IGNORED

WTB: the BEST joystick!

Cebus Capucinis

There's a lot of opinions out there about the BEST 2600/A8 joystick. I am looking to try just about everything to see what I can get at this point.  So....WTB joysticks! I currently have a couple Slik Stiks that I like, and a Pointmaster that does pretty well, and I have a Battlestation II that does well, but each has some drawbacks.

But what else works great? I'd like to try a Competition Pro stick, an Epyx 500XJ, a TAC-2, and anything out there that just kicks ass.

So, if you have an extra of your favorite joystick or you're looking to sell a great stick, hit me up. Have cash will supply.

The best joystick, is the one you build for yourself, to your own exact specifications. ;)  I don't like one thing or the other, on most controllers.

My favorite is by far the 7800 PS2 controller adapter, I built for myself (I wrote all the code, so I can tweak every single variable of joystick interpretation, E.G. Analog -> Digital threshold).  Turned out it was not universally liked enough, to run custom circuit boards for it, I hacked one of my other boards, for the 2, I built.  Which was even too much work for Shawn, that's saying something.

With that said, I have 2 x Epyx sticks NIB, for whatever reason. :ponder:

16 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Turned out it was not universally liked enough, to run custom circuit boards for it, I hacked one of my other boards, for the 2, I built.  Which was even too much work for Shawn, that's saying something.

Yes, it was a total pain in the ass. The biggest problem though as using the shit Chinese db9 cables cause they kept breaking. I think I would be open to trying it again but with quality cables. I got so mad at that thing it was evicted from my home.

EDIT: With a pcb specifically for it that would be a totally different situation. But as you said, the interest just isn't there which is a shame. I did have the frankenboard going at one point but never correctly and any attempts to fix any issues led to other wires from those cheap ass genesis cables breaking off on other spots. I really do think quality cables would have been the difference between seeing it through and wishing the firing squad on it.

Edited by Shawn

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Yes, it was a total pain in the ass. The biggest problem though as using the shit Chinese db9 cables cause they kept breaking. I think I would be open to trying it again but with quality cables. I got so mad at that thing it was evicted from my home.

EDIT: With a pcb specifically for it that would be a totally different situation. But as you said, the interest just isn't there which is a shame. I did have the frankenboard going at one point but never correctly and any attempts to fix any issues led to other wires from those cheap ass genesis cables breaking off on other spots. I really do think quality cables would have been the difference between seeing it through and wishing the firing squad on it.

Yes, the cable is horrible (cursed at it plenty).

Believe it or not (and coming from decades of joysticks, 500XJ, Wico sticks, Kraft, and dozens more), this is currently my favorite joystick:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Trooper-Controller-not-machine-specific/dp/B07M5HYTZL

So much so in fact that I have purchased six of these. I use them on my C128, Vic-20, 7800, and other things. They just feel great and are super accurate. Not as "tight" as the original CX-40...but to me its a good thing as they feel just so damn good. Just my opinion mind you. And, the price is right!

• Like 1

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1080

Edladdin controllers are, to use some sort of vernacular, for realz.

My recent acquisition of the Super Twin 78 has been a complete mind reset; I'm starting to hate on a lot of my other controllers I used to like, just by comparison.

The real Sanwa sticks and Suzo-Happ buttons are a seriously important factor.  The rest of the design is amazing; it's perfectly weighted, done with care and lots of thought, practice, and such, you can just feel it.  

Eladdin 2.jpg

• Like 2

Why Buy? Build your own instead. I built this Sanwa JLW Twin stick that has a Sega Genesis 6 button on the left and an Atari 7800 on the right. I have an Edladdin Seagull 78 adapter on the genesis side when I want to use it as a twin stick with Robotron 2084 on my Atari 7800. The Atari 7800 PCB is an Easy 78 kit also from Edladdin. The Genesis PCB was taken from an old Sega MK-1470 controller. Buttons are Crown SDB-202 MX with Cherry switches. The case is made from a discarded oak TV tray and the back of an old cork board. I use it on 5 different consoles, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Genesis, Vectrex (with Vecadapt) and SNES (with Genesis to SNES convertor). 

Genesis Atari 7800 Twin Stick.jpg

Edited by cedropoole
  • Like 2