IGNORED

Print Disk Contents Utility?

NE555

I was sorting through a box of disks and came across a few that included a printed insert of the disk's contents the same size as the actual floppy disk. If you look closely at the printout you can see a printed outline the same size as the floppy which you would cut around. I obviously used some kind of disk utility to make these, but can't think what it would have been. Does anyone have an idea of what that utility could be or what I can use to make similar printouts? Thanks.

IMG_9528.jpg

• Like 2

Tons of these type programs were done in users groups across the planet, some folks used databases, some even used AtariWriter etc. There were a number of commercial products as well, The actual directories are easy to print. The label at the top was the key component of many listers and some of the less adept wannabe databases on sorted by the the label line (searching for contents yielded nothing), but it was still a great help none the less

6 hours ago, NE555 said:

I was sorting through a box of disks and came across a few that included a printed insert of the disk's contents the same size as the actual floppy disk. If you look closely at the printout you can see a printed outline the same size as the floppy which you would cut around. I obviously used some kind of disk utility to make these, but can't think what it would have been. Does anyone have an idea of what that utility could be or what I can use to make similar printouts? Thanks.

I used a BASIC program BITD to print on form-feed labels, image of a similar label shown in the thread linked below, I don't know where to find the program right now.

The thread has examples of how to get a disk directory in BASIC, the results can be sent to a printer or a text file using the "OPEN" command in output mode.

Some formatting(for multi-column like shown) would need to be done by the program if outputting directly to a printer, if saved to a text file the formatting could be done later in a word processor.

RespeQT also has the ability to print the directory of a mounted ATR.

Edited by BillC

8 minutes ago, Geister said:

I'm pretty sure Antic had a listing printer that did that and included the ability to print it in such a way that you could cut and fold the print-out into a disk sleeve.

That would be great. Maybe someone will post the name of the Antic program if they know which one it is.

Thanks For the link, Luis. I had not come across the website before. I looked through the Antic listing and found a program that prints a disk sized frame around the files list that you can cut out and put in the disk sleeve, which is exactly what I was looking for.

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v5n4/FloppyFiler.html

image.png.961a21fc49f26524ab8926699a289e4d.png

Edited by NE555
  • Thanks 2