IGNORED

tnfs server on mac?

Hi, just got my FujiNet a couple days ago and I'm having a blast. The next thing I want to do is set up a TNFS server of my own, I run Macs.

I see the linux64 binary, and I suspect that might even work by itself, but it's not obvious to me where to put or how to run the .linux64 file.

Any one compile this yet for Mac? Anyone able to point me in a direction to do that myself (I have opened Xcode, but in a pretty "hello, World" programming way.... still might be able to compile something someone else wrote)?

Anyway, it's late at night, I'm excited about this tool, and I wanted to check here if anyone had insight to share before I go dredging through the Google results I fear for these searches...

Hi, go to FujiNet GitHub and in the tnfs release you’ll find a Mac binary. 

Download it, change permissions to make it executable and you can start it from the command line. 
If you want it to run automatically, you can add it to launchd config.

I went so far yesterday but haven’t tested an actual connection yet as my FujiNet arrived only yesterday afternoon. 

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that. What fooled me was the AMD64 suffix on the program - I simply didn't pay attention and assumed it was Linux.

Anyways, I've tested and it works flawlessly. A very easy way to download software from the internet and serve the Atari machine locally.

Thanks

BTW, I was with the impression the image downloaded from the server would be a simple local copy (inside #fujinet) disconnected from the original file in the host. When I saw that when mounting it with write permissions actually saves the file over the image on my host... it simply blew my mind! Awesome device, even more clever software! :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 2:38 AM, ojanhk said:

Hi, go to FujiNet GitHub and in the tnfs release you’ll find a Mac binary. 

Download it, change permissions to make it executable and you can start it from the command line. 
If you want it to run automatically, you can add it to launchd config.

I went so far yesterday but haven’t tested an actual connection yet as my FujiNet arrived only yesterday afternoon. 

"change permissions to make it executable"

Mac user that needs some hand holding here...  have it downloaded, need help making it executable. Running Big Sur

Thanks!

-Tom

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/22/2021 at 11:28 PM, ojanhk said:

Open a Terminal and go to the directory where your file is located, for example of it’s in the Downloads directory:

cd ~/Downloads

Now, change permissions :

chmod 755 tnfsd.macos.amd64

Now it should start properly when you run it

I still have no luck doing that. But I have M1 mac. Can it be the problem? Thanks for helping

Can you provide your macOS version and some screenshots ? With latest versions of macOS you will get an alert stating that it cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. Simply go to System Settings/Privacy & Security and when you scroll down you’ll find a message saying that tnfsd has been blocked. There is a button « Allow anyway » next to it. Press this button and next time you run tnfsd it will work. 

Hello guys

If I understand ojanhk correctly, you can also right click the file and choose "Open".  You'll get a pop-up that looks almost the same as the one that told you you can not open the file because... , but you get the extra option to open the file anyway.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 1:24 AM, FractalCZ said:

I still have no luck doing that. But I have M1 mac. Can it be the problem? Thanks for helping

It's definitely a possibility.  Notice that the filename 'tnfsd.macos.amd64' ends in '.amd64'.  This means that it was built to run on Intel Macs.  It's possible that it may work if you install Rosetta 2, but can't confirm whether or not this is a possibility as I've never tried it.

It may just come down to having to have someone with an M*-architecture machine create an M* build. All my stuff is currently Intel, though, and probably will be for at least another year.

I just tried today using my daughter's M1 MacBook Air and it seems to work too. I downloaded the latest release for macOS.amd64, change the rights of the file and launched it. 

It complained about not being authorised, blah, blah, blah so I allowed it in the Preference pane, launched again, this time I had a warning message about it being potentially insecure, clicked "Open" and it started. 

Only thing to note, this MacBook Air is still running Monterey. 

23 hours ago, ojanhk said:

I just tried today using my daughter's M1 MacBook Air and it seems to work too. I downloaded the latest release for macOS.amd64, change the rights of the file and launched it. 

It complained about not being authorised, blah, blah, blah so I allowed it in the Preference pane, launched again, this time I had a warning message about it being potentially insecure, clicked "Open" and it started. 

Only thing to note, this MacBook Air is still running Monterey. 

Does she have Rosetta 2 installed?

Yes, without Rosetta2 the AMD64 binary wouldn’t work. I haven’t used the M1 a lot, but I think that as soon as you try to run an x86 application it proposes to installs Rosetta. Maybe not for a command line application, but at least for an app from the Mac app store. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ojanhk said:

Yes, without Rosetta2 the AMD64 binary wouldn’t work. I haven’t used the M1 a lot, but I think that as soon as you try to run an x86 application it proposes to installs Rosetta. Maybe not for a command line application, but at least for an app from the Mac app store. 

Cool.  Good to know that it works under Rosetta 2.

My recollection of Rosetta - and this was years ago, so take it for what it's worth - is that it worked as you described: Application packages would prompt to install Rosetta, but anything that ran in a shell wouldn't.  Not surprised if they've taken the same approach here.

8 hours ago, mozzwald said:

The MacOS tnfsd binary never got updated on github and is old. I've put the latest version at https://fujinet.online/download if you want to try it

Is there a possibility that it may be checked in at some point and maintained from there?  I'm interested in possibly getting Homebrew to bring in as much of the TNFS stuff as possible, but having read through their requirements an active repo would make that a lot more likely to happen.

@x=usr(1536) think what needs to happen is to switch over to the "new" tnfsd repo (https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/tnfsd). This is the repo created by the upstream spectranet project. I forked it to FujiNet so I could push the last bug fix upstream but did not have time to compare the code with our older "spectranet" named repo. If we can verify all our FujiNet updates are already in the new repo (and push any upstream that are needed) you could use that for Homebrew.

edit: it would also be nice for github actions to build the binaries when pushing a release, or someone would need to manually create the release

Edited by mozzwald
release
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

@x=usr(1536) think what needs to happen is to switch over to the "new" tnfsd repo (https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/tnfsd). This is the repo created by the upstream spectranet project. I forked it to FujiNet so I could push the last bug fix upstream but did not have time to compare the code with our older "spectranet" named repo. If we can verify all our FujiNet updates are already in the new repo (and push any upstream that are needed) you could use that for Homebrew.

edit: it would also be nice for github actions to build the binaries when pushing a release, or someone would need to manually create the release

Totally understood, and agreed.  Regarding the binaries, can we come back to that once the repo situation is fully-sorted?  100% behind you that they should be built automatically.

None of this has to happen next Tuesday, but being able to build all of the FujiNet-related tools and supporting binaries, documentation, etc. would be a huge win (and help).  I do mean this in the multiplatform sense; while I am a Mac user on the desktop, everything on the backend is a mix of Linux, BSD, and Windows.  Regardless of the platform in use, everything FujiNet-related should be made as accessible (and updatable) as possible IMHO.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, FractalCZ said:

Hi, guys. After a several months, I'm trying to understand this thread again. No luck at all. Please, can you tell me what to do with that damn amd64 file? I'm running Ventura on M1 Macbook PRO. Thank you very much.

An arm64 version for macOS will be posted to fujinet.online's download section today.

-Thom

• Like 1