IGNORED

Can't solder? External U1MB

candle

Sorry for my English, but I'm m ESL and I see that many people still don't understand me. When I said "not many people buy multiple copies of the same multicardige", I meant exactly the same cartridge, for example 2x SIDE2. Not one SIDE2, one AVG, one UNOCART. Many people have all available multicarts, and I can understand that, because they can have different functionality, or in the case of AVG there's new version with added hardware. 

I would like the creator of this device, explain me what are the benefits of owning 2 or 3 identical copies of this new extension?

25 minutes ago, candle said:

or send some nice gear i could thinker with, drag out for a beer, or just say something nice, instead of usuall, polish "complements" i get

I omitted Donations in my list, because you said before that you don't believe in donations and your work for Atari is strictly commercial. And I understand that. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

One Ultimate Cart, two AVGCARTs here. 

I guess that your case is different, because you are helping developing avg cart and created documentation for it. I apologize in advance, but didn't you mention before that one of them got donated?

I have 2 AVG's in use on two 130XE's at the same time, I also use at least two laptops of various manufacture and at the same time. I sometimes wish I had another AVG as sometime I use both at the same time on a single 130XE... pictures of that are posted here on AA... I can see needing at least 4 multicarts at this point. Definitely could use two more incognitos' and might want another ultimate or two... don't know what else to say... 

i don't belive in monetary donations

my works for Atari strictly is commecrial? I do commercial projects strictly commercial, some are for Atari, some for other platforms, some are unrelated to any of this

i just make - i don't belive in open source or open hardware though

and i belive any creator should get rewarded in one way or another, and monetary rewards, although they are simple, are least significant ones

just a note

i and Jon put equivalent of 22000usd into side3 project - do you really think we get our money back? how "commercial" is that?

we, or i, do this because i can, and because i want, "commercial" aspects are slim or none

Edited by candle
add information
  • Like 4

I’m not helping develop the Avg, I helped @tmp with the label design and wrote the docs myself without tmp asking me to. I got given one AVG for the help with the label, I recently bought another (it still hasn’t arrived yet; that recently) so I bought one *after* I was given one. 

why is my case different?, I needed two, I got two. 

The Ultimate is the anathema. I got that first and don’t use it at all. 

58 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

If someone wants to support the creator, they could buy another device instead getting multiple copies of the same thing. 

Here's an idea: how about the consumer supports the creator in any way they damn well choose? Someone said they'd like to buy two without having their arm twisted and for some reason you and you alone seem to have a problem with that.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Here's an idea: how about the consumer supports the creator in any way they damn well choose? Someone said they'd like to buy two without having their arm twisted and for some reason you and you alone seem to have a problem with that.

Is it really that hard to understand my English? I'm asking what is the good use of multiple copies of this device? With exception of situation when someone has multiple permanent Atari setups. 

1 hour ago, ZuluGula said:

I'm asking what is the good use of multiple copies of this device? With exception of situation when someone has multiple permanent Atari setups. 

You're answering your own question right there above with the "With the exception of ..." part. The fact of the matter is, in this day and age, many (maybe most) active and enthusiastic hobbyists DO have multiple machines set up at once. Personally, I have 3 working A8 machines ready to go at a moment's notice, plus several vintage Atari game consoles. I have numerous others in various states of serviceability, in repair, or in storage. It is absolutely understandable to me why someone might want 2 or 3 of a neat device like this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

You can buy other products from the same creator, but why buy multiple copies of the same? The only reason I can come up is speculation that it can increase its resale value. 

Do you own more than one pair of jeans or socks?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

I know all this and I understand very well. My original question was, why anyone would want to buy more than one of such expansion, that is designed to be swaped easy between different machines, similarly to most of the multicarts. I'm not talking about rare cases when someone has a permanent Atari setups. We don't hear about people buying multiple copies of multicardiges. On top of it, the easy and unlimited availability should keep people from hoarding this extension. 

If someone wants to support the creator, they could buy another device instead getting multiple copies of the same thing. 

Again - I ask.  Do you have more than one pair of jeans?  More than one pair of shoes?  More than one shirt?  Why would anybody do that.  What a stupid way of supporting clothing manufacturers.  Sure is strange to own more than one of something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZuluGula said:

Ok, so what a good use of multiple copies of the same external device that can be swaped easy? 

Where is the harm in letting people spend their money the way they see fit?  Why is it any of your business?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Where is the harm in letting people spend their money the way they see fit?  Why is it any of your business?

I don't have a problem with this as long as people aren't deliberately hoarding machines.

There's a certain Amiga user that does just that and openly brags about the fact that he will never 'let go' of his hundreds of Commodore machines literally littered all over his home rotting away with leaking caps and Varta NiCads - Pisses me off no end when there's good homes those devices could go to and actually get used. There's a TRS80 user in Australia that goes out of his way to import retro Tandy's from the USA (as that's where the bulk of affordable retro gear is) and restores them to on sell to good homes - IMO, that's a healthy and positive attitude that can only improve the community.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Again - I ask.  Do you have more than one pair of jeans?  More than one pair of shoes?  More than one shirt?  Why would anybody do that.  What a stupid way of supporting clothing manufacturers.  Sure is strange to own more than one of something.

With exception of underwear, all my piece's of clothing are different. I can wear only one pair of pants or shoes at the time. On the other hand my Atari pheryperials don't get dirty and don't have to be changed regularly like clothes. But I know where are you coming from. I know a guy that looks like Elvis every day for the last 20 years since I know him and maybe longer, but I never asked him about that. I'm sure that he has 20 pair's of the same jeans and shirts in his closet, plus good supply of black leather cowboy shoes. I personally don't like to look like a guy that has only one shirt and never change it.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

With exception of underwear, all my piece's of clothing are different. I can wear only one pair of pants or shoes at the time. On the other hand my Atari pheryperials don't get dirty and don't have to be changed regularly like clothes. But I know where are you coming from. I know a guy that looks like Elvis every day for the last 20 years since I know him and maybe longer, but I never asked him about that. I'm sure that he has 20 pair's of the same jeans and shirts in his closet, plus good supply of black leather cowboy shoes. I personally don't like to look like a guy that has only one shirt and never change it.

He could be a secret genius.  Think back to Jeff Goldbloom, in the 1986 remake of The Fly.  When Gina Davis asked him "do you ever change your shirt?", he explained that he copied Einstein in having 7 identical suits.  That way, he never has to think about what to wear.  He just "grabs the next clean one of the rack" :)  Good movie, and anything from back then with Gina Davis in it sure made my day.

24 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I don't have a problem with this as long as people aren't deliberately hoarding machines.

There's a certain Amiga user that does just that and openly brags about the fact that he will never 'let go' of his hundreds of Commodore machines literally littered all over his home rotting away with leaking caps and Varta NiCads - Pisses me off no end when there's good homes those devices could go to and actually get used. There's a TRS80 user in Australia that goes out of his way to import retro Tandy's from the USA (as that's where the bulk of affordable retro gear is) and restores them to on sell to good homes - IMO, that's a healthy and positive attitude that can only improve the community.

Wow - that's not cool at all.  Most everyone here is very open to helping out others.  Some of us have a few copies of every machine, but if anyone has a massive hoard, it's a secret!  Everything in my collection is in active use - if not all the time, there's a rotation that goes on, to make sure everything is maintained and kept in working order.

• Like 2