IGNORED

Atari800MacX 6.0.0 adds support for Apple Silicon

pedgarcia

Copied from my post for your convenience :)

Just a couple of weeks after the release of version 5.5.0, Atari800MacX 6.0.0 is out with not many functional changes, but with an important update that will ensure the emulator will stay work on macOS for many years to come. 

The Atari emulator app bundle now includes both binaries for Intel and Apple ARM CPU. The OS will choose the right one when launching it. 

Here is the changelog:

Features Added/Changed:

• Added support for ARM-based M1 Macs.
  • Update libSDL to version 2.0.14.
  • Removed 2k limit on the number of characters that can be pasted into the emulator

Bugs Fixed:

• Fixed issue with not correctly restoring machine type when loading a configuration file.
  • Fixed issue with not being able to insert a piggyback cartridge to SDX.

You can download the new version for free from its Github page.

Link: Github

Source: ViTNO

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Thanks to @atarimac and yourself for producing a Universal binary. There aren’t many of us Apple Silicon users yet, but I expect it to increase in the next 6 months. 

The Universal binary allows gamepads to work. Hopefully, the Rosetta 2 bug will be fixed but a Universal binary fixes the problem now since the problem doesn’t happen with a Universal binary. 

Bob C

• 4 weeks later...

I have a new Apple Mac mini M1.

I have a couple of issues:

1. Execution cannot be double clicked on the AtariMac800XL icon, it says unable to verify for malicious content. The only way to open is to right click and open, open again.

2. I cannot figure out how to enable the keyboard as joystick. The monitor always shows no joysticks detected. I have tried various combinations in the keyboard enabling section but none works.

the arrow keys don't work, I'm guessing because no joysticks are detected.

BTW it seems like even with the OpenEmu, keyboard doesn't work on the Mac Mini m1 based.

2 hours ago, CAADet said:

I have a new Apple Mac mini M1.

I have a couple of issues:

1. Execution cannot be double clicked on the AtariMac800XL icon, it says unable to verify for malicious content. The only way to open is to right click and open, open again. 

For #1, that can’t be avoided since @atarimac isn’t a registered developer. You only have to go through the right-click process once. Since he is only creating a hobby product, I certainly understand why he doesn’t want to pay $99/year to be an official Apple developer. 

I can’t help with #2 since I always use it with a CX-40 and a 2600-daptor II. 

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac

Nice, when the M1 came out I was so excited about it, I bought one on launch day.

Unfortunately I got a lemon, and I couldn't even exchange it.  Normally you can return a mac to an apple store for exchange or same day credit.

But due to covid, the store was closed. So they don't have, as far as I know, online "exchange" I finally just sent it back as a return, and it took 3 weeks to get my money back, and I ordered a replacement and after 3 weeks of waiting for my second m1, I got frustrated - because think about it, I ordered on day one and six weeks later I'm waiting on an M1 still....so, I cancelled the order and binged on every piece of Atari computer gear I could find.

now - how is that related....maybe it isn't, maybe it is, all I know is I have a boatload of Atari gear.  

Looking forward to the m1x, I guess...I'll go for apple silicon on round 2.

14 hours ago, CAADet said:

2. I cannot figure out how to enable the keyboard as joystick. The monitor always shows no joysticks detected. I have tried various combinations in the keyboard enabling section but none works.

the arrow keys don't work, I'm guessing because no joysticks are detected.

What´s your configuration like? I have no issues with this on my MBP (i7).

My settings:

12121764_Bildschirmfoto2021-02-13um19_36_58.thumb.jpg.480efa8797c4800eae0de206db277111.jpg

And my definition of the keyboard joysticks:

1393761111_Bildschirmfoto2021-02-13um19_37_05.thumb.jpg.0210ddeb9c6607a71dd4dee9687ff21c.jpg

In "Control" you have to "Enable Keyboard Joysticks" (cmd+J)

If enabled, some keys do not work, so use the shortcut often.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, skr said:

What´s your configuration like? I have no issues with this on my MBP (i7).

My settings:

12121764_Bildschirmfoto2021-02-13um19_36_58.thumb.jpg.480efa8797c4800eae0de206db277111.jpg

And my definition of the keyboard joysticks:

1393761111_Bildschirmfoto2021-02-13um19_37_05.thumb.jpg.0210ddeb9c6607a71dd4dee9687ff21c.jpg

In "Control" you have to "Enable Keyboard Joysticks" (cmd+J)

If enabled, some keys do not work, so use the shortcut often.

Thank you very much for the screen shots! Pictures says so many words. 

It turns out I didn't have the left keyboard selected for joysticks. I swear I had tried but I guess not, it is now working. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

try down grading your Bobterm a version at a time and see if one of them works... Bobterm at some point was modified to play nice with emulation and those versions don't play nice on real hardware and vice versa

Thanks for the advice. But I tried other versions and I get the same results. No transfer is successful. Is there a setting that I'm overlooking to fix this problem?

16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

try down grading your Bobterm a version at a time and see if one of them works... Bobterm at some point was modified to play nice with emulation and those versions don't play nice on real hardware and vice versa

Ah, I was wanting to try Bobterm under Altirra, this is handy to know.