IGNORED

Anyone want to loan me a Jaguar for a week?

grips03

I think my Jaguar might have an audio issue, but perhaps not.  Would someone loan me Jaguar for a week to test Rebooteroids game with the console?  In return if you mail it with a working Jaguar controller I'll install a rapid fire 2.0 kit in that controller (no cost to you).  You pay shipping to me in CT, USA.  I pay shipping back (USA).  I would not need any audio or power cables.  Send a PM if interested.

55 minutes ago, grips03 said:

I think my Jaguar might have an audio issue, but perhaps not.  Would someone loan me Jaguar for a week to test Rebooteroids game with the console?  In return if you mail it with a working Jaguar controller I'll install a rapid fire 2.0 kit in that controller (no cost to you).  You pay shipping to me in CT, USA.  I pay shipping back (USA).  I would not need any audio or power cables.  Send a PM if interested.

Rebooteroids uses a standard U235SE Engine.  Nothing more, nothing less.  There's an abundence of other titles using this DSP engine.

What problems are you having?

4 hours ago, grips03 said:

think my Jaguar might have an audio issue, but perhaps not.  Would someone loan me Jaguar for a week to test Rebooteroids game with the console?

Do you not have any other cartridges to test with?

If the fault lies with the Jag then it would be reasonable to expect there to be sound issues with all cartridges.

Say it costs $20 or less to ship to me,  but I give them rapid fire 2.0 kit ($30) and install it ($20-30) for no cost to them, and then mail it back at my cost ($20 or less).  The way I see it the person doing the loan is getting a rapid fire kit installed for $20 or less and I get to see if the console is the issue.

This is the only game the has strange static sounds and loses high scores.  Al replaced the cart and the game does the same thing.  I'm going to replace the power adapter and video cable today.  I already tried different speakers/amp.

I compared to Youtube and it makes different sounds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grips03 said:

Say it costs $20 or less to ship to me,  but I give them rapid fire 2.0 kit ($30) and install it ($20-30) for no cost to them, and then mail it back at my cost ($20 or less).  The way I see it the person doing the loan is getting a rapid fire kit installed for $20 or less and I get to see if the console is the issue.

This is the only game the has strange static sounds and loses high scores.  Al replaced the cart and the game does the same thing.  I'm going to replace the power adapter and video cable today.  I already tried different speakers/amp.

I compared to Youtube and it makes different sounds.

Number of copies shipped: Many

Number of people reporting that:1

It's your Jaguar, or something plugged into it.

38 minutes ago, grips03 said:

Do you know why the game deletes the high scores, its seems very random.

Yes, its when its plugged into your console :)

Joking aside - The game only does that when you select the option from the menu or it cannot verify the checksum and re-creates the save block.

[EDIT] Also if A+0 are held on boot - in case of corruption it can be reset.

[EDIT] If I'm not mistaken, Raiden uses A for fire.  I'd suspect your autofire mod is strobing A+0 randomly.

[EDIT] Your "it seems very random" would be consistent with "is my autofire circuitry on or off?" when it reads the port to check.

My BJL Jaguar does *very* odd things when volatges are put on the joyport pins not designed to have volteges on them (used the wrong BJL cable!) so maybe check that as you might be using non-standard controllers.

• Like 1

Strobing is not possible.  RF code is written in such a way that the RF mod does nothing by default.  RF also only works on B button, not A button, this is controlled by a logic gate. 

When a highscore is deleted, it does not delete them all.  Example first time playing new cart Al sent I get 179K.  Send time playing I get 190K.  Now only 190K is only score listed besides the default one built in the game.

10 minutes ago, grips03 said:

Strobing is not possible.  RF code is written in such a way that the RF mod does nothing by default.  RF also only works on B button, not A button, this is controlled by a logic gate. 

When a highscore is deleted, it does not delete them all.  Example first time playing new cart Al sent I get 179K.  Send time playing I get 190K.  Now only 190K is only score listed besides the default one built in the game.

I'm happy you are so sure in your work you don't need to check it. I wish I had your confidence, but alas, I did check if it might have been a problem on my side.

Try a normal joypad.  Your hardware is the only difference to hundreds of other copies of this. And Rebooteroids *DOES* check the port status on boot, and *WILL* erase the EEPROM if it finds A+0.

• Like 1

I would guess it is controller related as well. Lots of weird things happen with Jag's and faulty controllers. I had a six button controller not too long ago (new, from the AA store) that for some reason was mapping pause and a button at the same time. Al exchanged it and he confirmed it was a problem with the controller. If the game is checking port status and will erase EEPROM if it finds a specific button combo I would say that would be the first thing to check (the controller that is)

• Like 1

I used a scope while developing the rf mod, so yes with a scope I never saw any strobing.  Also from your description it seems all the highscores would be removed, not just one.

In earlier versions of Rebooteroids I saw beta testers reporting static sounds.  I'm not sure if root cause was ever found, do you know? 

Just now, eightbit said:

I would guess it is controller related as well. Lots of weird things happen with Jag's and faulty controllers. I had a six button controller not too long ago (new, from the AA store) that for some reason was mapping pause and a button at the same time. Al exchanged it and he confirmed it was a problem with the controller. If the game is checking port status and will erase EEPROM if it finds a specific button combo I would say that would be the first thing to check (the controller that is)

You are describing a short on the ribbon cable connection.  Its common on the repro pro controllers due to bad soldering job.  This is not the issue here.

In earlier versions of Rebooteroids I saw beta testers reporting static sounds.  I'm not sure if root cause was ever found, do you know? 

Yeah, it was. Rebooteroids saw rather extensive testing, as do all my games.  I'm not perfect, which is why I checked the code. But this seems related to you and you alone.

If you aren't prepared to test a fault on the only different piece of hardware in the mix then I'm not going to assist any further. 

How hard is it for you to test with a standard controller??

Maybe I should add: "grips03 modified controlers might possibly cause issues with this game" to the site?

/smfh

• Haha 1

This thread is about me borrowing a console.  Which should prove if its my console or not. 

You think its the controller for some reason.  I think its not, do to using scope and never seeing what you are saying.  Only seeing one score removed, not all highscores.  Knowing that the gate only allows B to be changed, and the RF mod only uses pin column 3.  0 could not be produced by the mod.  If the gate on the mod board messed up it could produce B,1,4,7,*, it really can't produce 0.

I would recommend you ignore the thread, as I think you are upset about someone borrowing a console, as they think their console might be broken as Al already replaced the cart.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 6.09.18 PM.png

Just now, grips03 said:

This thread is about me borrowing a console.  Which should prove if its my console or not. 

You think its the controller for some reason.  I think its not, do to using scope and never seeing what you are saying.  Only seeing one score removed, not all highscores.  Knowing that the gate only allows B to be changed, and the RF mod only uses pin column 3.  0 could not be produced by the mod.  If the gate on the mod board messed up it could produce B,1,4,7,*, it really can't produce 0.

I would recommend you ignore the thread, as I think you are upset about someone borrowing a console, as they think their console might be broken as Al already replaced the cart.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 6.09.18 PM.png

Wow. Just wow.

So you'd rather someone mail you a console through USPS because you cannot be bothered to test with another controller.  That is just... wow.

I have no words for the stupidity involved here.

g'day, sir.

• Haha 1

Checked the code again:

If A+0 is held down the screen will strobe black/white for about 3-5 seconds.  Do you see that on bootup when it corrupts?

I still think you should check with another controller to confirm and rule out the possibilty of a short.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grips03 said:

I don't play any other Jag games where I even look at the highscore,  so partially working EPROM pins could certainly be the issue.

Glad you enjoy the game enough to check :)

I do hope you fix this.  Reading back, that was... uncalled for.  No excuses, but I'll admit when I'm wrong.  Good luck with fixing the Jaguar.

• Like 2