GUI. So you have to keep the terminal window open (it says press enter, once the language options appear), open another terminal window. Close the VM manually. Now you have to apply some special settings, I found here https://gist.github.com/movibe/b9707f1b4b2674e1c5749fdc4b1f94b6

The most important one is the line with the cpu-profile. You have to replace the "mac" with the name of your VM, in my case it was "macOS".

Once you are done with the vboxmanage stuff, start the VM again from the Virtualbox start screen. Now it will boot and show you the GUI with the language settings and you can press enter in the first terminal window (installation script).

In the description of myspaghetti it says that one can update to MacOS BigSur, but it wont boot. I tried that. It actually boots and it works pretty well on the VCS, yet every time you shut it down and reboot, it says it recovered from a problem.

Here's another screenshot...

It's just fun...MacOS is supposed to run on Mac hardware only...now it runs even on an Atari! These guys did a great job!!! ?

Big-Sur.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Allpaul said:

So, this is a legit copy of MacOS, and not a Hackintosh version?

Any installation of MacOS running on non-Apple hardware is technically a hackintosh.

The method used above evidently downloads and installs Big Sur by using unmodified installer files.  From the github repository:

macos-guest-virtualbox.sh is a Bash script that creates a macOS virtual machine guest on VirtualBox with unmodified macOS installation files downloaded directly from Apple servers.

You may want to check the description of what it does here.  I haven't looked into what the script itself is doing, but it seems as though it could conceivably be used for any Virtualbox environment as long as the host hardware is x64.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leech said:

Curious, why did you use virtualbox vs qemu / kvm?

Also, max the ram out on that for VMs! 

https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM

I've tried to make the qemu/kvm thing work for years.   I always ended up with horribly distorted sound on the guest OS.   One day I tried virtualbox, and everything just worked.  Never looked back.   Maybe kvm has improved since then,  idk.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I've tried to make the qemu/kvm thing work for years.   I always ended up with horribly distorted sound on the guest OS.   One day I tried virtualbox, and everything just worked.  Never looked back.   Maybe kvm has improved since then,  idk.  

Weird, I have used qemu/kvm for more than a decade at this point and haven't ever had sound distortion.  Then again only recently tried macOS in a VM, and generally have used other Linux distributions within it instead of using Windows, though now I do have a Windows VM on my laptop and mostly only use it for ciderpress to create Apple II hard drive images :P  All my other kvm use is Linux servers and don't really need sound at all.

Virtual box for desktop systems have always given me terrible performance.

5 minutes ago, leech said:

Weird, I have used qemu/kvm for more than a decade at this point and haven't ever had sound distortion.  Then again only recently tried macOS in a VM, and generally have used other Linux distributions within it instead of using Windows, though now I do have a Windows VM on my laptop and mostly only use it for ciderpress to create Apple II hard drive images :P  All my other kvm use is Linux servers and don't really need sound at all.

Virtual box for desktop systems have always given me terrible performance.

Most often I tried to get Windows XP running in KVM and that had the sound distortion.  Might be more an XP issue than KVM.

I assumed Virtualbox would perform worse, but it runs XP beautifully.    I only need XP to access a few old Windows apps from time to time.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, zzip said:

Most often I tried to get Windows XP running in KVM and that had the sound distortion.  Might be more an XP issue than KVM.

I assumed Virtualbox would perform worse, but it runs XP beautifully.    I only need XP to access a few old Windows apps from time to time.

Ah yeah, my biggest issue with Virtualbox is that it only really supports 128mb of video ram.  Which causes some weirdly random issues and running Linux within it is slow because of it.  Using KVM with virtio is nice and fast.

I should try macOS on the VCS with both and see which perform better.

3 hours ago, leech said:

Ah yeah, my biggest issue with Virtualbox is that it only really supports 128mb of video ram.

Check this post - it's older, but I've used it in the past to pass the 128MB limit.

Not sure if it still applies or not (most of my Linux virtualisation doesn't require graphics support, so I'll typically run 64MB of VRAM for those VMs), but I want to say that the basic concept is still relevant.

3 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Check this post - it's older, but I've used it in the past to pass the 128MB limit.

Not sure if it still applies or not (most of my Linux virtualisation doesn't require graphics support, so I'll typically run 64MB of VRAM for those VMs), but I want to say that the basic concept is still relevant.

Most of my virtualization doesn't use graphics either, but when I want it, I just use gnome-boxes, easiest thing in the world to do, don't need to install Virtualbox at all as it's included with most gnome based linux distributions, even if it isn't included it's a simple command to install.  vbox generally requires a dkms driver package install, the f'ugly UI and also needing to install guest agents for correct performance.  I don't need any of that for a fast gui based VM :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2021 at 2:56 PM, Charles Darwin said:

In addition to the video file...here comes the screenshot

MacOS.png

CD, may I ask what Terminal CPU settings and Catalina version did you use with your Virtualbox? As I couldn't get mine to boot...it stops at Log BS:EXIT every time even though I've enabled pretty much everything I could think of. (I'm running Windows 10).

22 minutes ago, Middleman said:

CD, may I ask what Terminal CPU settings and Catalina version did you use with your Virtualbox? As I couldn't get mine to boot...it stops at Log BS:EXIT every time even though I've enabled pretty much everything I could think of. (I'm running Windows 10).

I used these settings...you have to change the relevant lines to vboxmanage.exe though. This is mostly Linux ?    https://gist.github.com/movibe/b9707f1b4b2674e1c5749fdc4b1f94b6

Edited by Charles Darwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...