IGNORED

Can't solder? External U1MB

candle

8 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Here in Australia everyone stripped the shelves clean of toilet paper, do you believe that?

In Germany we had the same insanity in spring 2020 during the first wave. For several weeks you were only allowed to buy one pack IF there was toilet paper available at all.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Here in Australia everyone stripped the shelves clean of toilet paper, do you believe that? Absolutely laughable.

Just use a Murdoch newspaper, that's all they're good for. ;)

Meanwhile... my plan for making tons of money on Bidets is in progress....

Just my 2 cents... I didn't realize it was such an impossible task for people to learn how to solder 4 wires to the motherboard. But yes let's hang all this stuff off the back of our A8. Now that'll be sooo much better, and quite reliable when moving it from machine to machine.

Sorry for the sarcasm (well not really ;)), but this really seems like a disaster waiting to happen when the cat or a small child bumps the thing.

16 minutes ago, mytek said:

Just my 2 cents... I didn't realize it was such an impossible task for people to learn how to solder 4 wires to the motherboard. But yes let's hang all this stuff off the back of our A8. Now that'll be sooo much better, and quite reliable when moving it from machine to machine.

Sorry for the sarcasm (well not really ;)), but this really seems like a disaster waiting to happen when the cat or a small child bumps the thing.

In the case of the 1541 Ultimate II+ on 'that other platform' I can assure you it's totally a non issue. ;)

35 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

In the case of the 1541 Ultimate II+ on 'that other platform' I can assure you it's totally a non issue. ;)

Yeah please forgive my rant, I guess it was a bad isolated Covid day for me. Really getting tired of hiding away from people, but gotta do what I gotta do ;) .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Just my 2 cents... I didn't realize it was such an impossible task for people to learn how to solder 4 wires to the motherboard.

and here is your change.... I'm one of those "people" and It's not impossible, just not preferred. I didn't hear Candle say anything about replacing existing solutions - just adding one to the catalog, and the act of creation in itself is worth his time, IMHO. It's freaking awesome what everyone here can create. So even IF we could objectively agree it is an "inferior" solution, I am sure we can find many times in history where a market, or portion thereof, preferred the "inferior" regardless of how much it annoyed folks that "know better."

1 hour ago, mytek said:

But yes let's hang all this stuff off the back of our A8.

That's the idea. The Sys-check and the IDE+ and the Turbo freezer are freaking amazing solutions that a lot of people like.

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Now that'll be sooo much better,

Maybe sooo much better for me.

1 hour ago, mytek said:

and quite reliable when moving it from machine to machine.

My external solutions are doing fine for me between machines. On the subject of "Quite reliable" vs "Most reliable" --- yeah, mine is "quite reliable." "Most reliable" might be a debate, but I am sure I can find some folks here that have damaged their Atari or Atari parts with solder/soldering iron which will throw your numbers off a bit I think.

1 hour ago, mytek said:

The "bump" ought not damage a thing. I frequently move my computer around the desk with items connected to all the exterior ports without any issue; or concern of issue. 

Though, it occurs to me, things worth having might be worth keeping children and pets away from them, regardless. I don't lock up every thing I own for fear of it breaking from the jostle of the two or four legged variety; both of which live here with me.

40 minutes ago, mytek said:

Yeah please forgive my rant,

You're forgiven (well not really ;) )

46 minutes ago, mytek said:

I guess it was a bad isolated Covid day for me. Really getting tired of hiding away from people

Is it worse to 1) bring up covid in a thread right after the OP just asked that it be kept out, or 2) deal with the negative results of covid on forum members in a thread or 3) both.

Forgive my reply. I don't have a virus related excuse. I just didn't appreciate having myself, or others, or Candle's work criticized by someone acting so superior.

I agree, that, while the internal upgrade is easily within my capabilities, and is probably the superior route to take, I like the idea of the external, no mod route. Before, I just had one 800XL and my 1088XEL. Now I have an additional 800XL and a 600XL that I may wind up keeping, as I've spent too much restoring them to likely recoup my investment. It would be nice to have a portable, plug-in style upgrade that I could just move from one machine to another as needed. I'm not certain that's the route I'll wind up taking, but I like knowing it's an option. I'm certain there are quite a few of my less technical Atari brothers and sisters that don't have the tools or skills to even solder four wires that this upgrade would appeal to. As far as being bumped by kids and pets, keep your darned kids and pets away from your valuable Ataris! After raising seven kids and now having four grandsons around frequently, I can say with all experience, it really isn't that hard. As far as pets, I just keep it easy and don't have any. Life is full of choices and we all have to deal with the ones we make.

I know @mytek was admittedly having a moment though, so I'd say he can be forgiven for his knee-jerk reaction.

I think @candle's news is very good news indeed and I look forward to watching this project progress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mytek said:

hahahahaha

oh hahahahahahaha

oh oh oh oh oh oh.

dude

how many Atari's do I have to destroy to make my point.  It is an impossible task for some of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I know @mytek was admittedly having a moment though, so I'd say he can be forgiven for his knee-jerk reaction.

Yes. Of course. I am no better in my reply. Mea culpa.

**EDIT**

5 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

how many Atari's do I have to destroy to make my point.  It is an impossible task for some of us.

HA HA HA --- I picture mountains of machines half melted... a wasteland... a landfill of Atari larger than the notorious ET carts.

Cheers!

Edited by MrFSL

Maybe I'm over sharing.  But to all those that cannot solder, I'm with you.

I destroyed an Atari 800 attempting an incognito install.  I destroyed an 800XL attempting an antonia install, heck that machine was socketed.   I destroyed an XE GS trying to replace a bad antic chip.  I really did try.  I watched the you tube videos, had a practice motherboard, bought a brand new soldering iron, solder, tweezers, wick, practiced tinning it?  Practiced, first apply new solder so it comes off easier.  If I remember right I bought a desoldering tool, I think I was putting flux on my wick - omg, I hope that isn't dirty.

I know I have poor mechanical aptitude, which apparently is a real thing.  But, with that said, I do all my own repairs on some things, such as often on the car, hvac, or bicycle. 

But, those skills came at a high price, lot of things destroyed before eventually getting the hang of it.

With soldering,   I suspect I would just need a real life teacher to point out a few of my mistakes.  Maybe my soldering iron isn't really hot enough..Maybe I need a proper bench to do the work.  Maybe, don't get frustrated and throw the Atari out the window?  Who knows....could be anything.

Anyway, I really just was in awe of this thread!  Heck yeah!!!! This is a great idea.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I destroyed an Atari 800 attempting an incognito install.  I destroyed an 800XL attempting an antonia install, heck that machine was socketed.   I destroyed an XE GS trying to replace a bad antic chip.  I really did try.  I watched the you tube videos, had a practice motherboard, bought a brand new soldering iron, solder, tweezers, wick, practiced tinning it?  Practiced, first apply new solder so it comes off easier.  If I remember right I bought a desoldering tool, I think I was putting flux on my wick - omg, I hope that isn't dirty.

STOP I'm in tear here!!!! --- If only you had recorded these attempts like FJC does on his youtube channel. Not only would it be hilarious (in a schadenfreude kind of way) but think of the value for folks learning to see things done wrong. And think of how much you could have learned from the more learned critiquing your videos. ... sigh... lost opportunity if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I destroyed an 800XL attempting an antonia install, heck that machine was socketed

My sides hurt. I can't breath!... ROTF

6 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

But, those skills came at a high price, lot of things destroyed before eventually getting the hang of it.

The landfill grow'ith.

6 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Maybe, don't get frustrated and throw the Atari out the window?  Who knows....could be anything.

Its a good place to start.

7 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I suspect I would just need a real life teacher to point out a few of my mistakes.

All laughing aside --- when teaching yourself, you really can't beat having an expert there to answer the first 20 questions and catch the first 10 mistakes. I have successfully soldered but I still have my friend do it for me when he is available.

50 minutes ago, StickJock said:

Flashbacks of using my Sinclair ZX81 with the 16K RAM pack plugged in the back.... ?

The ZX81 wasn't really renowned for it's outstanding build quality, the external ram module was quite possibly the only bit of tech that could possibly have been made worse than the ZX81 itself!

Imagine if Clive Sinclair won the BBC contract to supply computers to schools? They would have lasted about a week a pop.

as far reliability goes - it sits flash with the case, doesn't stick above top lid, and can't be easly disconnected

i suppose when you move the thing as you do with cartridges it will show some wear and tear at some point, but i doubt this will be real issue

my main concern is USB connector for powering it for those of you who can't or won't solder that single wire

leverage there is quite big, and we all know how it ends with cell phones - but - that's what we pay for convinience

• Like 1

In truth the only issues I've ever had with non solder plug in devices is if the device is left unused for very extended periods of time and oxidation / dirt builds up on the edge connector. A bit of a tap on the machine sometimes moves the device enough to be sitting on a dirty part of the connector. A quick wipe sorts that but then again why were you not using your beloved machine for so long :)

As far as I know neither my C64 or Atari have ever had covid...So it's not that....Nor covox.....

I did what??   Say what word??   Not me....

Edited by Mclaneinc

34 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

In truth the only issues I've ever had with non solder plug in devices is if the device is left unused for very extended periods of time and oxidation / dirt builds up on the edge connector. A bit of a tap on the machine sometimes moves the device enough to be sitting on a dirty part of the connector. A quick wipe sorts that but then again why were you not using your beloved machine for so long :)

As far as I know neither my C64 or Atari have ever had covid...So it's not that....Nor covox.....

I did what??   Say what word??   Not me....

Erasers are great for rectifying edge connector oxidization.