IGNORED

SCSI Card Update??

9640News

Hi,

my latest one is the v1.6-0 dated 26.Mar.1999 

dsr-v1.6-0b.zip

And there is an v1.5-0 - 14.Mar.1998

The "Field Test v1.1" is 25.Oct.1995

I don´t know if any DSR-revision works with any hardware revision... But I think so.

And I have something that is called ´sources´, from 2001

Edited by Schmitzi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

don´t know if any DSR-revision works with any hardware revision... But I think so.

As I recall, V1.5 is the latest non-PDMA/modified version and 1.6x was released for the PDMA-capable cards. The card driver low level routines are not interchangeable though the other banks of level 1,2,3 code are nearly the same.  At minimum, I would think Beery should update to 1.5

I have a "F" and "G" card; @Shift838 has an "E" card of mine that was never modified, the intent was to keep it that way to test MDOS with older cards.  Beery and I discovered this morning that he had an older card and it definitely needs the older non-PDMA support ?

I wonder how many of the E and F cards were updated with Michael Becker's changes? Any mods left?  @Swim

• Thanks 1

So, if I understand things, I can upgrade to Version 1.5, but would need the daughterboard for V1.6?  Is the daughterboard available anywhere?  Does it require any soldering on the card or trace cuts, or is it just a board that plugs into a socket?

And, with the comment about changes in the low level routines, does that mean a reformat of partitions?

Beery

8 hours ago, humeur said:

I have a Scsi card With the card that replaces the two Gal.

I'm looking for a copy of these gal or just the equation file.

If need the eprom dump ask me.

Thank

Jean louis

20210119_164229.thumb.jpg.18b5e06b53e138a3e4157928df5e537b.jpg20210119_164337.thumb.jpg.2730601f59a2916776cb5bf9619ac4fd.jpg

I guess its unlikely this daughterboard replacement is available anywhere???

Beery

FWIW - Don O'Neil was having troubles tracking down some very intermittent problems people were having with the SCSI controller, and he sent some to Michael Becker to be diagnosed. Michael had already encountered the problems the WHT SCSI Controller was having in his own designs and that was the quick reaction time from modern chips set.

In a condensed version, what he said was, the TI is relative slow and by the time the TI transitioned from one logical state to another, the newer chips are ready for many different changes in state, so any momentary glitch, the newer chips say - ah.. we need to transition states. So Michael designed the daughter cards to tell newer chips, just hold your state until the TI and it's bus are REALLY ready to change states!

I don't think you will see anymore of these cards, Don sent a bunch of SCSI Controller cards to Michael to be upgraded, you can tell by the hand writing on some of the EPROMs. So, can't help with the board, but maybe you liked the history? ?

• Like 2

I think I explained the WHT SCSI controller history here on AA in an SCSI thread a while back so a search for the long version of the history can be found if needed.

Here's the short version on the WHT SCSI controller series history. I was the authorized WHT repair/upgrade station here in the USA until Competition Computer bought the rights for the WHT SCSI series "E", "F" and "G" boards. At that point Don requested I ship all remaining boards/chips I had to him and he shipped that inventory to Competition Computer as part of the sale. At this point any upgrades/runs of boards will need the permission of Competition Computer.

Although many of the original "E", "F" and "G" cards did function on the Geneve most did not on the 99/4a. The 1.6 upgrade gave all three card verisons very stable operation characteristics with all available popular hard drives including ZIP and Syquest EZ-135 units.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swim said:

I think I explained the WHT SCSI controller history here on AA in an SCSI thread a while back so a search for the long version of the history can be found if needed.

Here's the short version on the WHT SCSI controller series history. I was the authorized WHT repair/upgrade station here in the USA until Competition Computer bought the rights for the WHT SCSI series "E", "F" and "G" boards. At that point Don requested I ship all remaining boards/chips I had to him and he shipped that inventory to Competition Computer as part of the sale. At this point any upgrades/runs of boards will need the permission of Competition Computer.

Although many of the original "E", "F" and "G" cards did function on the Geneve most did not on the 99/4a. The 1.6 upgrade gave all three card verisons very stable operation characteristics with all available popular hard drives including ZIP and Syquest EZ-135 units.

Hope this helps.

Which versions of the EPROM for the F can be used without a daughterboard upgrade?

1 hour ago, BeeryMiller said:

Which versions of the EPROM for the F can be used without a daughterboard upgrade?

All EPROM versions prior to 1.6 may or may not work but are more likely to work using the Geneve than the 99/4a. The 1.6 EPROM should not be used without the complete upgrade which requires different hardware modding for each card in the series.

Hey brainy guys and gals.

What's the best SCSI drive replacement?

I have a number of syquest and zip drives hooked to my SCSI controller.

I'd like to use an SD card as storage, so I can just do a backup by pluging in to a pc, and using some of the great tools that are available to work on images.

Thanks!

Hey brainy guys and gals.
What's the best SCSI drive replacement?
I have a number of syquest and zip drives hooked to my SCSI controller.
I'd like to use an SD card as storage, so I can just do a backup by pluging in to a pc, and using some of the great tools that are available to work on images.
Thanks!
Scsi2sd

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 4