IGNORED

Can't solder? External U1MB

candle

13 hours ago, candle said:

Little WIP for those of you who don't wan't to solder, or have too many computers to expand them all

this is just the beggining of software side of this project, so please be patient

You've made great strides from all those years ago and have greatly improved the 8 bit landscape with your offerings. I must say that I sincerely wish joy and happiness to you. You deserve some happy time. Please continue in all you do, and at the same time enjoy it as we do. :)

Love this idea!

as always,

_T D__

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 6

turbo freezer functionality was already there in original u1mb - noone did any software for it though, so i don't know

i'm not up to a task of writing any disassembler or such

as for XE, its a matter of passive adapter board, and will get there with next board revision

as for sio cable - i don't think it's really needed - i know there are some software titles that won't load from anything else that SIO, but for those we do have other soultions

plus, it is easy if you're doing everything with soft-core cpu like AVG cart does, but things get little more complicating when using "real" that means logic based hardware

it is noting wrong with soft-core cpu approach though, just not my can of worms

• Like 4

Fantastic idea! I am a so very vocal on just how incompetent I am at soldering! LOL. 

Even if I felt a bit more confident, I don't want to break my Atari (its getting hard to replace reasonably.)

To do something similar this is what my solution looks like today:

image.png.e6719b421afc7758cb23a2d931d82bc3.png

image.png.52d8130d549c7de7774aa8fbdb85c65f.png

and it lacks some of the functionality; including half the RAM and inability to do cartridge emulation.

For guys like me external upgrades are key though. Thanks for doing what you do!

• Like 3

I'm genuinely excited about this developing story!  I'm older and now in the camp where soldering is very difficult + the portability would be terrific.  Hope this comes to fruition.

Planning on a PBI pass-thru (for IDE+2, etc.)?

-Larry

there is a pass through connector on the back

just curious - why would you want to use ide+ with this?

migration from old hard drive can be done a lot faster using pc than this

and if you just want to have spinning platter drive thats fine too - i'm just curious what is the motivation there

Edited by candle
add information

Well, the quick answer is that I like the IDE+2, but you make a good point -- it may not be necessary with this device to get the same functionality.  I'll certainly be eager and willing to try it using the built-in capabilities.  That said, glad it will have a pass-thru! 

• Like 1

I love these solderless add ons, as Larry said as we get older soldering (as well as many other stuff) becomes harder. And after having COVID I seem to have developed a twitch in both arms, its not always there but when I'm concentrating so soldering becomes a bit of a worry as if I twitch I have to sit for ages looking for any possible splash. Thankfully 4 jobs done with only one twitch and no splash (phew), does make you appreciate add on's like this from Candle etc where its PNP.

The only follow up question for the info for UK buyers, will you be sending to the UK Sebastian? I have a U1MB so I'm ok...

• Like 1

I don't do this anymore - assembling my own boards and shipping them out

i did buy whole smt assembly line, and i would love one day be able to live from my hobby, but this didn't happend yet

instead, all my projects are distributed by Lotharek's shop, and he is resposible for logistics and assembly

I know for sure that UK is covered already by some distributors working closely with Lotharek, so all of UK folks, despite brexit and all should be good

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, candle said:

know for sure that UK is covered already by some distributors working closely with Lotharek, so all of UK folks, despite brexit and all should be good

That's good news, I can't even get hold of basic fruit and veg right now ?

Depends where you are in the UK, I'm just back from Tesco and its stocked with most stuff and plenty of it but if I go to where my daughter is in Uni just 10 miles away its utter madness, no stock, huge queues out the door, like a different planet..

Does not help people as back to mass buying though in many places..2 or 3 trolly loads to the brim, like a Christmas shop..Very silly, so much waste...

5 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Depends where you are in the UK, I'm just back from Tesco and its stocked with most stuff and plenty of it but if I go to where my daughter is in Uni just 10 miles away its utter madness, no stock, huge queues out the door, like a different planet..

Does not help people as back to mass buying though in many places..2 or 3 trolly loads to the brim, like a Christmas shop..Very silly, so much waste...

Here in Australia everyone stripped the shelves clean of toilet paper, do you believe that? Absolutely laughable.

Just use a Murdoch newspaper, that's all they're good for. ;)

• Like 1