IGNORED

Can't solder? External U1MB

candle

26 minutes ago, MrFish said:

And then XXL can feel some sense of accomplishment for all his hard work too. :D

Yeah, not many people get a dedicated easter egg in a new hardware device ;) And it's hilarious that a lot of people (including me) thought this was his own portrait :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ivop said:

And it's hilarious that a lot of people (including me) thought this was own portrait :)

I wasn't sure. I thought there was something like a 50/50 chance that it was some high-school photo or such -- since I apparently confused the real XXL with Pinokio/Tristesse, who looks vastly different.

I get the feeling this style of haircut must be somewhat analogous with the humor surrounding mullets in the U.S. Although, bowl haircuts have their place in U.S. comedy too.

7613c7c75b2670df0dd748599bcafcd2.thumb.jpg.8141ddf4d5da361d36f223fff430c43d.jpg

Redneck-Mullet.thumb.jpg.7f1d3ba39870f514d2848605a7dd0617.jpg

1689864932_MoeVitamins.thumb.jpeg.a66e663b12d641db2cc17bb07243d4eb.jpeg

Stoogelogo.gif.361e1b5afa1da0a1694a447d81665a01.gif

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, MrFish said:

They call it a bowl haircut here, because if you put a bowl on someone's head and cut around the edge, that's the kind of haircut you'd end up with (if it wasn't obvious).

Yeah, in Dutch we call it a "bloempotkapsel". A flowerpot haircut.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, orpheuswaking said:

Hey if you give it you gotta be able to take it ;-)

Fair enough, I certainly have dished out enough.  Have at it.  I guess this was early 92 and I'd had a recent haircut, it was usually midway down my back.

776503037_ImagesByDeb.jpg.4a81d36a846dd5410e4a795b130c5a2a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm the same, I'm not a fan of camera's or being audio recorded, my voice because of health issues became rather monotone and I hate hearing it. With Eczema my face tends to go patchy red at times hence not liking photo's. Took ages before I was comfortable with Skype but do the odd get together on there. 

Napoleon Dynamite, lol, your wife is so cruel :)

• Thanks 1

Candle may I suggest a jumper please for 600XL function? So that the memory map will place the PBI RAM starting above 16KiB.  Or is there a way to auto detect system RAM so that it will work with 16, 64 or 128K machines with no need for preconfiguring the PBI device?

Edited by Sugarland

2 hours ago, Sugarland said:

Candle may I suggest a jumper please for 600XL function? So that the memory map will place the PBI RAM starting above 16KiB.  Or is there a way to auto detect system RAM so that it will work with 16, 64 or 128K machines with no need for preconfiguring the PBI device?

Why would you want to keep using the stock 16KB base RAM of the 600XL, it is simpler to just disable the internal RAM and use 64KB from the external device like Atari did with the 1064. The SYSCHECK 2.x contain a static RAM which can be used in 1064 mode on any PBI/ECI equipped Atari, not just the 600XL, replacing internal base RAM. 

The same with memory expansions, when enabled the SYSCHECK 2.2 512KB Rambo compatible memory expansion takes priority and is used before any internal memory expansion. I expect this device to function in a similar way, it should always be able to use its own external RAM first without changing configuration when transferring to another Atari.

16 minutes ago, BillC said:

Why would you want to keep using the stock 16KB base RAM of the 600XL, it is simpler to just disable the internal RAM and use 64KB from the external device like Atari did with the 1064.

If it's anything at all like the internal U1MB upgrade, the machines must have a base memory of 64KB already. You can't use it with a 16KB only machine. This one could be different though.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BillC said:

Why would you want to keep using the stock 16KB base RAM of the 600XL, it is simpler to just disable the internal RAM and use 64KB from the external device like Atari did with the 1064. The SYSCHECK 2.x contain a static RAM which can be used in 1064 mode on any PBI/ECI equipped Atari, not just the 600XL, replacing internal base RAM. 

The same with memory expansions, when enabled the SYSCHECK 2.2 512KB Rambo compatible memory expansion takes priority and is used before any internal memory expansion. I expect this device to function in a similar way, it should always be able to use its own external RAM first without changing configuration when transferring to another Atari.

Oh, okay! That's great!  Yes it just needs to work. No need to use the internal RAM.  Using exclusively the external RAM could also help in diagnosing internal RAM issues as well.   Only benefit for using the internal RAM is in the case that there is also an internal U1MB in which case the PBI device would be for the PBI SD access.

I have a stock 600XL that would be fun to use with this device, whatever it will be called.  E-U1MB?  E for external. But it's more than an external U1MB. E-U1S3?  S3 for Side3. 

19 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

If it's anything at all like the internal U1MB upgrade, the machines must have a base memory of 64KB already. You can't use it with a 16KB only machine. This one could be different though.

Watch the video in the first post, I believe he uses a stock PAL 600XL. 

1064 + U1MB + SIDE3 =  !?

Edited by BillC

you can use 16k 600xl, there are some caveeats doing this, but nothing major

you cant configure it to have 1mb of portb expansion and emulate 1mb cartridge in the same time because there is only 2mbytes of memory on board

so it will either be 1mb cartridge and 512k of portb explansion or vice versa, but i don't know if any cartridge uses expanded memory at all, so this should be no problem