IGNORED

Atari 64K Memory Card (Atari 64KMR) for 1090 xl expansion system

atari-passion

Hello,

looking for a good quality, double-sided photo of the atari 64k memory card (atari 64kmr) for the 1090 xl expansion system.

It would help me for to be able to redo this board.

or better someone here maybe has the "gerber" file to recreate the PCB ?

I have an atari 1090xl expansion system, but I have no cards to put in it ?

Thanks!!

64k_memory_card-front.png

Edited by atari-passion
  • Like 1

@Mathy According to atarimuseum.org up to 3 1090 style 64K boards could be switched to "1064 mode" where it would replace the system RAM, or "banked" to add 192K to the base 64K -- Incompatible with PortB, but uses the same address space (16384-32767) banking 4 banks by poking 53758 (D1FE) with 0-3 for the first card, 16-19 for the 2nd card - manual doesn't say anything about a 3rd though.

@atari-passion This page has links to schematic and manual for the board:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XL/xlperipherals/1090/64K Board/index.htm

I thought that was only a limitation for the 600XL, and if you upgraded the 600XL internally that the limitation was lifted. Perhaps the cards should follow the pbi/eci add on memory methods of the 320 etc for XE and more add on boards sold from folks here on AA

Edited by _The Doctor__

Curt V had some insights into this and some different documents as well as differing 1090's card and cable... since his passing I am not sure where the 1090 improvement and resurrection project stands. No one has contacted me. I'd see if there were a way to contact those handling the affairs and estate to see if you could join up with anyone else involved with the project so it could continue on and make him proud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Curt V had some insights into this and some different documents as well as differing 1090's card and cable... since his passing I am not sure where the 1090 improvement and resurrection project stands. No one has contacted me. I'd see if there were a way to contact those handling the affairs and estate to see if you could join up with anyone else involved with the project so it could continue on and make him proud.

This is a very sound idea. I would be very happy to help out with the Atari Corp.: Business is War book for instance.

Re: Recreating the 1090.

While it's not a 100% faithful reproduction (on purpose), Dropcheck has already accomplished quite a bit for the 1090 itself:

1090XLR Project Page

However, I'm not sure she was able to work on some of the cards yet.

At the end of the day, it's all very tempting even if I believe that, had Atari Consumer stayed with Warner in 1984 and not sold to Tramiel, the 1090 technology would have incrementally been included in further models of the XL line.

This would have taken place in a similar vein to how Apple would trickled down the technological advancements (over time) from the Powerbook line to the iBook like back in the Power PC days.

Edited by abbotkinneydude
grammar

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I thought that was only a limitation for the 600XL, and if you upgraded the 600XL internally that the limitation was lifted. Perhaps the cards should follow the pbi/eci add on memory methods of the 320 etc for XE and more add on boards sold from folks here on AA

There is a 2-position jumper for Bank Select Mode marked Card 1/Card 2, it would appear 2 is the maximum without modification.

There is a table near the end of the manual which lists the possible RAM combinations for the different models, maximum shown for all is 192kB.

Atari would likely have had more/larger RAM cards if the 1090 hadn't been cancelled.

• Like 1

Remember here that the 1064 replaces all the internal Ram with it's own and it would be the case here also for a 600XL.

No doubt the jumper would be to select 1064 or banked mode - if you put the first card in banked mode in a 600XL then you'd likely get 16K base RAM only, with the extra Ram appearing if selected through the banking register for 32K contiguous.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, Nezgar said:

@Mathy According to atarimuseum.org up to 3 1090 style 64K boards could be switched to "1064 mode" where it would replace the system RAM, or "banked" to add 192K to the base 64K -- Incompatible with PortB, but uses the same address space (16384-32767) banking 4 banks by poking 53758 (D1FE) with 0-3 for the first card, 16-19 for the 2nd card - manual doesn't say anything about a 3rd though.

@atari-passion This page has links to schematic and manual for the board:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XL/xlperipherals/1090/64K Board/index.htm

@Nezgar

I think that is close but not stated quite correctly...

Although all three 1066 RAM cards could be set to "1064 MODE" the manual says not to do that; they would all be set to the base 64K memory address.

The first card set to "1064 MODE" replaces the 600XL built in memory or upgrade, the other two cards are to be set to "BANK MODE" for an additional 124K; creating a total of 192K available memory. As you stated the banked cards could be accessed by poking 53758 (D1FE) with 0-3 for the first card, 16-19 for the 2nd card; there is no third set of numbers to poke for the third card because it isn't in "BANK" switching mode, but "1064 MODE". The second Bank Select RAM Card must be set to the Card 2 position by moving the jumper (between U16 & U17) on the 3rd RAM card to the "CARD 2" position. It would be a good idea to check the first Bank Select RAM Card to make sure its jumper is set to "CARD 1". Nothing attaches to the header.

Does anyone have any for sale? PM me. It'd be nice to get the 80-column card too.

@atari-passion Does yours have a lid?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, atari-passion said:

no, unfortunately I don't have it

Is it known how many with a full case are known to exist? I know of somebody that has a complete version, and wants €5000,= for it ;) Have also seen one without the lid.

Edited by ivop

On 1/20/2021 at 1:09 AM, Defender II said:

the other two cards are to be set to "BANK MODE" for an additional 124K; creating a total of 192K available memory. As you stated the banked cards could be accessed by poking 53758 (D1FE) with 0-3 for the first card, 16-19 for the 2nd card;

I do not understand how this is supposed to work: one card has 64k RAM in 4 banks, 16k each. Two bits in $D1FE select a bank: a value of %00 selects bank 0, %01 selects bank 1, %10 selects bank 2 and %11 selects bank 3. But this added to the base 64k gives 112k, not 128, because the banking register does not seem to have a value which unselects all ext banks supplied by the card. This only gets worse when two cards are present, because 2x16k becomes unaccessible then (64+64+64=160). What I am missing here?

EDIT: ok, nevermind, I am blind :) Poking $80 to $D1FE is supposed to deselect all the banks.

Edited by drac030

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:03 AM, Rybags said:

Remember here that the 1064 replaces all the internal Ram with it's own and it would be the case here also for a 600XL.

NO it does not. In the 600XL, the 1st 16k is ALWAYS the builtin in ram. The other 48K minus the H/W chip area and any enabled roms is on the 1064 or the 1066 in the 1090.

James

2 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

NO it does not. In the 600XL, the 1st 16k is ALWAYS the builtin in ram. The other 48K minus the H/W chip area and any enabled roms is on the 1064 or the 1066 in the 1090.

James

Well, the draft manual for the card itself seems to agree with Rybags. 

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XL/xlperipherals/1090/64K Board/1090_64K_ram_card_owners_guide.pdf

EDIT: Well, perhaps you’re both right. See page 18 of the above doc. In 1064 Mode, the system has a total of 64K continuous RAM and the card replaces the internal memory. In bank-switch mode, the system has 16K base memory plus 4 x 16K banks of memory for a total of 80K.

5 hours ago, kheller2 said:

There is another thread on here about the 1064  

Internal 16K plus the external 48k.   Although one now wonders if you can modify the design to replace internal RAM.

It probably doesn't have any extra address decoding logic for other address ranges on the 1064, so very likely, if it works at all on the 800XL, would be the same as it would for the 600xl. 

So you'd have the 800XL's RAM and the 1064's RAM responding to the same memory addresses.  You'd be reading and writing to both at once.  Instead of having more usable RAM, you'd have two identical copies of the same RAM address range.

Edit:  I wrote the above and then spotted Gunstar's post in the other thread from 2005 that said the same thing...  

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

Thanks to kenames99 for the gerber file , I was able to recreate an Atari 1066 card.
I have 4 pcb left to do more.
If I have time, I will test the 1066 card next week in my 1090.
I paid 68 dollars for 5 cards with gold finish to jlcpcb ( fast shipping included.)

Look at the pictures below

1.thumb.JPG.9fb9a61df1a7000701ff98d341ba6c1a.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.49df60a2dc85d67446c06540d4fe0484.JPG

Edited by atari-passion
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1