IGNORED

Can't solder? External U1MB

candle

4 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Pah! Buy three or more if possible. :) Even if you don't need more than one, you're supporting the creators and encouraging them to invent new stuff. ;)

My first ever Ultimate 1mb just arrived today.  Watching lots of FJC videos before I try to install it on my 800xl.  Haven't used my drill in so long that the rechargeable batteries are beyond dead.  Don't suppose there are any no drill options?

Back on subject even with with my new U1mb and my SIDE3 I still plan to grab one of these no solder beauties for my 130xe or 600xl so I can have another updated system in the family game room and not just my basement.

38 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Why would anyone want to buy more than one? The whole point of this device is that it can be easy moved from one machine to another.

Why would anyone have more than one Atari? they are physically portable and can move from one display to another. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

Why would anyone have more than one Atari? they are physically portable and can move from one display to another. 

With, Ataris you have limited supply and there aren't new one made. Still, you can use only one at the time. 

Buying more than one of such expansion, defeats its designed purpose, to be easily movable from one machine to another. How many SIDE2, SIDE3 or AVD carts you need?

48 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Pah! Buy three or more if possible. :) Even if you don't need more than one, you're supporting the creators and encouraging them to invent new stuff. ;)

There are other ways to support creators.  

39 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Don't suppose there are any no drill options?

Some installers just let the board float on a cushion of folded ribbon cables, or have it anchored on only one screw using an existing motherboard mounting hole or self-tapper through the case and appear happy to publicise the fact. :) Someone made a 3D printed bracket for holding U1MB in an XL, which might be a good option.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, candle said:

name three...

1. Buy directly from creator

2. Design another product that require original device to became operational (for example 1088XLE)

3. Offer instalation service for those that can't do it by themselves

I would guess that @mytek sold quite a big chunk of all U1MB, without any compensation.

1) not an option

2) more work, and vendor locking a product is a bad practice imo

3) even more work without any profit at all

not to mention UAV - both bad decisions that were been questioned and brag about more than they should

but hey - it's in designer's hands to design the product anyway they want, isn't it?

as for the numbers i couldn't tell, but i belive it was less than 10% of overall volume

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candle said:

1) not an option

2) more work, and vendor locking a product is a bad practice imo

3) even more work without any profit at all

not to mention UAV - both bad decisions that were been questioned and brag about more than they should

but hey - it's in designer's hands to design the product anyway they want, isn't it?

as for the numbers i couldn't tell, but i belive it was less than 10% of overall volume

We are talking about U1MB, which is your creation.  You completely misunderstood my post. Options 2 and 3 doesn't cost you anything, because it's not you that provides that service, it's a third party that do this. And you benefit from their work because this way you could sell more of your product, even if it was 10%.

This year I bought a lot of these new Atari hardware projects - sram charger, fujinet, vbxe, rapidus, sophia.  But most years I don't buy anything.

And of course, the reason most years I don't buy anything is because when I have my desired system together, I have no hardware needs.

Some products that you cannot buy, like a ram 320xe, or 2011 turbo freezer, or a xep 80, if they were available, I would probably buy one.

Then I would either integrate it into my setup, or decide I didn't really need it.

I like this project...so cool.  When someday it is available for sale for immediate purchase from a dealer;  I didn't really pick up if that was the model here or not, but if it is, I am almost certain I'd end up buying one....it just really fits a need to expand an unexpanded atari easily.  If someday someone also does that with a video card, I'll be in heaven.

28 minutes ago, candle said:

world doesn't work the way you think i'm affride

and i'm not selling anything either

Can you please explain me than how the world work? 

The second part I understand. If I remember correctly from our private conversation, you are Tim Paterson and the other guy is Bill Gates. But in this case, how you can create another device that is using U1MB as a integral part? Is that new device already owned by said Bill Gates? 

no, i can't

perhaps, but then again i've offered a help anyone desiging atari replacement boards in the past - no help was taken

i'm happy u1mb is so popular - i don't own the rights to it, as their were transfered to lotharek, and i don't earn anything from u1mb being so popular

but it's still close to my heart - just makes me pround - if this is the best wording for it

anyways, novadays, all projects are licensed, but i'm very carefull to whom i license them to

and i'm happy that we, as a society, have places like lotharek's shop where you can "go" and order what you need

he doesn't create anything new - this is most of the times true - he does some things for zx spectrum

but the main reason for backing up lotharek is that everything there is in stock - you just go and grab what you like

prices? i don't know if they are steep or affordable and i don't care

despite of having whole smt assembly line i don't have the time to use it, and with so much ideas on new projects i have i don't know if i should keep my day job or not

• Like 2

I know all this and I understand very well. My original question was, why anyone would want to buy more than one of such expansion, that is designed to be swaped easy between different machines, similarly to most of the multicarts. I'm not talking about rare cases when someone has a permanent Atari setups. We don't hear about people buying multiple copies of multicardiges. On top of it, the easy and unlimited availability should keep people from hoarding this extension. 

If someone wants to support the creator, they could buy another device instead getting multiple copies of the same thing. 

Hello ZuluGula

8 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

We don't hear about people buying multiple copies of multicardiges.

One Ultimate Cartridge plus two AVG-carts.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS OK, I bought three AVG-carts, two for me and one for somebody else.

PPS for the sole reason of wanting two and giving one away.

Edited by Mathy