IGNORED

My Harmony Encore Cart is buggered!

Spector

I bought a Harmony Encore Cart in 2018 and have been playing it again recently, trying out some of the great Homebrews with melody enhancement. I was playing Space Rocks these last few days, and this morning when I turned the Atari on and selected it from the menu, I got the spinning ball in the middle of the screen as you do. But the spinning ball never went away, so after half a minute I turned the console off. I turned it on again to find a blank screen, then several more power cycles gave me various colours, vertical bars and sustained high pitch noises. In other words, it's buggered!!

I tried some other carts and there's no problem. I have to say I'm deeply disappointed because I've only been using the cart for less than two years on and off, and that's it broken already? My Cuttle Cart from 2001 still works fine, so I'm a bit angry. But are there any miracle suggestions to try and fix it?

Edited by Spector

10 hours ago, Spector said:

I bought a Harmony Encore Cart in 2018 and have been playing it again recently, trying out some of the great Homebrews with melody enhancement. I was playing Space Rocks these last few days, and this morning when I turned the Atari on and selected it from the menu, I got the spinning ball in the middle of the screen as you do. But the spinning ball never went away, so after half a minute I turned the console off. I turned it on again to find a blank screen, then several more power cycles gave me various colours, vertical bars and sustained high pitch noises. In other words, it's buggered!!

I tried some other carts and there's no problem. I have to say I'm deeply disappointed because I've only been using the cart for less than two years on and off, and that's it broken already? My Cuttle Cart from 2001 still works fine, so I'm a bit angry. But are there any miracle suggestions to try and fix it?

You should be able to reflash the firmware and get it going again. The instructions for doing so are in the manual located here: https://harmony.atariage.com/files/harmony_manual_v2_online.pdf

If you have question or have issues with the procedure, feel free to PM me and I can walk you through the process. 

4 hours ago, batari said:

You should be able to reflash the firmware and get it going again. The instructions for doing so are in the manual located here: https://harmony.atariage.com/files/harmony_manual_v2_online.pdf

If you have question or have issues with the procedure, feel free to PM me and I can walk you through the process. 

It's a big problem though because the PC is not recognising the Harmony Cart when I connect it. The red dot appears at the bottom of the pop up menu to show this. My USB cable works fine on that PC for recognising other devices, so the problem must be with the cartridge. It seems totally dead. 

5 hours ago, Spector said:

It's a big problem though because the PC is not recognising the Harmony Cart when I connect it. The red dot appears at the bottom of the pop up menu to show this. My USB cable works fine on that PC for recognising other devices, so the problem must be with the cartridge. It seems totally dead. 

Which other devices? A USB cable that works with a digital camera, for example, is typically a 4-pin mini-B cable and this kind is not compatible with a 2018 Harmony cart. A 2018 Harmony cart needs a USB 5-pin mini-B cable.

54 minutes ago, batari said:

Which other devices? A USB cable that works with a digital camera, for example, is typically a 4-pin mini-B cable and this kind is not compatible with a 2018 Harmony cart. A 2018 Harmony cart needs a USB 5-pin mini-B cable.

And that could well be it! I am using a cable without knowing whether it's 4 pin or 5 pin. Didn't even though the differences existed. I use the cable for a digital camera and a Dictaphone device, and while I see on ebay that mini b 5 pin cables can also be used for cameras, I'm pretty sure that's why it's not being recognised, so I've ordered a 5 pin cable off ebay and I'll see what happens later this week when I get it.

8 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

Have tried to removing the bad/corrupt usb device/driver from the windows device manager and plugging it back in and having windows install a new usb driver?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what to do next to be honest. I'm not sure how to remove the corrupt usb device driver.

• 2 weeks later...

The update is that I received a Harmony Cart in the post today at the sorting office and tried it... and it works! Well well, thank goodness for that. The older one continues to not work at all and seems utterly fried. I would like to thank Batari for his help in this very awkward situation. Looking at this sub-forum, it doesn't seem too common that a harmony encore stops working completely, and that's what worried me. I'm just wondering if there's anything I did that could have caused it. All I was doing was turning it on and off to play games, and often only a couple of times per session. Maybe it was just a dud cart. Who knows?

1 hour ago, Spector said:

The update is that I received a Harmony Cart in the post today at the sorting office and tried it... and it works! Well well, thank goodness for that. The older one continues to not work at all and seems utterly fried. I would like to thank Batari for his help in this very awkward situation. Looking at this sub-forum, it doesn't seem too common that a harmony encore stops working completely, and that's what worried me. I'm just wondering if there's anything I did that could have caused it. All I was doing was turning it on and off to play games, and often only a couple of times per session. Maybe it was just a dud cart. Who knows?

Maybe you could send it back for diagnosis/post-mortem?

5 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Maybe you could send it back for diagnosis/post-mortem?

Yeah that seem the best option. And the only option really, cause I've not got much use for it now! I also think there is a chance it could be made to work again, even though it could be a bit complicated to do so.

Edited by Spector