IGNORED

Atari 64K Memory Card (Atari 64KMR) for 1090 xl expansion system

atari-passion

hi,

I am glad you found my git page. I was going to ask you to have a look until I saw your latest post.

very nice looking boards. I have just ordered  some myself last Thursday and waiting for them to come in. Along with the 1090xl MB as well. cant wait to get these tested. I really do hope they work. the boards were done as close as I could get them as I have no original 1090 hardware here. I would really like to know your results.

thanks!

Ken

26 minutes ago, kenames99 said:

hi,

I am glad you found my git page. I was going to ask you to have a look until I saw your latest post.

very nice looking boards. I have just ordered  some myself last Thursday and waiting for them to come in. Along with the 1090xl MB as well. cant wait to get these tested. I really do hope they work. the boards were done as close as I could get them as I have no original 1090 hardware here. I would really like to know your results.

thanks!

Ken

Hello,

Some silkscreened details are missing on the PCB, for the switch and for the card selector as well as for the card edge connector.
Attention on your diagram you put that c1 a value of 0.1uF while atari indicates a value of 0.22 uF
Also for the resistors a slightly larger spacing would have been desirable.

Arnaud

Wow. Maybe get one or more for my 1090xl. It has no cards at all. All metal back plains are in tho only 1 can have a card mounted. Are you going to look into the metal part one day?

What about the 50? pin header? It is for the Z80 card. Wounder if Atari did CP/M Bios for it?

James

47 minutes ago, sup8pdct said:

All metal back plains are in tho only 1 can have a card mounted.

[Wow, (possibly) a second chance to be pedantic in one night!]

<little mr. pedant>

Are you confusing backplane with card cage? The backplane is the board that receives the edge connectors on the cards. The card cage is the metal (in this case) frame that the cards are mounted to, and that holds them in place from moving.

</little mr. pedant>

Edited by MrFish
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sup8pdct said:

Alright, Card cage then.......

Alright, no real problem. I just wasn't quite sure what you meant... and don't take my sarcasm too seriously; I'm just a little goofy here before crashing at 4:00a after work...

Owning a 1090, alone, gives you partial license to call the parts whatever you want. ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

I have had several alcoholic beverages...

I envy that too, as I have none available at the moment.

6 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

I have no top cover either. Makes a very bare 1090.

Eh, it just makes it look more "techie" without the cover.

9 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

Alright, Card cage then.......

James

hi,

I was doing the electronic parts and Curt was doing the chassis/metal parts. I have no idea where he was looking or how far he got. I even have no clue how to start shopping for chassis parts. any suggestions welcome.

Ken

20 hours ago, atari-passion said:

Hello,

Some silkscreened details are missing on the PCB, for the switch and for the card selector as well as for the card edge connector.
Attention on your diagram you put that c1 a value of 0.1uF while atari indicates a value of 0.22 uF
Also for the resistors a slightly larger spacing would have been desirable.

Arnaud

hi atari-passion,

I have done these updates with the exception of resistor spacing. I looked at your photos and the spacing between resistors looks ok, unless you are talking about spacing between leads at ends of resistors which does seem a bit short.

I have not regenerated the gerber files yet, waiting for you to confirm my resistor conclusions. thank you for your input. it is always welcome and appreciated.

Ken

17 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

I have had several alcoholic beverages due to it being evening here and am winding down due to a hard ?!? days work.

Also an Aussie so can see when someone is taking the piss :D

I have no top cover either. Makes a very bare 1090.

James

hi James,

do you have any of the plug in cards for your 1090? if so, any hires photos you can provide would be a very large help to me. thank you in advance and thank you also for your help in the past.

Ken

6 hours ago, kenames99 said:

hi James,

do you have any of the plug in cards for your 1090? if so, any hires photos you can provide would be a very large help to me. thank you in advance and thank you also for your help in the past.

Ken

No. A very empty space waiting for some cards ;)

James

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

I have just tested the card that I have reproduced.

With an atari 600xl, if the switch is on position 1064, I have 64 kb and the games seem to be working fine.

On the other hand, if I use it with an 800xl with Bank mode selected on the card, no diagnostic software can see the additional memory.

I would like to point out that for some components I use 74ls03 74ls09 and 74ls20 and 74ls51 instead of version 74s03, 74s09, 74s20, 74s51 and for the memory of mt4264-15 instead of 4164 chip.

Is there an electronic problem on the card that prevents recognition of the extra memory on an 800xl ???
Or do you need a special program to use it?

Here are some pictures during my test with a 600xl pal computer.

IMG_0628.thumb.JPG.c9d718c933ab39ef75ea53a85d708022.JPG

IMG_0636.thumb.JPG.337b58a1fc7fc24831b221164abfff06.JPG

IMG_0630.thumb.JPG.7edfad637b92429fb4cde4d8ae3a51ce.JPG

• Like 5

hi,

that is really good to hear that it basically works. as far as modes and how it works past what you have tested, I do not know. I will have to go read the manual for it. I know there is a mode switch but there is also a jumper toward middle of board. but your success with basic 64k makes me very happy that I got the layout mostly or fully correct.

thank you for this info.

Ken

• Like 2

hi everyone,

just a quick update, I have mostly assembled a 1090xl board and am happy to report it works, at least as far as I have tested. all power rails are proper voltage. leds light up. so things look good so far. there are numerous fixes I have applied to the board since these were made. enjoy.

Ken

20210909_192308.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kenames99 said:

hi everyone,

just a quick update, I have mostly assembled a 1090xl board and am happy to report it works, at least as far as I have tested. all power rails are proper voltage. leds light up. so things look good so far. there are numerous fixes I have applied to the board since these were made. enjoy.

Ken

20210909_192308.jpg

I look at your photo and realize that on my 1090xl proto, I don't have the 2nd led red on the front.

28 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

If you read the manuals for the 1064 it explains how banking is done.  I don't think it is compatible at all with anything that was done which explains why no test will show it.  I encourage someone to write a test.  ?

Perhaps with a program that will be loaded first, it will make the card compatible, such as with atari translator disk software ???